For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal+UT server IpDrv modification

This Board was made to give Unreal projects a home- if you need a place to discuss about your mods, campains, to offer your projects for download, to seek members for it.
.:..:
OldUnreal Member

Unreal+UT server IpDrv modification

Post by .:..: »

This is a mod for Unreal 227i (windows only).

It enables support for hosting a 227i server where UT clients can join and are network compatible.

Download from here: [url]http://www.klankaos.com/downloads/IpDrvUTUnreal.rar[/url]

To install the 'mod':
  • Unzip all of the files to System folder (all except PackageRemap.dll goes to UT System folder, optionally).
  • Edit following settings in Unreal.ini:
      - Add line: ServerActors=UTServerQry.UTRules
      - Add line: ServerActors=UTServerQry.UTServerUpl MasterServerAddress=master0.gamespy.com MasterServerPort=27900 TargetGame=coopgame2
       Note that you can multiple of those lines with different TargetGame=XXX to make it show up in other matching gametypes in UT serverlist.
      - Add line: ServerPackages=UTCoopFix
      - Edit line: OldClientCompatMode=False (this is built in already with this mod, will later make it hardcoded to false)
      - Edit in [Engine.ChannelDownload]: UseCompression=False (this will screw up UT clients downloading)
  • Edit UTCrashRecover.ini:
      - FallbackURL=Vortex2.unr
Last edited by .:..: on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
1823223D2A33224B0 wrote:...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD :P
(ಠ_ಠ)
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal+UT server IpDrv modification

Post by GreatEmerald »

Huh, and what does it look like on the UT side? Don't they have something that tries to replace every weapon they see with the UT counterparts? Do they keep the UT HUD?
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Oh my... Does this mean that from now on, Unreal 227 and UT are fully compatible online ?
You must construct additional pylons.
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

Holy crap MrLoathesome is going to love this !

I shall have a word with some of the CoOp admins, and send them here :D

8-) Well done Dots, Great idea seeing as so much effort has been made so far to get both games to play each-others maps and weapons, it makes perfect sense and will be a great way to boost numbers on a server.

Though I'm sorry to say, no Nali Weapons for Unreal, unless someone other than Feralidragon is up for the challenge.

He designed an open and modular system, so addons and changes are easy to make (just like our beloved U engine).
People in the 2K4 community are upset they don't have NW3 to play with, and would probably be even more upset if Unreal got them ;D
They don't use any of the SDK so would be easier to convert.
Indeed as the SDK was not finished, an Unreal 227i version could be even better.
NW3 was primarily built for CoOp monster hunting, and would be well used in Unreal.
(enough of that, it is better left for another thread).

I'm off to make a post at ut99.org
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Oh my... Does this mean that from now on, Unreal 227 and UT are fully compatible online ?
Well, not until it gets merged into mainline 227, as now it only works for Windows servers.
dante123

Post by dante123 »

Pretty cool, dots. Maybe this will bring some new life to online play.
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

Can you confirm there will be a Linux version?

And as soon as ANYONE has a test server up, can they please post details here.
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by BobIsUnreal »

problem :
i tried setting this up  i get server crashes every few files downloaded by ut cleint.

DevNet: Sending 'TobioTreesa.u'
DevNet: NotifyAcceptingChannel File 2 server Level vortex2.MyLevel: Accepted
DevNet: Sending 'wingedterror.u'
DevNet: NotifyAcceptingChannel File 1 server Level vortex2.MyLevel: Accepted
DevNet: Sending 'Chrysalid.u'
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Runaway loop at ReceivedPacketUTNakPacketId
Critical: Windows GetLastError: The operation completed successfully. (0)
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Critical: ReceivedVirtualNak
Critical: UpdatePreNet
Critical: ULevel::Tick
Critical: (NetMode=2)
Critical: TickLevel
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: MainLoop
Exit: Exiting.
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 03/16/13 21:53:35

repeating the same download after the server  restarts will succeed and then another file randomly fails , not the same file and not the next , many will be fine or file the next time

then after all that bs 6 server restarts , i get this  in ut  :

Log: LoadMap: 76.117.xx.xxx:5500/vortex2?Name=Player?Class=Botpack.TMale2?team=255?skin=SoldierSkins.blkt?Face=SoldierSkins.Othello
DevAudio: Galaxy SetViewport: WindowsViewport0
Warning: Failed to load 'Engine': Package 'Engine' version mismatch
NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection3 03/16/13 22:05:39
Exit: WinSock shut down

so its  not as usfull as i expected , so dont get your hopes up....
Last edited by BobIsUnreal on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

A mod that does something that was previously impossible has a bug? Aboslutely shocking. I guess your brain isn't as useful as expected.

