For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Patching unreleased pc games that were made in Unreal Engine 1

UnrealEd 2.1 (227i) and UnrealEd 2.2 (227j), for Unreal 227. With many additions, bugfixes and improvements. Ask mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Patching unreleased pc games that were made in Unreal Engine 1

Post by luke11685 »

Is it even possible to patch old pc games from late 90's such as Jazz Jackrabbit 3D alpha demo 013D and 013D alpha? I downloaded and patched Unreal Editor 1 for Unreal 1 Gold Edition however is it doable for cancelled demos that were mysteriously leaked online usually by former employees,right? Now everything is now more clear for me that Unreal Editor 2-like level editor for Unreal Engine 1 was related to Unreal Editor 1 all the time speaking of UnrealEdReferenceGuide.pdf.
Last edited by luke11685 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Re: Patching unreleased pc games that were made in Unreal Engine 1

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

without source code there is very little you can do to patch the game in a meaningful fashion in the C++ code. unrealscript is doable, but the bugs you describe are within the C++ code, so not so easy i'm afraid.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Where can I find the source code? Do unfinished PC games had source codes or only the finished ones? Guys you have better knowledge of Unreal Engine 1 & 2 than in another different forum related to this game engine forum named Unreal SP.org it seems user JazzGruff/CloverGruff used their advices well it was also wise choice his own choice I don't want to blame him.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

All games have source code, source code is the code from which the game was made.
The code is not available though, unless the company that made the game decides to release it.
You must construct additional pylons.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

So for instance Jazz Jackrabbit 3D alpha demo have no source code, right? But do Unreal 1 got source code because it's full version of PC game, right?
Last edited by luke11685 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

ALL GAMES HAVE A SOURCE CODE, THE SOURCE CODE IS ACTUALLY THE GAME.

Jazz has a source code because otherwise it wouldn't exist. However, the code belongs to the company which made the game. Unreal has a source code which is the property of Epic and is graciously given to OldUnreal for maintenance and patching. If you want Jazz's source code, you need to track down the current owner and convince him to open it to the public.
Last edited by Hellkeeper on Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

So for example Jazz3D.exe is the source code of the game,right? In this case original owner(Epic Games's CEO Tim Sweeney)/creator is Dean "Noogy" Dodrill.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

It's Epic games most likely.

The source code is the code from which Jazz3d.exe is compiled.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Yeah because Jason Emery the programmer of Jazz Jackrabbit 3 I guess he left Epic Games long time ago I don't know when, but probably when it was cancelled. So will compiling and decompiling be problematic for now?
Last edited by luke11685 on Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

So will compiling
Requires the code and probably whatever old tools were used at the time to compile it.
and decompiling
Illegal.

In both case, you need to cinvince Epic to release the code and give access to it.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

There's one typo cinvince instead of convince. Will occured poppping up errors like this disappear forever for good if Epic Games CEO's Tim Sweeney decide to give jj3d(.exe file and etc...)open to public? I guess jj3d source code giving it open to public without Epic Games's permission might end up with dmca violations and lawsuits,right? Including money penalties. I'm just wondering where's source code of iios kismet demo tutorial udk/ue3 if iphone exclusive applications got extension file formats such as .ipa in fact this application has no such file as .ipa it's more like pc emulated inside unreal editor(engine)3/unreal development kit. I'm just asking because I want to be focused on jj3d. Can you tell me how to turn 3d maps in jazz jackrabbit 3 into 2d platform sidescroller mode,please?
Is it something related to some missing class in Unreal Editor 1 browse lists?
Last edited by luke11685 on Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

Decompiling C++ code is very hard, but...

- There are the public headers, and I heard that some of them can be reconstructed[citation needed].

- The engine is neatly split into DLLs with rich interfaces, just waiting to be replaced or intercepted. They even have the function parameters/etc preserved.

- It may be possible to write a replacement editor GUI, considering how simple it was in case of the Unreal betas. I should investigate this more...

- The package file format is known.

So the Unreal Engine, despite not having a public source, is far from being a black box. Now, regarding the screenshots you posted:

The first one shows a bug in the crappy editor GUI. Not related to the engine.

The second one looks like a problem with how the engine is used or configured instead of a bug in the engine itself...
My work | contact: ampoyrex at wp dot pl
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Is it impossible? I guess it's complicated and highly complexed,right? Well Unreal Tournament 1999 also has no public source code,but at least it's a full game published 21 years ago. Anyway how am I suppose to fix this error of second screenshot because I was testing yesterday NyLeve.unr map file extension format it was working fine speaking of test map however there were no textures(only that ones looking kind of like moon craters)and jazz was unable to swim after testing I closed and I exited the game speaking of jj3d alpha demo this first error popped up(occured) and JJ3DeD.exe unreal editor 1 was closed automatically after that. I made mistake i should record a video yesterday. Are .uc files exportable and importable in Blender not only _d.3d and _a.3d files.
Last edited by luke11685 on Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

The second error tells you what's the issue: you lack package PlayrShp. This is probably PlayrShp.utx which is the Unreal1 texture package used in Entry.unr (if it's similar to Unreal's Entry). Simply copy the package from Unreal to JJ3D's texture folder and it should be fine.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Yeah because it happened when I copy and paste maps of Unreal 1 to Jazz Jackrabbit 3D. That first error occured before I patched Unreal Gold Editor 1.
This is related to copy and pasting almost all maps from Unreal 1 to Jazz Jackrabbit 3D.
Last edited by luke11685 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

You can't copy/paste from one game to the other and expect things to run correctly.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

So what should I do now? I deleted maps from Unreal 1 in JJ3D maps folder only already.
Last edited by luke11685 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

I don't know, what are you trying to do?

If you want to import full maps into JJ3D, your best bet is to copy the map from Unreal's editor and then paste it into JJ3D's editor. Then you will need to obtain the texture. If JJ3D is able to open Unreal texture packages, then you can simply copy the packages from Unreal's /textures/ folder to JJ3D's (assuming they use the same folder structure).

This will give you a map which looks perfectly similar, but it will lack everything that is Unreal-specific: monsters, maybe some AI actors, items, etc.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

I want to patch JJ3D (alpha demo) editor just like unreal gold editor.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

Hi Luke,

Patching JJ3d or it's editor won't be possible without permission from Epic and JJ3d's sourcecode.

You would have to sign an NDA with Epic to get the source code, which is not a very easy thing to do.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Hi Luke,

Patching JJ3d or it's editor won't be possible without permission from Epic and JJ3d's sourcecode.

You would have to sign an NDA with Epic to get the source code, which is not a very easy thing to do.
Did JazzGruff/CloverGruff have to do the same thing? Even jazz2online community while patching Jazz Jackrabbit 2?
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

Honestly I have no idea about that, but the Jazz3 demo was not a released game (it was cancelled), whereas Jazz2 was.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Yeah I know that.

Return to “UnrealEd 2.x, the Unreal 227 editors”