For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

determine unreal editor build of game

Ask UnrealEd 2 mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks
un999

determine unreal editor build of game

Post by un999 »

Hello guys,

I managed to get a copy of an unreleased game that used a modified version of the unreal 2.5 engine. As it is an Xbox build there was no unreal editor included. But the folder structure and filetypes are the same like older unreal games (for example .usx, .unr).

With the Umodel Viewer I'm able to view the static meshes and textures for example. But I wondered if there is any possibility to open the .unr files - at least to get the map structure out of it (add/sub brushes).

I tried with several editors (Unreal Tournament 2003,2004, Unreal 2) to open the texture and static Mesh packages. Some opened the textures but none opened the static meshes. I understand it's not possible to open the .unr files since the game was created using a modified unreal engine. But I wondered which unreal editor was used exactely to create this game (build version that shows up at the top when starting the editor). Is there any possibility to determine that from the game files ? Or does anyone have an idea on how to open the maps ? The game can't be played from a normal xbox - so the editor would be the only way to explore the game.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Re: determine unreal editor build of game

Post by gopostal »

You should get with Bob on this. He's amazing at getting things extracted from all manner of engines and then importing them into Unreal227. As far as my limited knowledge goes I don't recall ever seeing saved information in the packages over what was used to create them.

Do you have any plans on sharing your find with those of us that enjoy ripping into games like that? It looks like it's becoming safer to do this now too: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/old-o ... 37992.html
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
Pitbull
Administrator

Post by Pitbull »

I believe they used a specialized version of U Ed2 called UE2X. I'd have to double check but I believe UE2 came with UT2003.
Upon this rock I will build my church O:-)

LOADING HATERS..████████████] 99% Complete.
Buster
Global Moderator

Post by Buster »

Yeah, I think it's a version of the UT2003 engine, sort of. Post-UT99 and pre-UT2004. Quite a few studios (groups, people etc) used modified 2.5s, because Epic wanted the 'community' to smooth out the features of their new engine before it was 'finalized' with the release of UT2004. A crackdown on piracy was just gaining momentum at that time, too. Mostly in the music industry, but affecting the gaming community quite a bit.
Last edited by Buster on Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
:-)_~
un999

Post by un999 »

Hello again :)

Thank you for your answers. The game I'm talking about is that first stargate game that got cancelled. Though I would really like to share it - I can't because certain people would get in trouble - and I wouldn't want to risk anybody. The game itself has actually a pc build as well. I suppose it was created first for the pc and later modified for the xbox. The pc build has actually an editor but the guy who has it promised to the developers he wouldn't leak it.

Until today I don't understand why the developers can't leak it and why MGM would cause trouble.
Buster
Global Moderator

Post by Buster »

Yup, I'm another person that was involved with the SG Unreal project, though my contribution was small. If it's the same SG game you're talking about. I wrote a bunch of story line ideas, and did some path node tweaks. It would've been a fun game to play.

I can totally relate to people wanting to protect their intellectual property. Giving stuff, basically hundreds of hours of work, away for free is fine, but if you're going to make money off it you got to pay the original creator.

If you're not willing to use others stuff, put in countless hours of work yourself and release it for free too, than it's usually all good. If there's a risk of anyone using your stuff for their own material gain then you have to keep it all locked up.

I gave the SG based story to that particular group of people and ONLY them. It's not their place to give it to anyone else. That includes other stuff like coding, models, textures, levels, editor tools, etc.

And that's just the opinion of a nobody. Me. Never mind how fiercely a corporation will protect their interests.

>:(
Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
:-)_~
un999

Post by un999 »

Thank you for that interesting explanation, Buster :)

Never thought about it in that way - meaning that if an abandoned game gets leaked other people might take up some assets for example some static meshes and modulate the texture -> it would be a bit hard to determine who's the original creator - I suppose.

On the other hand - there seems to be some trading going on for this title - so indirectly some people are indeed making money out of it but neither of them is MGM nor the developers. It is also interesting that Stargate Worlds was cancelled too but its beta version is available for download on the Web Archive.

The title I was writing about is "Alliance" - where you involved in that one, buster ?

luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

You can revive that Stargate indie game in Unreal Engine 4 instead of 2 or 1.Mortal Kombat 11 was made in Unreal Engine 3.

Return to “UnrealEd 2, the editor for UnrealTournament”