For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Spawning as spectator - Unreal Editor 2.0

Ask UnrealEd 2 mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks
Worpend
OldUnreal Member

Spawning as spectator - Unreal Editor 2.0

Post by Worpend »

Hey folks, glad to see that there's still some life in this game/editor. I found myself getting back into creating maps and I'm currently working on a city littered with skyscrapers full of the zombie pawns from the "MH-DeadCity" Monster Hunt maps. As time went on and I started adding more and more content, suddenly I found myself spawning in spectator mode whenever I decide to play test it. I figured maybe my player set up was messed up, but that didn't seem to be any different than usual. So I'm thinking maybe I accidentally changed the level properties in some way, or maybe a level zone, not quite sure. I also tried loading up other maps just to see if it was specific to my map, and sure enough that's the case; every other map loads properly, mine is stuck in spectator mode.

Anybody experience a similar problem, or perhaps there's like one setting I flipped in some way that I don't know exists yet?
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Re: Spawning as spectator - Unreal Editor 2.0

Post by gopostal »

As an aside if you are into zombies I have some different ones. Loathsome was working on zombies for a couple of years and made some pretty good changes. (We miss you Loath!) They are slower zombies but can overwhelm you with sheer numbers.

If you want you can send me your map and let me look at the settings. I cannot tell you the number of times I've sent my code to someone for help and they immediately see some 'thing' I did wrong that I was just blind to because I was so close to the project. If you are going to map then you should find a couple of like-minded buddies so you can debug each other's stuff. UT99.org is a good place for this.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
Worpend
OldUnreal Member

Post by Worpend »

Hey man, thanks for the reply, I actually know who you are. Been a looooong time, but I was pretty regularly involved over at Monster Hunt Mayhem on the House of Hermskii forums with the username "Prowner" years back. Crazy that you're still pretty regularly involved to this day! Had a blast back then doing anything Unreal Tournament related so I've been messing around in Unreal Editor 2.0 again deciding to make some fun map that has replayability that me and my buddies can dick around in. Now that I'm a bit older than I was first messing around with it 13 years ago, I figured I could have much more solid grasp at what I'm actually doing.

I'm also going through Unreal Engine 4 and trying to apply a lot of what I know from Unreal Editor over there as kind of a foundation for learning that. Much more complex for sure, but there are definitely a lot of similarities and more modern versions of existing things from the archaic version I'm used to with preexisting assets. I live in Seattle now, so I kinda dream of being a level designer over at the Epic Games studio up here, or really any role for that matter I just wanna work with the Unreal Engine.

Anyways... Yeah, I can perhaps send the project over to you if that's what would be easier. I've never needed to transfer UE2.0 project, so if there's a specific way to compress a group of essential files along with the project file or something lemme know. However I think I've only been using assets from the base game aside from the Monster Hunt package; there's not a whole lot to look at quite yet, still early stage.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

You can just send the map, I'm sure I have anything else it might need. Don't worry, as soon as we work out the problem I'll delete everything on my end. My email is the same: agutgopostal at either gmail or hotmail. I live in Oregon so we are on the same time zone if you ever want to chat/talk shop.

I remember you from Herms. Nice to see you picking the old tools back up. Damn, that reminds me I should call Herm and see how that old fart is doing.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day

Return to “UnrealEd 2, the editor for UnrealTournament”