For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Submaps

UnrealEd 2.1 (227i) and UnrealEd 2.2 (227j), for Unreal 227. With many additions, bugfixes and improvements. Ask mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks.
Youri87
OldUnreal Member

Submaps

Post by Youri87 »

So, there is a submap feature in Unreal 227j and I have some questions about it, since there is no tutorial.
Rather then just test everything out I thought it would be easier to aks it here.
I would love to see all the possibilities of this mechanic.

If the main map (A) has lets say 2 sublevels (B) and (C), then it's possible to travel from A to B and from A to C and back right?

Now here are the questions : 8)

- Do I also need to set A as sublevel of B and C
- Do all (sub)levels and their content stay loaded after travelling (for example: Do corpses stay and does the game remember wich triggers/movers are already have been triggered) --> Like in Quake 2
- Is it also possible to travel from B to C and back while all (sub)levels stay loaded?
- Does it also work in coop?
Bleeder91[NL]
OldUnreal Member

Re: Submaps

Post by Bleeder91[NL] »

You set the sublevels in the main map. The sublevels will then be loaded into memory once the main map is started, allowing you to travel from/to/between levels as if they were made in the same map. They do keep their own level info, such as creator and title.
ExpEM
OldUnreal Member

Post by ExpEM »

Is it possible to have multiples of the same sub-level or do I have to duplicate the level over for each time I want to use it?
Is there a limit to how many sub-levels I can have?
Can I hack in game saves as sub-levels? (Idk could lead to interesting things)

Lets us imagine I want to make an infinite world by stitching together (the same limited number of) sub-levels (repeating the same levels), how far can I go before everything breaks?

Can I use one Sub-Level with multiple Entry / Exit Teleporters to make it appear as multiple levels?
Can I send a Sub-level to itself? Will it be a new level or the same one again?

Edit:
Lets say level 'A' has Sub-Level 'B', Sub-Level 'A' has two Exit-Teleporters, Sub-Level 'B' has two Entry-Teleporters.
If I travel from A -> B1 -> A -> B2 is level 'B' one level or two?

Edit2:
Can I add Sub-Levels to the "Master level" from a sub level?
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

I may stand to be corrected, but i think warpzones can also link sublevels?
Lets us imagine I want to make an infinite world by stitching together (the same limited number of) sub-levels (repeating the same levels), how far can I go before everything breaks?
That's something i'm interested in knowing too, as I'm working on an open world project that makes heavy use of sublevels:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/terra-mining-region

I'm having to use other methods to link the levels though instead of warpzones, as the maps are made using the bulletproof geo/non-solid method ( https://www.unrealsp.org/articles/level ... th-blender ) and as warpzones are BSP based, they don't work well with the bulletproof method which requires everything be made the same way or not at all.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
ExpEM
OldUnreal Member

Post by ExpEM »

Kajgue wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:21 pm I may stand to be corrected, but i think warpzones can also link sublevels?
That's something i'm interested in knowing too, as I'm working on an open world project that makes heavy use of sublevels:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/terra-mining-region

I'm having to use other methods to link the levels though instead of warpzones, as the maps are made using the bulletproof geo/non-solid method ( https://www.unrealsp.org/articles/level ... th-blender ) and as warpzones are BSP based, they don't work well with the bulletproof method which requires everything be made the same way or not at all.
Thanks for the links! Interesting stuff.

I've done some tinkering and got both the Teleporter and WarpZone methods working.
For the WarpZones, I made a level with just the two sides of the WarpZones to make sure they linked up then Copy-Pasted into the two respective maps and fixed up TargetLevelID.
No reason why one cant mix and match Blender-StaticMesh and BSP terrain.

You CAN add the 'Master" level to itself which will create a duplication of the level, you will not travel back to the original "Master" level (so all inventory and pawns will respawn etc. as a fresh play).

You CAN use multiple Entry / Exit Teleporters on Sub-Levels linking to multiple other Sub-Levels.

I haven't yet found a way to add more Sub-Levels 'on the fly' and it looks like a no go.

I'm planning to test modifying WarpZones and Teleporter Destinations within Sub-Levels for 'random' world generation.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

ExpEM wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:21 am
Thanks for the links! Interesting stuff.

I've done some tinkering and got both the Teleporter and WarpZone methods working.
For the WarpZones, I made a level with just the two sides of the WarpZones to make sure they linked up then Copy-Pasted into the two respective maps and fixed up TargetLevelID.

You CAN add the 'Master" level to itself which will create a duplication of the level, you will not travel back to the original "Master" level (so all inventory and pawns will respawn etc. as a fresh play).

You CAN use multiple Entry / Exit Teleporters on Sub-Levels linking to multiple other Sub-Levels.

I haven't yet found a way to add more Sub-Levels 'on the fly' and it looks like a no go.

I'm planning to test modifying WarpZones and Teleporter Destinations within Sub-Levels for 'random' world generation.
Cool.

Yeah I personally haven't heard of anyone fiddling with on the fly added sublevels yet, so you're probably the first to experiment with that lol.
The method which the map is created with based on the tutorial I wrote in the unrealsp link above unfortunately doesn't work great when mixing zoneportal based geometry in conjunction with purely non-solid map geometry. Very early on during the development of the project I tested this method with multiple different conditions, unfortunately the compiler really hates the mix of BSP based zones and non-solid geometry :( So it's one of those things which is either all or nothing to get it to work to the most optimal effect, but the nonsolid brush + supplemented static mesh collision methods optimal effect really works VERY damn well at avoiding any BSP problem. :)

That's basically why i can't use BSP based warpzones. If there was an volume actor as an alternative to this, that would probably be an option. :)
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard

Return to “UnrealEd 2.x, the Unreal 227 editors”