For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal Tournament GOTY: Enhanced bot support: Assault

The forum related to the Usermaps section, please ask questions here. This board is for mappers to discuss and exchange experiences
UnsureJedi

Unreal Tournament GOTY: Enhanced bot support: Assault

Post by UnsureJedi »

Releasing modified Assault maps for UT GOTY with improved bot pathing. Each map has had ~98% of the paths changed to some degree, some were added. For one, bots will now spend less time trying to get to wherever they want to go. Attacking bots will use alternate routes where possible to reach an objective that will stretch the defenders attention to more than 1 area. Defending bots will benefit from better camping positions (which may provide cover, have health/armor nearby, exploit the bottleneck for the attackers, or even surprise them) and reduced amount of friendly fire. There are numerous lesser behavior adjustments that make bots use a map to their limits. All this sums up to a more challenging and pleasant gameplay in single player.
Important note is that maps were not modified in any other way than bot support (only "Build Paths" build type was used in UnrealEd).
==================================================
Title : Unreal Tournament GOTY: Enhanced bot support: Assault
Release Date : 04.05.2020
Author(s) : UnsureJedi, Epic Games
E-mail Address : UnsureJedi@gmail.com
==================================================
Game(s) : UT GOTY
Level Names : AS-Frigate, AS-Guardia, AS-HiSpeed, AS-Mazon, AS-OceanFloor, AS-Overlord, AS-Rook
Editor(s) used: UnrealEd 2.0

Installation :
Extract the .zip contents into your Unreal\Maps directory.

Credits:
Myself: Pathing
Epic Games: Everything else

Screenshots:

Download:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sUX4n ... 0sqtejdyfF

P.S. The thing with bots is that they themselves are flawed in team games. I tried modifying their code but that means recompiling botpack.u (in UnrealScript). UnrealEd can view its classes and I can modify them. I even found that some serious flaws for team games can be fixed with just a couple of code lines there. The problem is that UnrealEd (or UCC, I tried it as well) cannot compile botpack, with or without the modifications, relating to missing files. These files are available as part of the game and I could extract them and adjust the code to reference the extracted files but they include .3d models, texture packs, extracting and ordering which is a lot of work.
Thus, if anyone has compile-able version of botpack, I could fix the majority of the flaws and we could make the bots even more challenging and, more importantly, less map-dependent.
Last edited by UnsureJedi on Wed May 13, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Usermaps”