For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Phoenix Mission Pack 2: The Blue Mountains

The forum related to the Usermaps section, please ask questions here. This board is for mappers to discuss and exchange experiences
Unpunished
OldUnreal Member

Post by Unpunished »

EDIT, 11SEP2017: Released!Download

Hey, folks! So I actually finished this pack in February but I had a lot going on and was unable to add the finishing touches.

There are 12 maps total in this pack, two of which are cutscenes.

The pack is currently not compatible with coop play as it has cutscene maps. Will be releasing the coop-enabled version without cutscenes here in the next week.

-------------------
General Information
-------------------

By: 'Unpunished'
Play Time: Roughly 45-60 minutes.
Ideal Player Load: 1-4

--------------
Brief Overview
--------------

-You are a member of Phoenix Security Group. Your organization has been contracted by a human survivor in the Blue Mountains region on Na Pali to assist in eradicating the mercenary presence near him.

-Your primary objectives are as follows: seal a Skaarj mine that the mercenaries have reopened, find out what happened to a team sent by the client to scout out a Nali fortress, and assault a mercenary research facility.

-The first map in the pack is 'NaShena'. From there, you will receive information on your mission.

------------
Screenshots
------------

Na Shena Village: Receive your mission.

Flooded Caverns: Nearing the Skaarj mine, you reach a series of caverns deep underground.

Krekkjal Mine: An old Skaarj mine that has been long abandoned, until the mercenaries reopened it. Seal it for good.

Nevod Mountain Pass: Reaching a narrow mountain pass, you must now proceed to the old Nali fortress to accomplish your second objective.

Serasac Passage: You must move through a passage in the mountains that takes you near a memorial to the Nali rebellion, and towards the mercenary base.

Mercenary Research Facility: Arriving at the mercenary base, you must now accomplish your third objective - eradicate any and all opposition!

------------
New Features
------------

-Experience fighting in the Blue Mountains region of Na Pali, with maps specifically built to resemble those of the original Unreal.
-See a little of what happened during and after the Nali rebellion by exploring such places as a rebel Nali fortress and a memorial to their victory.
-Take part in a 'Gears of War' style firefight where you must take cover from attacking baddies while returning fire.

-----
Notes
-----

-This mission pack features more streamlined gameplay than PHXMP1; it uses cutscenes and in-game messages instead of constantly returning to a hub for briefings.

-This is the spiritual successor to the very first map pack for Unreal that I ever made...probably about ten years ago. I had two objectives with this pack: capture the overall feel and atmosphere of Unreal, and use the environment and outdoorsy settings of the Blue Mountains that I created all those years ago.

-Some of these maps are extremely dark; this is not an error or oversight, they are intended to be dark to add to the atmosphere. You may need to adjust your brightness slightly if you have serious problems. However, myself and many of those who tested this pack with me have had no issues.
Last edited by Unpunished on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Re: Phoenix Mission Pack 2: The Blue Mountains

Post by makemeunreal »

Ohhh man. I just can't wait. I had so much fun playin' the first episode.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

Wow amazing news! I really enjoyed the first map pack so I'm definitely keeping my eyes peeled on this one! :o
AlCapowned
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlCapowned »

It's nice to still see new releases. I don't have much time to play Unreal anymore, but the view of the ship overlooking the village in the first map is pretty striking. Keep up the good work!
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

:D :D :D Be polite... Be polite... Be polite... :D :D :D
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

Played it and loved the atmosphere, I liked the extended lore with the Mercs taking over the role from the Skaarj as main oppressor after p849's departure. It was also nice to see what happened to the other stranded people, with this prisoner guy becoming the guardian of the village. I did get some vibes from Wanderer as well, which is nice :P

My primary complaint about the previous episode still stands though,  there is so little health! This results in me having to quicksave every encounter and quickload like 20 times before I make it through, this gets really ridiculous at the end where.... oldunreal needs a spoiler tag

So all in all a good addition to the napali-unreal universe. I can't wait for episode 3  8-)
Last edited by Turboman. on Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

These episodes are one of the best singleplayer experiences I've ever had in Unreal. NICELY DONE!
NaPaliShore
OldUnreal Member

Post by NaPaliShore »

Very excited for the co-op compatible version of this pack! (Since these days all my play-throughs of Unreal maps and campaigns are done in co-op mode with one friend of mine...)
NaPaliShore
OldUnreal Member

Post by NaPaliShore »

Any updates on the co-op version?

