For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

UnrealEd 1.x functions under Linux via wine1.8

Ask UnrealEd 1 mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks
スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

UnrealEd 1.x functions under Linux via wine1.8

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

Just a friendly reminder that I am able to successfully use the original editor under wine1.8
  • Selection works.
  • Viewports work.
  • Browsers work.
  • UScript Editor works.
  • Dialogs work.
  • Texture properties window works.
The only caveats is that some of the dialog windows get confused and parent under the wrong windows, resulting in some of them becoming "invisible" until you forcefully cause areas of the dialog to repaint themselves.

The dialog that controls Advanced Options and Actor Properties as well as Texture Properties will get confused and reset themselves when you select actors in the level or select different textures in the browser. Be sure to only have one such dialog open at a time to avoid oddities.

Also everytime the editor is run, the viewports will be undocked and strewn all over the place. Selecting "Reset all" will fix this.

You need to install native visual basic 5 runtimes and such to even run the editor in the first place. Do not forget to run UnrealEdFix4 either.
Last edited by スマイル・ドラゴン on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I am the dragon without a name.”
Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñïght.: / κυνικός Δράκων / スマイル・ドラゴン / Draco Nihil
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: UnrealEd 1.x functions under Linux via wine1.8

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Now you could try it with UNED95. :D

It's just that my curiosity about that is high, whether it runs or not.
スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

Re: UnrealEd 1.x functions under Linux via wine1.8

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

Well just discovered a odd bug with the UScript dialog and TextBuffer handling.

Something isn't being handled right and working with UScript in the editor will eventually produce this bizarre instance where the TextBuffer repeats itself with previously changed code over and over. The only way to recover from this is to delete the erroneously appended text, save your package, reload then recompile.

Another strange bug is when closing the editor, the process often becomes a zombie and you ultimately have to kill it's parent caller. As I often run wine related things in terminals without forking the process this is rather easy to accomplish with a ^C. But this could be fatal if the process was forked and it zombifies.
“I am the dragon without a name.”
Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñïght.: / κυνικός Δράκων / スマイル・ドラゴン / Draco Nihil

Return to “UnrealEd, the editor for Unreal up to version  226”