For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal Editor 1 classes player start

Ask UnrealEd 1 mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Unreal Editor 1 classes player start

Post by luke11685 »

I was trying to find PlayerStart modifier in Editor and even classes, but I didn't find it in unreal engine/editor 1.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: Unreal Editor 1 classes player start

Post by Hellkeeper »

Actor > NavigationPoint > PlayerStart.
You must construct additional pylons.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

So should I be looking for it in classes label in unreal editor 1,right? By the way thanks.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Yes, set the browser (the panel on the right) to Browse => Classes, then the tree of classes appears and you can select the PlayerStart under NavigationPoint. It also gives you access to lights, pathnodes, triggers, weapons, enemies, everything that is not geometry.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

In classes speaking of lesson 2 of The Complete UnrealEd Reference Guide.pdf what can I use instead of flashlight just to highlight dark long corridor in my first jj3d map? To make Jazz Jackrabbit body glowing with light.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

You want to light a corridor? Just add a light.
Your questions need more explanations.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

In pc games from late 90's like Quake,Half-Life,Unreal flashlights/flares were needed to highllight dark corners,ventilation shafts and corridors to illuminate paths.Okay let me quote some sentences from The Complete UnrealEd Reference Guide.pdf of Lesson 2 :
Well as I said I am going for a certain feel, so I put a FLASHLIGHT in my level, I RIGHT CLICKED just above the floor just outside the entrance to the hallway and placed my FLASHLIGHT there. To put a FLASHLIGHT into your level click on that little arrow pointing down in the top right corner of your screen next to the word TEXTURES, and select CLASSES from the list. Click on the minus next to INVENTORY, then the minus next to PICKUP, finally select FLASHLIGHT. If you click the minus there you'll also find SEARCHLIGHT, but FLASHLIGHT will do for now. RIGHT CLICK in your 3-D VIEW anywhere you desire above the floor to add the FLASHLIGHT to the level. What was the point to all this you ask? Well you've just learned that there are a LOT of items in the CLASSES BROWSER and this process is the same you'll follow for weapons, ammo, health, power ups, etc. You can even find decorations to put into your level!
I'm talking about this map.
That not so long,but short tunnel instead.                              
Last edited by luke11685 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

This will place the flashlight pickup the player can use to light his way.
If you want to light the map use light actors.
If you want to give a light to the player, add the flashlight as explained in the excerpt you quoted.

If you want to have lights illuminate the corridor including the corners which tend to remain darker than the rest of the walls, select the surfaces and tick the surface flag "Bright corners" in their properties.

If you want the player to have a flashlight from the start, put it just underneath the playerstart so players will spawn and immediately pick it up when touching the ground.

If you want something else, reformulate your question because I have difficulties following you.

EDIT: You might be trying to add a flashlight in a game which does not have a flashlight class if, as I believe is your case, you're currently building a map for JJ3d and not for Unreal. In this case you will not have the flashlight class if it is Unreal-specific.
In that case you need either to find the equivalent class in JJ3D but there might be no substitute if the game didn't have one. Then you either need to create such a class yourself or circumvent the problem by changing your map's lighting.
If such a class exist in the actor tree of JJ3D, then you need to find it. The easiest way would be to open an existing map featuring it and copy/pasting it.
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Well thanks. I tried to add Ancient.utx file to unreal editor 1 to this map for jj3d alpha demo however ue1 didn't load this texture even if i putted it first to textures directory. Speaking of lesson 1.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

Luke, is this for Jazz3d demo? I don't know if Jazz3d would have the same pickups as Unreal even stored in the packages D:

If so, you mind need to place down different items which cast light, but I'm not sure what items there are in Jazz3d, since it's been a long time since i tested it.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Yes it's jazz jackrabbit 3d alpha public tech test demo. There's also another leaked since 2017 jj3d 013D (I heard it was supported by Unreal Engine/Editor 1 224 patch version) alpha demo,but I'm focused in that one that was made in unreal engine/editor 1 226 patch version.

Return to “UnrealEd, the editor for Unreal up to version  226”