For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

How to export the map geometry?

Ask UnrealEd 1 mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks
temp890
OldUnreal Member

How to export the map geometry?

Post by temp890 »

I wish to export an entire level into 3ds max to use as a set for some renders (DS9 The Fallen). I can't seem to find a way to take the geometry that's displaying in UnrealEd and export it into a 3D model format. Even tried 3D ripper dx but no dice. Any help?
Last edited by temp890 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Re: How to export the map geometry?

Post by Kajgue »

Heya,

Does Deep Space 9's Unreal Editor allow you to export brushes? If you use the red brush to encapsulate a whole map, then click on 'intersect' (it's also found under the brush tabmenu at the top) you can then export what the red brush has intersected as a .t3d

I'm not 100% sure how the Deep space 9 editor works, but I'm just assuming it would be similar to Ued 226?

Well, all intersecting with the red brush does is; it will mimic the solid geometric volumes of geometry within its parameter (the red brushes' volume basically).

Let me know how you get on, hopefully this works.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
temp890
OldUnreal Member

Post by temp890 »

I believe it's the standard Unreal 1 editor (I applied the UnrealEdFix4 patch). Here's a screen:

https://s16.postimg.org/4wqyrbc45/sss.png

Clicking the "Deintersect Brush with World" button highlights most (but not all) the vertices in a red outline. Clicking it again seems to select and deselect additional random groups of vertices. I can export the selection to t3d which does produce a geometry in T3DBrowser.

I can then convert that into '*.dxf..X' format but can't find a 3d editor that recognises it as either X or DXF format.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

There should be some nifty converter for .t3d files, or a plugin for 3d studio max, but as for 3ds max I wouldn't know what it would be called or where to find it, Blender is the 3d modelling program which I use.

Turboman would however know how to get .t3d files into 3dsmax, as I have heard that he has made world geometry in 3dstudio before.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
temp890
OldUnreal Member

Post by temp890 »

I found the CB Undying 3ds max importer

https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=405

but it won't work with 3dsmax 2017 :(
temp890
OldUnreal Member

Post by temp890 »

Well for posterity's sake it should be noted that old 3dsmax plugins won't work on 64 bit systems even if you have the 3dsmax it was designed for.

I solved the problem by using UDK->import brush->right click, convert to mesh->resources->export to obj or fbx

Alternatively there's a 3d programming utility called Blitz3D that someone made a T3D viewer for. You can then combine that with a 3ds or directX exporter someone else made to grab the mesh.

Return to “UnrealEd, the editor for Unreal up to version  226”