For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Empty Maps in Unreal Editor 2

UnrealEd 2.1 (227i) and UnrealEd 2.2 (227j), for Unreal 227. With many additions, bugfixes and improvements. Ask mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Empty Maps in Unreal Editor 2

Post by luke11685 »

Unreal Editor 2 can't load up maps from Jazz Jackrabbit 3 I even tried in directories C:\ and D:\ because level editor is empty. However it only can open maps from unreal tournament 1999. I was thinking where can I find script in which I can find information of blue hare NPC behaving like shopkeeper salesman of carrots and weapons? Also where can I find way to make such a thing to be able to display maps in jj3d? Where I can even find blue rabbit(I want to know how can I extract/unpack and pack to the unreal editor 1 or unreal editor 2(will I have to import all scripts and assets to unreal editor 2?) NPC I mean how can I extract model of this character? One more thing do you know how can I(optionally) merge all maps in jj3d alpha demo(without any loading screens) just like(open world just the legend of zelda breath of the wild,minecraft)super mario 64 open world/battle royale(it's very popular nowadays)(nobody made spider-man(2000) a'la open world/battle royale mod,yet-to make it look more like marvel's spider-man made/developed by insomniac games and published by sony). Well it's just my random suggestion. I guess I'm afraid I confused you because I want to make so much mutliple game modding projects. I mean it's only related to jj3d for now and nothing else. Let's hope Epic Games lawyers won't take it down like in case Nintendo lawyers did with Super Mario Bros. 1 Battle Royale.However at least there's still Flapybird and Tetris 99 with Battle Royale game modes.
Last edited by luke11685 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Re: Empty Maps in Unreal Editor 2

Post by BobIsUnreal »

based on the number of question you asked at once, i will judge that what I think you want to do i is possibly beyond you level or current skill. also not sure if you trying to mod the game alpha inself, or ( probably much better) export the assests to a newer build and roll from there.

The other editors game editors wont be able to almost ever open or run the original jj3 files, or honestly most games files.
every game has its quirks, notable , function definitions and struct elements, and more importantly in many cases bounds to dlls or changes in core files between engine builds.

jj3d is unreal build 400 thats closer to UT99 then unreal227.
however- 227 has some ability to ignore invalid struct parameters and fuction conventions. so its probably a better choice...

also however- important to you, sound files, texture files and JazzObjectoids, and JazzDecoration will work out of the box in any version of unreal 1 , since they are formated in a stanard way.

The maps ( in my experiance ) due to incompatibility stated above , are easier to export from one game and import into another , then they are to attempt to run as they are. I have actually done this, this process can introduce bsp errors tho.

combining the maps could be as easy and importing one , then the next and lining it up and recompiling,Howerver maps are generally split up becuase the biger they are the higher chance of bsp problems increases, and you are limited by games max dimentions.

i never went further as a few bsp issues were ran into with just one map and i lost interest.

jazzenemy.u probably wont be so lucky..
jj3denemy is bound to calygame.u and more files..
jj3d uses LOD vertex meshes, so there are alot of tools to export these, some tools do better then others. umodel.utpt,other 3rd party tools etc all have there shortcommings.but will work.
the import code is still in the script headers, so half your harder importing work is done for you.

export all the models, and create placeholder classes to import them using the aproprate import headers.
after playing with that for a day or so and getting it to all compile, That will get you the models standalone to work with in a newer version of unreal.

note: you may need to do this as necessarily for effect assests and scripts from other interlinked packages, such as effects, they can be subsituted for testiong.

then you need to restructure all the enemy classes and scripts to align to unreals structure and layout( pawn>creature>etc) and remove any references to jj3a, or substitute them. ( at a glance, this looks easy-ish - in general the games are yery closely related games.)

