For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Kill Pawn Trigger

Ask UnrealEd 2 mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks
JollyOlSport
OldUnreal Member

Kill Pawn Trigger

Post by JollyOlSport »

I am trying to figure out how to kill a pawn once it has reached its destination.
Essentially, I am making a path for a pawn to follow (once the player has activated the trigger to get it going) and when he gets to its destination, the pawn dies.

What series of events, triggers, tags, etc. would I need to use in order for this to work?

Thanks
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: Kill Pawn Trigger

Post by Hellkeeper »

Make the pawn walk through a trigger. Have the trigger activate a SpecialEvent whose InitialState is set to KillInstigator.

Trigger => Events => Event = "SomethingHere"
SpecialEvent => Events = >Tag = "SomethingHere".
SpecialEvent => Object => InitialState = "KillInstigator".

If you want to prevent another creature (or the player) from dying by this setup, you can set the Trigger to only work once by setting the trigger to bTriggerOnceOnly = True under the Trigger tab of the Trigger's properties.
If you want only a certain type of pawn to activate the trigger, set, under the same tab, TriggerType to TT_ClassProximity, and set the desired class(es) in ClassProximityType (you can select the desired class directly from the Actor Browser, just select the desired type of monster). You can combine this with TriggerOnceOnly.
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You must construct additional pylons.
JollyOlSport
OldUnreal Member

Post by JollyOlSport »

Would there be any way for the pawn to start walking as soon as the player hits a trigger?

Say the player walks up to a window, that activates a trigger that then causes the monster to start walking towards the kill switch.

What trigger might I also use in order for a pawn to walk a certain path?

(Sorry bout the butt load of questions, working on a project and I'm sorta new to this stuff)
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

You need to use AlarmPoints for that.
Set an AlarmPoint wherever you need the creature to go (the end of its path), and make sure there's a path between it and creature's starting poing.
Set a trigger in front of the window and trigger the ceature's Tag. Change the Creature's AlarmTag to match the AlarmPoint's tag.
That should be enough to have the guy move to the desired location.
JollyOlSport
OldUnreal Member

Post by JollyOlSport »

It all works, except for the trigger to get the monster to start moving. If I walk up close to the monster, it goes to where I need it to go and dies, but if I try to activate the trigger behind the window, it doesn't do anything at all. Any solutions?
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

It should work. Triggering a creature has the same effect as walking into its field of view.
Check your events tag. The Trigger's Event must match the creature's Tag. I just tested the setup with a random mercenary in a corridor and it works fine.
Is you creature in ATTITUDE_Hate ?
JollyOlSport
OldUnreal Member

Post by JollyOlSport »

No, my creatures attitude is set to Friendly.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Creatures set to Friendly will not perform their actions the same way when linked to an AlarmTag: they wait for the player and gesture to him, only moving once the played has reached them. In other words, Friendly creatures use AlarmPoints to guide the player.

If the creature can't be reached and can't be reached later in the game (which seems to be the case, given that the entire thing is supposed to kill it), set it to ATTITUDE_Hate, no matter what and it will work as desired.
JollyOlSport
OldUnreal Member

Post by JollyOlSport »

Yeah, I figured I might as well set it to Hate. Anyways, this helped A LOT, thanks man, appreciate it. ;D

Return to “UnrealEd 2, the editor for UnrealTournament”