For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

The One - Upcoming 227J mappack in progress...

This Board was made to give Unreal projects a home- if you need a place to discuss about your mods, campains, to offer your projects for download, to seek members for it.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

The One - Upcoming 227J mappack in progress...

Post by Turboman. »

Hi everyone,

Recently i decided to work on a new mappack for unreal 227J, which i would like to release somewhere after 227J is out.

The One is a small/medium-sized mappack for the upcoming Oldunreal 227J patch, inspired by classic unreal community maps such as Nali Cove, One Day or Tashara’s Cove, utilizing 227J’s latest features.

Welcome to the island of K’tharia, where the Nali have established a peaceful haven free from oppression. Unfortunately the island holds a dark secret, an ancient deity demanding a sacrifice. Unfortunate victims are drawn to the underground, never to be seen again. Unfortunately for you, you are about to become the latest victim…

Currently i put up a moddb page with some info here:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-the-one

Now onto the development status, it's currently 99% complete, i'm mostly bugfixing and waiting for that final 227J release so i can finalize it.

However there are some things i cannot do alone, and i would love to ask the community for help:
  • I am looking for voice actors, yes there are other NPC's you can encounter, and they are supposed to say things!
  • I am looking for anyone sufficiently skilled in unrealscript who can look at my code and tell me what an awful job i did.
  • I could probably use a tester or two, anyone with some time on his/her hands 227J access would be welcome.
I will update this post later this week with more information, stay tuned!
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Re: The One - Upcoming 227J mappack in progress...

Post by Krull0r »

I'm currently stunned! That looks so damn good! This is truly some high quality content! Keep up the amazing work! can't wait to get my fingers on it and enjoy every single area you made :)
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

I'm always happy when I see a map look different and new despite the use of these ancients packages. That's exactly the case here, your architecture is wonderful and I love it already on the screenshots. Great vegetation too, the jungle in the last screenshot is incredible. I'm eagerly waiting to test it.
You must construct additional pylons.
Feralidragon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Feralidragon »

Looks very interesting thus far.

Is that a female Nali I am seeing in the second screenshot?  ;D
Last edited by Feralidragon on Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Is that a female Nali I am seeing in the second screenshot?  ;D
Did you just assume xer gender? :O
You must construct additional pylons.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

Saw this last night before heading to bed, looks really cool and unique Turbo! Can't wait 'til it's finished so then i can play it!
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

I've tried to retain that feel of the old "vanilla" user maps, after all my inspiration came from playing a lot of custom maps in the past.
Originally i wanted it to be like a vanilla unreal map, in fact i wanted to keep it simple and build everything into one single level. Unfortunately BSP issues kind of pushed me over to experiment more with 227 features like meshes, fogging and emitters.

As for the Nali, I’ve included a few Nali variants, something that kind of bugged me with the original game was the terrible Nali fashion sense. ::)

Anyway here's a short feature list, i will update the original post to include these
  • Explore the entire island of K'tharia. Visit several locations across the island, with plenty of exploration and backtracking across +/- 5 maps. The island itself serves as a main HUB between these maps.
  • Fight against new enemies, some native to the island and other variants of existing unreal pawns (alternative pawns courtesy of Qtit).
  • Wield a new weapon or two (spoiler: as seen in the moddb video)
  • Interact with several friendly/neutral NPC's; Nali, Human or Skaarj.
Still looking for voice actors if anyone's interested, and otherwise you'll all going to have to listen to me whining to Microsoft SAM  :D
Last edited by Turboman. on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Hi Turbo,

This all looks very impressive, but do you mind to post an update about your Unreal: FireStorm project? I've been dying to be hosting it at my coop server for years now.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
kea

Post by kea »

Hey Turboman, have you found voice actors? What's the project status?
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

Hi kea,
it's currently 99% complete, i'm mostly bugfixing and waiting for that final 227J release so i can finalize it.
Status is mostly the same as it was back when i posted it, but to be more exact:
  • All the maps are done but i am still in the process of personally testing them, it's quite a tedious and time-consuming job. I still have a list of some critical bugs that need to be fixed (doors not opening, boss-fight enemies not spawning).
  • I fixed some critical unrealscript issues since then, i'm a really inexperienced guy to this whole coding thing and i had no idea that the game flooding your log with a million ACCESSED_NONES is a bad thing, so i managed to untangle some of my spaghetti, at least there's progress in that :)
I haven't had any voice actor offers, but i did get some good suggestions here and there, we'll see how this'll go  :D
Last edited by Turboman. on Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Post by Krull0r »

the game flooding your log with a million ACCESSED_NONES

I can sing a song about that :D lol. You can manage it :) You did an outstanding job so far!
Last edited by Krull0r on Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Well, "release it NAO" time I guess?
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

Progress update: I'm slowly migrating everything to the 227 release, there's still quite a few things that need to be fixed to conform with the 227J release. With the help of ;..; I managed to convert most uscript code to 227J and I'm now going through each map to see what else needs adjustments made.

What's left to fix shouldn't take much time, but considering my busy RL schedule, I won't promise anything, perhaps it'll take a week or two, but it could very well be three months later before I'm done.
BIr4
OldUnreal Member

Post by BIr4 »

Nice pics. We want dream playing this history.

O:-) HEAVEN
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

That sentence makes no sense in english. Dream playing this history?
BIr4
OldUnreal Member

Post by BIr4 »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:04 pm That sentence makes no sense in english. Dream playing this history?
Google translator helped:

We want to dream playing this story.

(and this? it's ok?!) Sorry... I'm brazillian. (and bad in english). :-[ bye.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Story, yes now it makes sense.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

BIr4 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:05 pm Google translator helped:

We want to dream playing this story.

(and this? it's ok?!) Sorry... I'm brazillian. (and bad in english). :-[ bye.
Thank you for your kind words, hopefully it'll be out soon enough :)
Jules
OldUnreal Member

Post by Jules »

Still hyped for this. The screenshots look positively stunning, visually on-par with some of the best Quake mappacks that have been released in recent years, and make me feel like there's still a lot of potential left untapped in the game. It sure makes me wish the Unreal mapping community were as vibrant as the Doom or Quake one.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

Jules wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:44 pm Still hyped for this. The screenshots look positively stunning, visually on-par with some of the best Quake mappacks that have been released in recent years, and make me feel like there's still a lot of potential left untapped in the game. It sure makes me wish the Unreal mapping community were as vibrant as the Doom or Quake one.
Thank you! I occasionally lurk around quaddicted and i'm in awe with how many amazing maps come out every year, not just the quality but the sheer quantity of it all! I hope this mappack comes close to the high standards put out by the Quake/Doom community.
My dream is that Unreal may face a Renaissance with the 227J and K patch, for that matter there are some very good looking upcoming maps discussed on the OU discord, so the community is still very alive :)

Either way some good news regarding the release of The One... it's getting really close. ETA could be a matter of weeks by now!
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

I haven't figured out how to update my original post on the new Oldunreal board, but...

I've finally released The One! Download link is available on the Moddb page on the original post!

Or a quick link to the download:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-the-o ... he-one-v10
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

Smirftsch recommended me to close this thread and to dedicate a new one for the release, so I will use that thread for further posts, I suggest everyone to not use this topic anymore as well (until I can figure out how to close this topic :P ).

Link to the release thread:
viewtopic.php?f=35&p=101445#p101445

Return to “Unreal Projects”