Seriously, what the hell? When dots and I tested this a while ago it worked flawlessly in our test setup(s). So it turns out a few mods manage to make it crash and you IMMEDIATELY dismiss it? What the hell is that?

Total trash. When have you done something useful for unreal? You seem to have a high opinion of what's good or bad, like how somehow naliweapons 3 is not "amazing" even though it's existence in itself with all the sfx, meshes, sounds all being done by ONE PERSON is not so great apparently. I was planning to port it to U1 soon, but maybe I shouldn't if ungrateful morons like you are around.

Go fuck yourself.
dante123

Post by dante123 »

A mod that does something that was previously impossible has a bug? Aboslutely shocking. I guess your brain isn't as useful as expected.

Seriously, what the hell? When dots and I tested this a while ago it worked flawlessly in our test setup(s). So it turns out a few mods manage to make it crash and you IMMEDIATELY dismiss it? What the hell is that?

Total trash. When have you done something useful for unreal? You seem to have a high opinion of what's good or bad, like how somehow naliweapons 3 is not "amazing" even though it's existence in itself with all the sfx, meshes, sounds all being done by ONE PERSON is not so great apparently. I was planning to port it to U1 soon, but maybe I shouldn't if ungrateful morons like you are around.

Go crappity smack yourself.
Rob-Bot
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rob-Bot »

Hell yeah! this is awesome. I'm going to try to get the people I play UT with to try this out.
Last edited by Rob-Bot on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Can you confirm there will be a Linux version?
From what I can see, this is a change of the network code logic, which is already there on Linux, so it should be just a matter of recompiling IpDrv.so with the changes applied. But that will have to be integrated into the 227 patch for larger adoption, anyway.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Well, not until it gets merged into mainline 227, as now it only works for Windows servers.
All this is details. This mod is pretty much divine.
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by BobIsUnreal »

i reported a issue i had and pointed out it may not work 100% out of the box for everyone.
I didnt dismiss it , i reported a problem so it could get resolved so that more people could use it including myself. issues are to be expected.

yes it will list your server in UT that very interesting to get some players,
but you probably wont be able to join said server in all cases. It would makes listing it in UT perhaps even worse atm, as players will try to join realize they cant and say screw this server its one of those bogus 227i ut servers.

[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Yeah right, that was your typical passive aggressive bullshit that's seen everywhere you don't like something.

Do you really think they'll even realize it's a "bogus UT 227i server"? Really? You're thinking way too much into it. I doubt they'd even blink. wtf is your problem? this mod JUST got released and you're still trash talking it after backpedaling what you said. You're a moron.

HINT: IT CAN BE UPDATED TO FIX THE PROBLEM.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Everyone calm down, give each other a kiss and shake hands.
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

A map-pack or list of tested maps and mods will be useful as a start-point for any interested server admins.
Also some dos and do nots.
eg. The quad-shot is in UT, but was never usable.

How about a link to the Unreal1 models and skins distributed with Oldskool for UT ?
That's a point, does having Oldskool installed work, or are any packages needing replacing ?

and ...how compatible is the unofficial botpack for Unreal ?
Would it add to, or solve any compatibility issues ?

.... OK I can feel I'm being glared-at now ::)
I am not the only one to wonder, or be fool enough to try ;D
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by BobIsUnreal »

well i got around to troubleshooting this a bit more since im eager to use it
i used 227i and ut goty to join.

first important thing ,
turn off "OldClientCompatMode" mode if you have it on ,
otherwise ut clients will never see the proper error and will always get engine mismatch.

then throw away any custom gametype you use and use unrealshare.coopgame ,
assuming your planning on coop because jcoop and xcoop wont work for this as is.
not sure yet to what effect thats exactly limited too ie mabye all custom gametypes wont work.
but there is various small issues , some of witch may be able to be avoided be recompiling the gamtype in ut first to make sure it isnt calling any missing functions or vars. havnt tried that much yet.

