For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

MOD - MML X-mas 3 [Released]

This Board was made to give Unreal projects a home- if you need a place to discuss about your mods, campains, to offer your projects for download, to seek members for it.
Oblivion[CW]
OldUnreal Member

MOD - MML X-mas 3 [Released]

Post by Oblivion[CW] »

[img][/img]

Features
Snow Mutator: Makes default coop/DM maps snow.
MMLXmas Mutator: Switches out all monsters/pawns/ammo/etc with X-mas ones.
Xmas Deco Mutator: Adds Christmas lights and decorations to default coop maps!!!(Over 16k lines of code)
All weapons and most items replaced with seasonal ones.
Decorations such as boxes and barrels replaced with presents and new textures.
Monsters all replaced with seasonal ones.
Decoration meshes added: Xmas tree, bell, snowflakes, gingerbread men, snowman, candycanes
Many Christmas themed signs.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[url=http://www.moddb.com/mods/moo-moo-land-x-mas-iii/downloads/mmlxmas3-final]Download MMLXmas3 Final[/url]
Last edited by Oblivion[CW] on Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Re: MOD - MML X-mas 3 [WIP]

Post by BobIsUnreal »

this may be handy
https://bobsunrealcoop.wordpress.com/20 ... aker-demo/
i actually build the tool to dynamicly place your lights for another Christmas mod i worked on.
also for my trees the server places.
medor
OldUnreal Member

Post by medor »

May this help you ... it's for UT99

http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=145

[img]http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/images/XMasLights.jpg[/img]
UTfiles http://medor.no-ip.org/
Oblivion[CW]
OldUnreal Member

Post by Oblivion[CW] »

May this help you ... it's for UT99

http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=145

[img]http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/images/XMasLights.jpg[/img]
Yeah I've seen that one, but I wanted to go beyond that and make it look like they are suppose to be there. So..I'm decorating the maps by hand lol.
Oblivion[CW]
OldUnreal Member

Post by Oblivion[CW] »

this may be handy
https://bobsunrealcoop.wordpress.com/20 ... aker-demo/
i actually build the tool to dynamicly place your lights  for another Christmas mod i worked on.
also for my trees the server places.
Nice, the mutator I'm using logs all the spawns I make in game. I then take those thousands of damn lights and stick them into a mutator. XD
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Man, that's a shit-ton of work to do but wow, it does look way better. I like my version of ChristmasLights but it does look weirdly over-random on most maps since it follows pathnoding.

If you guys wanted to make a serious run at decorating as many maps as possible I'd be willing to help as I am able.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
Oblivion[CW]
OldUnreal Member

Post by Oblivion[CW] »

Threw a test server up but dunno if it's showing on master list or not.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

I think it is, noticed it last night.

Good to see another face back on Unreal.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
Oblivion[CW]
OldUnreal Member

Post by Oblivion[CW] »

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Last edited by Oblivion[CW] on Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oblivion[CW]
OldUnreal Member

Post by Oblivion[CW] »

[img][/img]

Added more decos:
-Bell
-Candycane
-Christmas Tree
-Barrels/Boxes Textures
-Snowflakes
-Snowman

I have the snowflakes set to Unlit cause I want them really white. Will this be a problem?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I can spot three of them but perhaps if they were a little grayish it would be easier. That isw unless there are only three of them in the picture.
Oblivion[CW]
OldUnreal Member

Post by Oblivion[CW] »

Oblivion[CW]
OldUnreal Member

Post by Oblivion[CW] »

The full release will have all the code so people can change out lighting/decorations. I've had like 3 people ask me why I took it out lol. Chill yo!
Oblivion[CW]
OldUnreal Member

Post by Oblivion[CW] »

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Last edited by Oblivion[CW] on Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oblivion[CW]
OldUnreal Member

Post by Oblivion[CW] »

>Old Link Removed< Source included XD

If you have any music to include please send me it or link it. I plan to be done with this by the 15th. Xmasy themed without lyrics if you can.
Last edited by Oblivion[CW] on Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Source included XD
Curious if you are open to a question about how/why you did something in your mod? If you are, then this:

Code: Select all

SVRPKS=Caps(ConsoleCommand("get GameEngine ServerPackages"));
      // check if 'XmasDeco' is a ServerPackages
      if (InStr(SVRPKS, "XmasDeco") != -1)
      {
            log("***********************************************************************************************");
            log(" Error!: Please remove 'XmasDeco' from your ServerPackages and reboot the server", 'XmasDeco');
            log("***********************************************************************************************");
            ConsoleCommand("exit");
            return;
      }
      ThisMap=Level.GetLocalURL();
      S=InStr(ThisMap,"/") + 1;
      Q=InStr(ThisMap,"?");
      ThisMap=Mid(ThisMap,S,Q - S);
      if (Instr(Caps(ThisMap),".UNR") == -1) ThisMap=ThisMap$".unr
This sort of stuff is why I don't run mutators until I read the code. My question is just simply: Why?

I'm not trying to be judgemental, I'm honestly curious. Never, ever should a mod be designed to crash the server it's running on for any reason whatsoever. Want to warn admins? Fine, but dictating to them how to run their server via mutator code...well that seems to me to be something to be avoided. I really don't like the "my way or the highway" methodology.

Just wondering if I'm off-base here. I can see how devs can think that they know best about their mods but it's another matter entirely to try forcing that via an "or else crash myself" bit of code. For me this violates the implicit agreement that devs have with admins in that their work first does no harm to other things inasmuch as that is possible.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

I've put in should never ever happen assert(false) calls before, because if they did pass the "what the fuck is even going on" check, the server's probably beyond fucked anyway.