you other option that avoids all this work , is to find witch jazz package is stopping it from loading, examine the log, then patch out the issues untill it runs. this methed basicly involses exporting everything and recopiling and debuging repetatly unreal the scripts compile on a alternate version of unreal. then after all that work , you still have to export the maps most likly due to mylevel properties etc........ fe.dr brain maps open in unreal227i- but the levels wont play sine they have extra missing core.mylevel struct elements.

luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Thank you for help.
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by BobIsUnreal »

i am looking into this a bit more atm.
i am attempting methd 2# above.

the scripts look to load in 227, but require recompilation, so i am running tho them to see it i can eventually get them to compile, in my spare time, calygame is the roadblock atm, so far 29 classes have to be edited. but my effort is to see if the maps will open in 227 using just modifed files.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Why you said that you'll never finish your Unreal 1 a'la Jazz Jackrabbit 3 level map mod? Today I played awesome Doom 2 Jazz Jackrabbit mod. Midlle 90's aesthetics. Did Unreal Engine 1(1995) have any difference besides icons(for scripts of game design) and Id Tech 2(I guess this one was more simple back then,right? I'm just interpreting some guy who made some mods for Quake 1 and then he was hired by Epic Games)https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... -doom-v21/ because final version of Unreal Engine 1(1998) was more equivalent to Golden Source engine,right?
dustinechoes849
OldUnreal Member

Post by dustinechoes849 »

final version of Unreal Engine 1(1998) was more equivalent to Golden Source engine,right?
i'm fairly certain that goldsource is based off the quake engine
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Did Unreal Engine 1(1995) have any difference besides icons(for scripts of game design) and Id Tech 2(I guess this one was more simple back then,right? I'm just interpreting some guy who made some mods for Quake 1 and then he was hired by Epic Games)https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... -doom-v21/ because final version of Unreal Engine 1(1998) was more equivalent to Golden Source engine,right?
The difference is that there is absolutely nothing in common between these engines. Quake and Unreal engines are totally separate matters and GoldSrc, Half-Life's engine, is a heavily modified Quake Engine.
Some guys who worked on Quake were hired by Epic because they were competent, but that doesn't mean the engines were the same. Steve Polge was hired by Epic after coding bots for Quake, but that just means he was noticed for being very good at what he did.

In terms of capacity, IdTech 2 has different versions but Unreal is definitely more advanced than Quake, if only because it includes coloured lighting and procedural texture generation for things like fire. It's close to Quake 2 and GoldSrc. It's better than Q2 for sure, but regarding HL, I'd say it's a matter of taste.
You must construct additional pylons.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Yes indeed Unreal Engine 1 was more complicate back then since that time of late 90's.
Can you tell me how can I merge all jj3d alpha demo maps in Unreal Editor 1. Because this hack/mod looks interesting. Did I show you this before already? I'm just also wondering how this guy made demake/bootleg of this game.

There's also another one.
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by BobIsUnreal »

ok so after a few days work,
use this along with the original jj3a files in unreal 227j/i to allow you to open/edit/play the maps in unreal227gold.
http://www.bobisunreal.com/random/Forum/CalyGame.u
this will allow you to use the stable unrealeditor2.1 to edit he maps into a pangia.

it has a bunch of scripts commented out ,so its for editing,viewing only etc, not for functionally playing the game.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

What a shame that UT4XConverter(github future manual updates were looking promissing,but it was discontinued) was discontinued and then Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney confirmed that Unreal Tournament 2016 is dead officially. I'm just imterpreting his words in my own way.Well Epic Games and Tencent are making lots of money by updating Fortnite Battle Royale including esports events. By the way do you know how can I export .t3d or .unr(did unreal 0.9.5 had .wad files instead of .t3d,but still .unr file format extension back in the mid-90's?) in unreal editor/engine 2 to then import it in Blender as .obj file? Somebody here showed me some mesh viewer,but I have no export or import options in Unreal Editor 2.1. Also my Caly.u file seems to be empty.
Last edited by luke11685 on Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “UnrealEd 2.x, the Unreal 227 editors”