Here's a short list of mods that work or don't work with this addon

what works
dzmapmut
cyberdisc.u
cricket
wingedterror.u
Chrysalid.u
silverback.u
tankboss
present1
SantaBrute.u
muton
ar
sectoid
imp
baron
sspawn2
kami
quakempak2
spinner
predator
TobioTreesa.u
Sectopod.u
reaper.u

what dosnts
jcoopz - fails to load on ut due to timedemo
xcoop - fails to load due to showmotd not being present or something
OldUnreal Member

Indeed forgot to mention that you must disable OldClientCompatMode aswell as UseCompression for ChannelDownload. I updated the first post with that information now.

Most of custom gametypes will not work in UT due to many core changes in Engine.
As for custom maps, haven't tried any other than standard Unreal maps yet.
And getting BotPack to work with both UT and 227 will be next to impossible.

On a side note I host a testing server with this from time-to-time on: [url]unreal://84.250.50.17:7777[/url]

On a second note, what exactly UTCoopFix does:
- Replace message lines display for HUD (due to some console ticking differences in UT making messages never disappear on UnrealHUD).
- Network replicate client version # and bAdmin for scoreboard.
- Change zone ground friction to 4 if it is 8 (since default ground friction in UT was changed from 4 to 8).
- Change your players client side JumpSound variable to None (to prevent UT clients from playing client side jump sound too).
Last edited by .:..: on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
1823223D2A33224B0 wrote:...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD :P
(ಠ_ಠ)
dante123

Post by dante123 »

what dosnts
jcoopz - fails to load on ut due to timedemo
xcoop - fails to load due to showmotd not being present or something
Simple response: consider the fact that UT99 changed these parameters and definitions for the better as well; just comment out and recompile the few changes in xCoop.

Edit: Actually, nevermind. Then it won't compile or run natively on U1. Leaving this post here to illustrate that I am an idiot.
Last edited by dante123 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob-Bot
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rob-Bot »

hey just wanted to confirm. Me and some friends from UT played on that server dots. neither of them had the actual game, downloaded any additional files (except for what was on the server), and had version 436 and it worked out fine! But man thanks a bunch for this, this is probably one of the coolest modifcation for unreal and unreal tournament. If you ever want to test it some more give me a date and time and i'll fill that server to the max with ut players. :)
Last edited by Rob-Bot on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldUnreal Member

Simple response: consider the fact that UT99 changed these parameters and definitions for the better as well; just comment out and recompile the few changes in xCoop.

Edit: Actually, nevermind. Then it won't compile or run natively on U1. Leaving this post here to illustrate that I am an idiot.
Actually that is not entirely true, function parameter changes wont prevent mod from loading, simply may crash the game when executed.
So if you modify xcoop in a way that it does not make any references to any missing variables/functions/classes, you might get it running on both ends.
(ಠ_ಠ)
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

I just had an interesting idea.

I remembered that it's possible to check Level.EngineVer and execute code that only works on 227, then if not 227, execute an alternate version to work on 225f.

However, I don't think you can fool the Linker into importing 2 functions of the same name, so you'd need some sort of proxy packages, one for UT/225f.. with a modification to this IPDrv maybe we could get it to work.

It'd be kinda tricky though. It probably would just be better to avoid those functions altogether.

I'll do some tests later today.

edit:

it looks like only gametypes custom tailored to the limitations between both of the versions will work. xCoop is basically not happening without some serious legendary hacks, as far as I can tell they're all server side functions though, but I can't begin to imagine the hack hell that would be required to get xCoop working as is.
Last edited by []KAOS[]Casey on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldUnreal Member

As an alternative, could modify IpDrv to send an alternative version of xCoop.u for UT clients then create a linker remap file for xCoop for UT client net compatibility.

But either way, we don't really need to worry about function parameter changes in gameinfo for xCoop. If we run xcoop in 227, then gameinfo functions are only executed on 227's side while UT clients only rely on rest.

In other news, I think I fixed the crash with when server sends file to UT clients (my server ran yesterday for like 12 hours straight without crashes, until I turned off my PC when I went to sleep), I updated download link.
Last edited by .:..: on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
(ಠ_ಠ)
dante123

Post by dante123 »

Oh I see. Because GameInfo is server-side the UT client won't trip up on parameter changes in those functions.

When converting JGrass & associated files, I had to make the following changes to get it to compile on UT...
[url][/url]

The changes I made there are going to be identical to how xCoop would have to change to compile on UT, so looking at this list to see if the UT client would execute any of this.... I think all of these required changes are server-side, so it's probably OK to just run xCoop and join with UT.

IsUnreal, have you tried running a barebones xCoop w/ no additional serverpackages server?

Return to “Unreal Projects”