Also, if it were me, if the server crashes immediately because of a bad configuration... this is a good thing. It doesn't just stay in a horribly awful bad state, but rather works properly, especially since good information is given there, but not why exactly...
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Well, then I stand corrected and I'll adjust my views on this. Still don't like it but if Casey says it's cool then it's cool.
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by BobIsUnreal »

Source included XD

Code: Select all

SVRPKS=Caps(ConsoleCommand("get GameEngine ServerPackages"));
      // check if 'XmasDeco' is a ServerPackages
      if (InStr(SVRPKS, "XmasDeco") != -1)
      {
            log(" Error!: Please remove 'XmasDeco' from your ServerPackages and reboot the server", 'XmasDeco');
            ConsoleCommand("exit");
            return;
      }
      ThisMap=Level.GetLocalURL();
      S=InStr(ThisMap,"/") + 1;
      Q=InStr(ThisMap,"?");
      ThisMap=Mid(ThisMap,S,Q - S);
      if (Instr(Caps(ThisMap),".UNR") == -1) ThisMap=ThisMap$".unr
some "optimizations" to suggest.

If (IsInPackageMap("XmasDeco"))
{
}

ThisMap = string(level.outer)$".unr ;

this replaces everything qouted above with 7 lines.

also dont really get it either, its what equals to a serverside mutator. having it in the serverpackages by accident of on purpose is not going to really cause issues, since it has no effect clientside.

also arbitarally never allowing sending of the mod can lead to unexpected (Well expected actaully) issues.

If a mapper wants to use your mutator in a custom map and wants to place in in the map( to run with the map always),
since its hard referenced in the map , its gonna be in the serverpackages. This means that anytime the map is played the server will shutdown. thats a perfect example of why you dont do this.
( i know you can work around is with dynamic load class, but the average person  will simple not use you mod)
crash = broken to them.  theres more case senerios,  mostly linked to spawnings or hard referencing the mod

of course all one needs to do is rename the package anyway to make your check usless lol,
you could be a ass tho  and couter that by checking the self packagename at startup tho.

Last edited by BobIsUnreal on Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oblivion[CW]
OldUnreal Member

Post by Oblivion[CW] »

Beta 5 now works with other Unreal versions and UT.

[img][/img]

>Old Link Removed
Last edited by Oblivion[CW] on Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oblivion[CW]
OldUnreal Member

Post by Oblivion[CW] »

No one should have the deco and snow mods in their serverpackages. No reason for players to download 2mb files. Plus you can add decorations to those files and would cause mismatch version problems for other people.

"But Oblivion, I would just change the name of the .u"
Well if you were smart enough to do that...then you wouldn't have had it in the serverpackages anyways.

I have no idea why anyone would reference their map to the mutator. Just add the stuff from mmlxmas3.u like everyone else has in the past to make their maps.

I can see why many have left this community.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

I can see why many have left this community.
If you post something for others to use, you have to expect criticism. You never learn anything from echo chambers.

I felt like your methodology was flawed, discussed it with a couple of other people and reached the same conclusion with them. That's why I asked. It wasn't a condemnation of your work at all. In fact I think some of it is so good I'm using it on my server and I couldn't be happier.

Back in 2012 I had this discussion about something I had stumbled upon while trying to prevent the changing of someone's maps: http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1339542446/4#4  That conversation really affected me. I had traveled pretty far down the road of creating DRM without considering it. A couple of sharply worded private messages to me only reinforced what you read in the public thread. I was wrong to try to force an "or else".

Anyway the point is it's good to have discussions about things like this. I felt pretty strongly against it but I do respect Casey and he says it's not that bad and so my opinion was somewhat changed. (BTW, it was Casey that set me straight back then too)

I'm sorry you feel that questioning your 'why' is a condemning enough to leave the community. That was not at all my intention.
Last edited by gopostal on Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oblivion[CW]
OldUnreal Member

Post by Oblivion[CW] »

Oblivion[CW]
OldUnreal Member

Re: MOD - MML X-mas 3 [Released]

Post by Oblivion[CW] »

Released! Merry Christmas :D

http://www.moddb.com/mods/moo-moo-land-x-mas-iii
joeydonbaker
OldUnreal Member

Re: MOD - MML X-mas 3 [Released]

Post by joeydonbaker »

I love your mod, very cool. Brings a breath of fresh air to the tired Unreal canned maps. Experimenting with this mod to put up an Xmas server this Nov/Dec. It works great except for one map I'm having trouble with - TheSunspire. When you travel down the path across the bridge as soon as you pass the door to enter the spire, frame rates drop considerably. I normally get 60 and it drops to 20 or less. I've gone through all other maps and they play flawlessly.

Server is running Windows 10, dedicated server with ucc to start it up

ucc server Vortex2.unr?Game=JCoopZ1.JCoopZGame?Difficulty=4 INI=Unreal.ini log=log\server -server -timestamplog

227j_42_update_16

JCoopZ1-Build137 with the following hook mutators:

HookMutator[0]=LameRespawns.LameRespawns
HookMutator[1]=MMLXmas3Snow.SnowMutator
HookMutator[2]=MMLXmas3Deco.XmasDeco
HookMutator[3]=MMLXmas3.MMLXmasMutator
HookMutator[4]=MonsterSpawn304.monsterspawn
HookMutator[5]=MoverProtection.MoverProtection

SnowIntensity=6.000000
(I read a note about if that's too high it can cause performance issues)

Return to “Unreal Projects”