For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

UED2 Simple but accurate guide for nobheads like me.

Ask UnrealEd 2 mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks
KeeperUTX
OldUnreal Member

UED2 Simple but accurate guide for nobheads like me.

Post by KeeperUTX »

What I'm looking for is a 'simplistic' but still accurate guide of UED2, because I intend to make a map or two. (I.E. Remake of the Unreal flyby for my UT- 50% done). Basically speaking, I may be smart, but I need to know more about UED2!
Azhir uval nutarus. Azhir mudas ethanul. Dalektharu il dask daku. Riftuuz e thara samanar utamus. Elas umanes azarathan rakas ibna.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: UED2 Simple but accurate guide for nobheads like me.

Post by Hellkeeper »

What do you need to know ? There is a help file included in Unreal in patch 227 (search for Help.chm in your /Help directory). It should launch from Unrealed Help=>UnrealEd 2.1 Help, but depending on your system, you may have to launch it manually (UnrealEd's button might not work).

The wiki [url=http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mapping]has many tutorials[/url]. It explains most of the new 227 features, and it should be very useful, even it is still incomplete (message in a bottle : anyone able to help is welcomed).
Can you read other languages apart from english ? I know a lot of great tutorials in French.

If you need more help, just ask, even a very general question. I've been writing UnrealEd tutorials for years, I can probably help you.
You must construct additional pylons.
KeeperUTX
OldUnreal Member

Post by KeeperUTX »

Nah, I'm just messing around a little bit.

Otherwise, these are the 'basis' things that I want to know about

WarpZones - OIOW (or in other words) those portal things that I found on DMRadik (IIRC)

Bot pathing - last time I recall making a botpath it didn't work as intended so I guess I need someone to teach me.

Movers - making them move appropriately, not just go to one point and that's all.

What else... Well, if I need some help I'll check out the wiki and ask you too. thx my brother ;D

EDIT : AW SH1T THIS IS THE WRONG SECTION! (this is likely supposed to be in the UED2 section, whoops... (O_O')  )

EDIT2: Just noticed your lang question, and sadly no, I can say loads of words from chinese, italian, russian, german, yadda yadd yadda but mostly not complete sentences. There's one reason why I said I'm smart.
Last edited by KeeperUTX on Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azhir uval nutarus. Azhir mudas ethanul. Dalektharu il dask daku. Riftuuz e thara samanar utamus. Elas umanes azarathan rakas ibna.
)Leela(-[otS]-
OldUnreal Member

Post by )Leela(-[otS]- »

Hiya :)

This could also be helpful:

http://www.oldunreal.com/editing/TCUERG.zip

You can find lots of things in it, included the things you mentioned.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Making warpzones is very easy : create two alcoves, and seal each one with a portal. Behind each portal, put a WarpZoneInfo, and in their properties, match their ThisTag and OtherSideURL fields. If you get a HOM, try rotating one of your portals. I strongly recommend you read [url=http://home.comcast.net/~darendash/PortalTutorial.html]this guy's articles about warpzones[/url] because they will either mess your mind or give you great ideas.

Bot Pathing, in its simplest form, invloves putting pathnodes everywhere bots. A pathnode every 128 unit is fine. Things get a bit more complex if you have to use lifts or jumpers though. For Jumpers, [url=http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php?title=Jumper]see this reference[/url]. For lifts (and moving platforms, a.k.a horizontal lifts), you need to put a liftcenter on the lift itself and a liftexit at each entry/exit of the lift. Then, match the LiftTag of all liftexits and liftcenters to the TAG of the mover itself. Buildpathing and there you go.

For movers, there's a lot of stuff to say, so you will surely need a complete tutorial. The basic idea is to use Keyframes to map the main points on the trajectory of your mover. See UnrealEd's Help file for this, there is a chapter on it, in the chapter 'Movers', under 'Working with UnrealEd'. It covers the basics and explains all the mover's properties and its InitialStates. Go read this, it's been written specifically for people like you : it's a simple and accurate help file covering all the basics of using the software.
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buster
Global Moderator

Post by Buster »

http://www.celticwarriors.net/Downloads/Editing/Tutorials/ued-reference.zip

:)
Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
:-)_~
KeeperUTX
OldUnreal Member

Post by KeeperUTX »

Ok!

