For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Quake editor is better

This Board was made to give Unreal projects a home- if you need a place to discuss about your mods, campains, to offer your projects for download, to seek members for it.
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Quake editor is better

Post by yrex . »

This is probably the best low-poly level editor I've ever seen. You can do the most with the least amount of clicks (at least for some types of architecture). It's a bit similar to the Cube 2 engine (in fact, it was inspired by it), but even better.

It turns out to be also capable of exporting to OBJ, which can be elegantly converted to T3D and imported into Unreal or UT. I wrote a little tool which does that.

Disadvantages:
- The editor requires D3D11 support. (or not? They mention WinXP support)
- The texture alignment won't be preserved.
- You can't convert back.

And here's an example map showing what can be easily done (textured and finished in UEd).

Screenshots (because imgur is broken):

My work | contact: ampoyrex at wp dot pl
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Re: Quake editor is better

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Disadvantages:
- The texture alignment won't be preserved.
- You can't convert back.
Sounds like it's time to create a pull request on their git repo to add a t3d importer/exporter ;)

I don't know of anywhere that has a published spec for it off hand, but if there is one perhaps it could be done. All depends on what needs to be done for the UVs and alignment, really.

makes me wonder if it's possible to edit it into working with unreal actors and such too for their seemingly cool/accurate placing of actors. of course that's a whole new can of worms with opening unreal packages and reading meshes and such.. a daunting task compared to just an additional t3d importer/exporter.

obj export call: https://github.com/kduske/TrenchBroom/b ... l.cpp#L151

obj serializer: https://github.com/kduske/TrenchBroom/b ... alizer.cpp

Last edited by []KAOS[]Casey on Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

It looks very quick indeed. Most of the functionalities demonstrated in the video are nothing new but they seem much less painful than UnrealEd, especially 3 points clipping which stands out to me as previewed in real time. Quite cool.
You must construct additional pylons.
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Post by Krull0r »

Merging, extruding, cutting, on faces and edges would be also an damn awesome feature for Unreal Ed. I think I'll give this thing a try. Looks promising maybe its a good alternative for blender to build lowpoly geometry.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

The clipping tool in Ued2.2 does a similar thing to 'cutting' (I think if you mean the same thing I think you mean), but sometimes it can cause some unstable BSP. :(
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Is it better than Unreal Engine 1,Gold Source Engine? Are you talking about Id Tech Engine 2?
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Is it better than Unreal Engine 1,Gold Source Engine? Are you talking about Id Tech Engine 2?
It's not about the engine but about the editor.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

So in that case I guess it's Valve Hammer Editor,Quake Level Editor or Unreal Editor 1,right?
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Yes, these are editors. IdTech games and derivatives can use a variety of editors as long as the correct compilers are then used to process the map for the desired game. In Unreal however, the editor is largely limited to UnrealEd, which is fully integrated with the engine.

Return to “Unreal Projects”