For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal 2 stuff in Unreal 1 (227)

This Board was made to give Unreal projects a home- if you need a place to discuss about your mods, campains, to offer your projects for download, to seek members for it.
Martin Vole
OldUnreal Member

Unreal 2 stuff in Unreal 1 (227)

Post by Martin Vole »

Decided that I'd drop some stuff about a little project I started a while back, and have been tinkering with off-and-onn since. Basically it started as simply converting character classes into player classes for use in Unreal 1, and gradually I've been building up from there. Found it funny too that many characters have all team colors.

What is currently pretty well done in this mod:

-Permanent power suits that are replenished by picking up armor
-All armor classes of Izanagi, marines, and Liandri are pretty well finished and fully playable, almost done with Skaarj as well. Heavies also shake the screen a little for other players.
-Custom gibs based in large part on code from Unreal 2. Blood effects could use work though.

What is currently still being worked on but are of low priority:

-Bots, gotta fix the textures on them, mostly.

What is planned:

-Items/pickups
-AI pawns (currently this is only occupied by a very VERY basic and suicidal cockroach) though some have already been worked on by others. If someone wants to crack at the advanced ones, I'll focus on porting the various animals.
-Weapons not yet ported by others, like the Dispersion Pistol (I... think it hasn't been ported yet)
-Carcasses of armor classes having a small charge that refills armor
-Maybe playable Araknids..?

lowenz
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal 2 stuff in Unreal 1 (227)

Post by lowenz »

WOW!
The task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen, but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees - E.S.
Martin Vole
OldUnreal Member

Post by Martin Vole »

WIP of the Dispersion Pistol.
Martin Vole
OldUnreal Member

Post by Martin Vole »

A bit of an update:

I considered porting the Takkra, the little floaty bot things that shoot lasers at either enemies or incoming projectiles based on primary or alt fire. I've come to find that it may be a bit of a big undertaking for me, the way it pathfinds I'm not entirely sure yet, but seems to use a lot of nodes to set itself up. If anyone else wants to take a shot at it, I have all the visual assets extracted/converted, along with animations!

On the Dispersion Pistol, it is pretty much finished at this point. I've fixed a few hitches and it now functions pretty well as it does in Unreal 2. Now I'm debating to just release it for others to tinker and play with. It also now uses its own ammo. The only additional tweaks I may consider is making it Amplifier friendly.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

Heya,

Good job, and I wonder how this could potentially look with the extra adding of new features that later versions of the 227 patch will bring :)
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
Martin Vole
OldUnreal Member

Post by Martin Vole »

Alright, updating, currently got the Takkra (many thanks to Bleeder91 for getting this to work, adjusted code to support anti-projectile play) and Dispersion Pistol is in a very good state I feel.

Here's the current version:

Here

U2Dispersion and Takkra are the class names.
Last edited by Martin Vole on Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
subzer0
OldUnreal Member

Post by subzer0 »

Noticing some lag when the Dispersions primary and alt projectile is one inch away from hitting any surface.

Aside of that these are cool.
Excellent job on these ports.
Martin Vole
OldUnreal Member

Post by Martin Vole »

Lag? Online latency or freezing up briefly?
subzer0
OldUnreal Member

Post by subzer0 »

Offline singleplayer did a quick test by shooting with the Dispersion pistol just the brief second it hit the wall it caused a big fps drop each time with each projectile.

Also this was tested on unreal version 227i if that has any influence on it.

Martin Vole
OldUnreal Member

Post by Martin Vole »

So, same version as mine. From my testing, though, I do not experience any hitch in performance. No drop in a pretty steady 60fps, certainly not when shooting. Though I do heavily suspect it has to do with the particles.

Edit: One other problem I'm facing is the Takkra beam effect not always properly stretching between two targets. I've tried several ways to adjust it but it still comes out odd. What could I do to fix this so it looks more proper?
Last edited by Martin Vole on Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Vole
OldUnreal Member

Post by Martin Vole »

Here

Lowered the number of particles in the explosion by half. Does this help with the FPS drop?

Edit: Also, anyone know how I can fine tune the Takkra's beam emitter? So it properly stretches between itself and the hit point?
Last edited by Martin Vole on Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bleeder91[NL]
OldUnreal Member

Post by Bleeder91[NL] »

anyone know how I can fine tune the Takkra's beam emitter? So it properly stretches between itself and the hit point?
Maybe this works: Set the emitter to not autospawn particles, then add postbeginplay with a trace to check for the distance, set the offset for the beam, then spawn the beamparticle.
subzer0
OldUnreal Member

Post by subzer0 »

I gave it a try.
Huge improvement compared to last test I did with the pistol.
The fps drop still occurs just not nearly as much as last time but Im using a low end laptop so you can ignore my criticism.

Return to “Unreal Projects”