For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

If Unreal 2 Won't Install On latest Win10 Version

Unreal2 seems to vanish more and more too. Time to put it up here :)
Fred
OldUnreal Member

If Unreal 2 Won't Install On latest Win10 Version

Post by Fred »

Recently, I built a computer running Windows 10 Home. I had to install all my games in the new system. My latest version of Win10 refused to install Unreal 2. My prior versions always allowed Unreal 2 to install. Previously, I never had to resort to using one of the Win10 Compatibility modes to get the game to install.

So, this time I tried Windows XP Compatibility mode to determine whether that mode would allow Windows to permit the game to be installed. Nope Windows didn't like that either. Then, I tried Vista Compatibility mode. That mode didn't work either. Now what? Oh, there's more. I then tried Windows 7 Compatibility mode. That mode didn't work either. Oh my.

I then tried Windows 8 Compatibility mode. No go there either. Windows 10 has a Windows 98 Compatibility mode, but I didn't try that mode sooner because I believed that that mode was going back too far, That mode couldn't be right, I thought.

Even so, in desperation, I then, as a last resort, tried installing the game using Windows 98 Compatibility mode. Presto! Windows 10 installed Unreal 2 straightaway. Who would have thunk? Anyway, Unreal 2 is now working properly in the latest version of Windows 10. What next!!??

Fred
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: If Unreal 2 Won't Install On latest Win10 Version

Post by Hellkeeper »

Interesting, U2 installed fine on my W10. Are you using the original CD or did you buy it on some online platform?
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Hellkeeper,

What do you mean by "Are you using the original CD or did you buy it on some online platform?" It's an original CD, the same as anyone can buy. I have several such CDs that I purchased online in original sealed case. New and original Unreal 2 CDs are available if one looks for them. The game also installed fine, after using Win98 compatibility mode.

Fred
lowenz
OldUnreal Member

Post by lowenz »

No problem with the Anthology Unreal 2 release.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Fred wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:41 am Hellkeeper,

What do you mean by "Are you using the original CD or did you buy it on some online platform?"
I meant: is it installed from a CD or downloaded from Epic, Steam, GOG or some other digital platform that doesn't provide a physical media. I got my answer. :)
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

If this goes on indeed you might have to start installing games within virtualbox/dosbox stuff lol.

Return to “Unreal2 General Forum”