For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

How should the BSP building dialog look like?

Ask UnrealEd 1 mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks
han
Global Moderator

How should the BSP building dialog look like?

Post by han »

Background (you can skip this):
Sometime last year I figured out that if I flip a few switches, like setting GIsEditor=True in my Launcher, that I basically get an editor context, can open editor viewports and can type in editor commands. I made this some -editor startup parameter afterwards. At that time i basically added the dedicated server tray icon to it, so i can always open up the log window and exit. However the only real value this had was to use Launch -editor -exec= to run scripts in editor context by an external program.
A couple of days ago I while working on HTK's editor engine again, I descided to put a week of effort in this again and see how far i get, so I put the bits of code I already had for it into a new HTK.exe, started adding the old editors main menu options as options to the menu of the tray icon, etc.

So one of the next steps will be to (re)make certain dialogs like bsp building dialog and I need some input how the bsp building dialog should like/how it should be integrated into the menu. Should it be like a single menu option as in UnrealEd1 or more like the certain rebuild commands inside the menu with a dedicated build options menu. How should that build option menu look like?
HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Re: How should the BSP building dialog look like?

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

There are advantages to being able to rebuild only parts of the BSP, such as using the bsp builder from beta unreal versions instead of retail, but being able to rebuild lighting. So, I vote for as many options as you can add.
han
Global Moderator

Re: How should the BSP building dialog look like?

Post by han »

From what I figured out for, Deus Ex, Nerf, etc. the only options are basically exactly what the UI expose:

Code: Select all

MAP REBUILD

BSP REBUILD [LAME/GOOD/OPTIMAL] [BALANCE=0-100] [ZONES] [OPTGEOM]
ZONES:            Build Visibility Zones
OPTGEOM:      Optimize Geometry

LIGHT APPLY SELECTED=[on|off]
SELECTED: Apply selected lights and lights in selected zone descriptors only.
However I don't intent to remove the abitily to just rebuild just certain options, my question was more how should the interface for building the stuff should look like.
HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.

Return to “UnrealEd, the editor for Unreal up to version  226”