For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Awful Skybox Seams

Ask UnrealEd 2 mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks
dustinechoes849
OldUnreal Member

Awful Skybox Seams

Post by dustinechoes849 »

Hiya!
It's been awhile since I've played/mapped for Unreal or visited these forums. This morning, I decided to start mapping again.

Anyway...

So I'm having a bit of trouble with a pre-rendered skybox, and need help.

LOOK AT THOSE SEAMS
they're 10x worse in-game

I have the skybox unlit and with "bright corners" enabled.
It distracts from my chunky low-res skybox!!! :D
Last edited by dustinechoes849 on Sat May 19, 2018 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: Awful Skybox Seams

Post by Hellkeeper »

Pre-rendered skyboxes always do this in UT99.
The easiest way to correct it is to export your skybox textures and fake clamping.
Say your texture is 256*256, you export it and put it at the center of a 512*512 texture. Then select a 256*1 line of pixels at the very top of your texture and duplicate this line above the texture up to the edge of the 512*512 drawing zone. Repeat this for the 4 sides of the 6 textures of your render.

Then use these textures for your skybox. Keep the same scale and the same size for your surfaces, just center the "normal" part of your textures on the faces and the edges will blend smoothly into each other.

This problem is caused by the filtering of textures in D3D and OpenGL It blends the outermost lines of pixels of a texture together, creating the seams. UT2004 includes a Clamp mode for texture which does exactly what I described : it stretches the edges of textures. Since adjacent faces of a skybox have similar edges, they then blend nicely together. With normal filtering, each edge has a seam where it blends with the other side of itself.
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Sat May 19, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You must construct additional pylons.

Return to “UnrealEd 2, the editor for UnrealTournament”