Has anybody tried the current version in co-op mode? (Do the cut scenes make it impossible to play in co-op?)
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

FWIW I just added this pack to my coop server. I haven't tested it so I don't know if it will all work, partially work, or just crash. I put all the maps at the top of the voting list so when you get on the server wait for the voting to load and then follow the prompt to bring it up. This way if there is a map that won't work you can skip over it and still go on.

Be warned that my server is heavily modified to be exploration. You have to try hard to die and you have access to tools and commands that let you go anywhere, do just about anything. If you want to actually 'play' this series then you totally should offline. If you just want to see the maps then by all means hop on the coop server.

Just look for my server in the coop tab.

Update: played through nearly half. The cutscene map "Anubis Cutscene" will not download from the server so it's not playable if you don't have it installed. If you cause the server to play this map just wait 10 minutes and the server will autoswitch to the default hub map and you can then vote past the cutscene and continue on. My server always goes to the home map when it's empty as a way to prevent it from being stuck on an unplayable map.
Last edited by gopostal on Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
Unpunished
OldUnreal Member

Post by Unpunished »

Hey guys! Thanks for the feedback :D

Turboman: I know, my health placement is terrible :( trust me, your feedback is very much appreciated and I implemented that into PHXMP3 when I started developing it. In my plan for the pack I dedicated time to doing a run-through separate from all my other testing to ensure health was placed enough. Haven't done any development with it in several months however :/ I've been super busy with my career.

makemeunreal: Thanks so much! Your kind words mean a lot, seriously. I'm glad I've been able to provide the community with some fun new ventures into the world of Unreal.

AlCapowned: I appreciate it! The sun behind the Anubis in the first map was actually completely unintentional, hahaha. Things just kinda fell into place that way.

NaPaliShore: Yeah, I did start converting the maps to co-op. All I realistically have to do is save separate versions of the maps, get rid of the cutscene following NevodPass, and place the communications from PHX command in the map itself rather than dedicating a separate map to them. I just haven't had the time to finish that! I will absolutely work on having that out prior to the end of the year, but no promises. Thanks so much for your patience, though.

gopostal: I appreciate that! Again, sorry about the incompatibility but I will be addressing this hopefully before the end of the year.

You guys rock!

-Unpunished
NaPaliShore
OldUnreal Member

Post by NaPaliShore »

NaPaliShore: Yeah, I did start converting the maps to co-op. All I realistically have to do is save separate versions of the maps, get rid of the cutscene following NevodPass,  and place the communications from PHX command in the map itself rather than dedicating a separate map to them. I just haven't had the time to finish that! I will absolutely work on having that out prior to the end of the year, but no promises. Thanks so much for your patience, though.
Awesome - will look forward to the co-op version whenever you have the time to work on it. Don't feel pressured or rushed - any time that version becomes available I'll be excited to check it out!
Unpunished
OldUnreal Member

Post by Unpunished »

Working on that co-op conversion today! Also, I realized that in the original download file I accidentally included some of my development notes. Lol...oops >.>

Question for mods or people familiar with these forums: why can't I modify my original post? There's no option for me to edit it so that I can add in the new download link for co-op conversion...help!

-Unpunished
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Can you message me when you get them done? I don't normally ask for special treatment but I'm afraid I'll miss it.

My excuse: I'm a mailman. It's mid December. FML lol :D
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

My excuse: I'm a mailman. It's mid December. FML lol :D
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

Keep sending us to different planets!
Nalisavior

Post by Nalisavior »

I just finished playing through your campaign and I loved it! The Nali fortress map was my favorite. I noticed all the little details you put into your maps. Thank you for creating this for all of us to enjoy! ;D
NaPaliShore
OldUnreal Member

Post by NaPaliShore »

Working on that co-op conversion today! ...

-Unpunished
Almost forgot about this pack - was super looking forward to it, but would prefer to play it for the first time in co-op mode with friends.

Will it ever be released in a co-op friendly version? Would be so cool if it could!

Return to “Usermaps”