For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

UnrealEd 2.0 settings not saved

Ask UnrealEd 2 mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks
Stogie83

UnrealEd 2.0 settings not saved

Post by Stogie83 »

Hi all,
After how many years, i installed UT99 again, because quarantine, and having to much time i wanted to try myself in mapping again.
But everytime i start UnrealED 2.0, my viewport are back to default settings, under "File" it doesn´t show the last map i´ve opened, and autosave doesn´t work.
I heard years ago that this issue happened under Win8, that settings wont be saved in the .ini file, i´m using Win10.
Is there any workaround, or what do i have to edit in the .ini file to have at least autosave working and Ed remembers my viewport settings please?
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: UnrealEd 2.0 settings not saved

Post by Hellkeeper »

I had this problem for a while too, using Windows 10. I have no idea what caused it, you can see how I and a few others tries to find the source here.
For some reason, UnrealEd seems to be unable to write anything in UnrealEd.ini, so viewport configuratiion, "Most Recently Used" textures, maps or packages are now written, the software basically resets every time you shut it down. If you write manually in UnrealEd.ini, it will work: adding a map to the list of last opened map will make it appear in UnrealEd, but it will never be replaced by new ones as you use the editor.

Unfortunately, I found no fix except reinstalling the entire game. :(
You must construct additional pylons.
Stogie83

Post by Stogie83 »

Tried reinstalling already, no luck. And tried several other things too from the link you posted (thanks btw). Nothing. Ended up manually editing the .ini file, but what is the command line for autosave please?

And will there be a fix in v469 update?
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

So far I've not seen anybody able to explain why this happens and it seems to come and go at random, not easily reproducible. I guess it must be pinpointed with some accuracy to be fixed by patch 469.
Which I have tried by the way, but reinstalling the game under another folder name had fixed the bug even before, so it is not something in the patch that fixed the issue for me.

Maybe try to reinstall the game somewhere else, like in a folder named UT99 instead of the default UnrealTournament?

The command for autosave is in UnrealTournament.ini, under [Editor.EditorEngine], set AutoSave=True.
You must construct additional pylons.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Looks like there's some unrealed related registry keys at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Epic MegaGames\UnrealEd
Stogie83

Post by Stogie83 »

Looks like there's some unrealed related registry keys at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Epic MegaGames\UnrealEd
There isn´t any unrealed entry in the reg! Maybe this is the issue?
eGo
OldUnreal Member

Post by eGo »

Registry entries only stored by UEd V1...v2 and higher uses INI file for the settings.

If you really need v436 to work with....install it into a VM with XP or Win7 ;)
Tool Developer & Software Engineer
https://www.ego-creations.de
Stogie83

Post by Stogie83 »

Registry entries only stored by UEd V1...v2 and higher uses INI file for the settings.

If you really need v436 to work with....install it into a VM with XP or Win7  ;)
What are the other options? Don´t have XP or Win7 anymore.

Another weird problem that showed up today, i was moving a light actor,  the editor crashed. At first, when trying to re-open the map in Ed, it crashed again.
More, my mouse was acting weird when i tried to play UT. Had to restart the PC to fix it. Anyone had to deal with that weird issue?

EDIT: Installed Unreal 1 Gold, installed the 227i patch, works like a charm, settings getting saved, and i can continue working on my map.
Last edited by Stogie83 on Mon May 11, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “UnrealEd 2, the editor for UnrealTournament”