For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

BSP going crazy

UnrealEd 2.1 (227i) and UnrealEd 2.2 (227j), for Unreal 227. With many additions, bugfixes and improvements. Ask mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks.
SJ85
OldUnreal Member

BSP going crazy

Post by SJ85 »

Hi everyone.

I'm having a problem with the way my map handles BSP cuts. In the first image, everything looks pretty ok, for as far as I can tell. When I make the smallest of changes, like turning one solid brush into a semi-solid on the far end of the map or making zones, the cuts are completely different and look far worse.

I've looked into the BSP cutting documentation but I'm kinda lost here... Is there anyone willing to take a look at my map and put me in the right direction or tell me if I completely messed up? :)

Image with 'good' cuts:

Image with 'bad' cuts:
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Re: BSP going crazy

Post by gopostal »

It's a little hard to tell but I don't think all your brushes are lining up. Some of them look to be 1uu offset, but that could be just the lower quality jpg of the editor screen.

Send me the map and let me look at it. I can't tell you the number of times I've done this for people and had people do it for me. Fresh eyes so often see things you miss when you are the person creating it.

My email is agutgopostal at hotmail dot com or I'll be in my TS3 server (71.11.65.100) later tonight (9-ish west coast US time).
Last edited by gopostal on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
SJ85
OldUnreal Member

Post by SJ85 »

I'll send the file to your e-mail address. Thanks for your help!
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Got your map. I emailed a reply but it's also worth posting a reply here too because I saw a very common error that I've also done a bunch.

You used semi-solid brushes liberally and well. I liked that you took the time to decide between the two and made some good choices. I saw a few instances of the same problem though. You are intersecting normal BSP additive/subtractive brushes with semi-solid brushes. That's almost always going to create problems. Generally brushes shouldn't encroach each other, it's best to clip them. Semi solids though are especially a nightmare when they poke into the level BSP. HOM's, missing faces, etc. are going to happen.

Your map is good and it's worth the time to remake those brushes that are overlapping.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
AlexNitro44
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlexNitro44 »

Semi solids though are especially a nightmare when they poke into the level BSP. HOM's, missing faces, etc. are going to happen.
Never knew this would be this big an issue, this will be something to look into for my map.
As for my experiences with semisolids, the most common problem I've had is polygons being assigned to the wrong (usually an adjacent) zone. I've noticed this happening on occasion when a surface on a semisolid in one zone is coplanar to a solid surface in another zone. Here's one example of many from the map I'm working on:

Despite the somewhat haphazard brushes in the map, there are few BSP issues - the main issues are not shown in this screenshot and are on the other side of the map.
Rubie
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rubie »

Semi solids though are especially a nightmare when they poke into the level BSP. HOM's, missing faces, etc. are going to happen.
Never knew this would be this big an issue, this will be something to look into for my map.
As for my experiences with semisolids, the most common problem I've had is polygons being assigned to the wrong (usually an adjacent) zone. I've noticed this happening on occasion when a surface on a semisolid in one zone is coplanar to a solid surface in another zone. Here's one example of many from the map I'm working on:

Despite the somewhat haphazard brushes in the map, there are few BSP issues - the main issues are not shown in this screenshot and are on the other side of the map.

avoid nonsolids touching semisolids leave ad least 1 grid space (if grid is set to 1) :)
you can also if your nonsolid I see is a sort of decoration set the brush to 268 polyflags , clic right on brushproperties select the dropdownmenu from brush and change there the polyflags, a solid has 0 polyflags a semi has 32 just for your info and where you need to look for changing that stuff.
Test it out !
I have no signature :)

Return to “UnrealEd 2.x, the Unreal 227 editors”