So this is the knowledge I currently have in UED2 :

I can make water,
I have some knowhow around textures (rotation, panning, etcetera...),
I know how to make a teleport (partly, anyway  :P)

I now know a bit more about WarpZoneInfos than a few months ago (kinda fun),

And likely a few more details, such as mesh replacing, drawscaling and so on.

But right now I've got a couple more questions :

How do you make a flyby, ( like in Unreal.unr and endgame.unr)

How do you use the ThingFactory trigger and anything below it,

And finally, what the heck is a Stochastic trigger? (noticed it while looking at NaliLord.unr)

EDIT: thx for the link Buster!
Last edited by KeeperUTX on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
)Leela(-[otS]-
OldUnreal Member

Post by )Leela(-[otS]- »

Hiya :)

If you downloaded the Complete Unreal Ed Reference Guide you can find some useful informations here:

Flyby:
Level Editing\Misc.\Animated Sequences by Machismo (2.0)

Thing/Creature Factories
Level Editing\Misc.\Creature and Thing Factories by HolySmoke (1.0)

Stochastic Trigger:
Level Editing\Advanced Triggers\Triggers Class Reference by BlackSway (2.0)
Buster
Global Moderator

Post by Buster »

The link I posted has the stuff you need too. It's the one previous to the 'Complete' one. It has the "AI - Creature Care/Feeding Guide." The complete one has the exact same stuff, but more tutorials in it.

Oldunreal does have the Complete UnrealEd Reference Guide available for download. You just had to look.

http://www.oldunreal.com/editing/TCUERG.zip
Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
:-)_~
KeeperUTX
OldUnreal Member

Post by KeeperUTX »

Yay now I can take good care of my pet Skaarj Berserker!

Again, to the last two posts, thx!

I'll have a look at it when the need arises.
KeeperUTX
OldUnreal Member

Post by KeeperUTX »

Quick question. I just recalled something from Unreal, in Chizra.
Something was shooting arrows at me, and before I realized wat the heck was doing dmg to me, I died several times before deciding to hug the walls.

What's that actor called? ThrowFactory or... blip?
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

It's an ArrowSpawner (under Effects). You can easily check these things by opening the map in UnrealEd and selecting the actor to see its name.
KeeperUTX
OldUnreal Member

Post by KeeperUTX »

Ok, thank you once more.

No inquiries for now.
Torin
OldUnreal Member

Post by Torin »

What do you need to know ? There is a help file included in Unreal in patch 227 (search for Help.chm in your /Help directory). It should launch from Unrealed Help=>UnrealEd 2.1 Help, but depending on your system, you may have to launch it manually (UnrealEd's button might not work).
In 227i look for \Help\UnrealEd.chm

On my Win7 Home Premium x64 system it doesn't launch properly from within UnrealEd. I have hex edited my UnrealEd.exe to change the forwardslashes to backslashes and it then works as expected.  ;)
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

On my Win7 Home Premium x64 system it doesn't launch properly from within UnrealEd. I have hex edited my UnrealEd.exe to change the forwardslashes to backslashes and it then works as expected.  ;)
Yes, it doesn't launch from UnrealEd in vista either, but you can double-click to open it in the directory. There are problems linked to the discarding of the old help format by microsoft unfortunately. It might require an small patch to launch (I don't remember properly), but that's all I could do.
Torin
OldUnreal Member

Post by Torin »

Yes, it doesn't launch from UnrealEd in vista either, but you can double-click to open it in the directory. There are problems linked to the discarding of the old help format by microsoft unfortunately. It might require an small patch to launch (I don't remember properly), but that's all I could do.
You may be thinking of the WinHlp32.exe update/addon required to view the old .hlp files? (Or I've forgotten something?)

Which is not to say that .chm files are problem free. Quite the contrary; they have a list of possible maladies ranging from security restrictions to path name weirdness:
http://www.drexplain.com/press/articles/error_accessing_and_displaying_chm_files_reasons_and_solutions/

The worst is when you compile a .chm under conditions which produce the error; the error page seems to get compiled-in (or maybe it just subtly breaks your .chm) and will display even when the .chm is moved to a problem free location :-? :o >:(

Absolute worst case there are .chm reader programs available:
https://blog.kowalczyk.info/articles/ch ... ndows.html
including one that claims to be open-source and cross-platform! Whee!! :D
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Thanks for the info, that's really useful.
However, the last post in this thread was 3 years old, I doubt the original poster is still interested in this matter. ;)

Return to “UnrealEd 2, the editor for UnrealTournament”