For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Encroach Damage: custom MomentumTransfer ?

UnrealEd 2.1 (227i) and UnrealEd 2.2 (227j), for Unreal 227. With many additions, bugfixes and improvements. Ask mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks.
claytonhannah

Encroach Damage: custom MomentumTransfer ?

Post by claytonhannah »

Hi Everyone,

Just to explain my goal...

I have this room where I have a custom SkaarjLord that rips through Nalis that I have dropping endlessly into the room. There is no point to this level other than to watch this sadistic game mechanic. Anyway, I noticed they would crowd around the edges, so I made four posts that pop up in each corner of the room and after a few seconds a massive lightning bolt will arc between the posts and blow apart any Nalis crowded around the edges.

My challenge is this... I want them to REALLY blow up.

Right now what kills them is just an invisible crusher that does a lot of encroach damage. When it gibs them though the chunks just fall to the ground. I want them to fly all over the place. Should I mess around with the mover class? Should I somehow create a custom ExplosionChain or SpecialEvent. Is there some effect that does all of this that I haven't yet discovered?

Any tips are very much appreciated!
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Re: Encroach Damage: custom MomentumTransfer ?

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

you should be able to override the mover class and modify the encroachedby or some other event to destroy the monster and instead spawn its creature master chunk with a huge velocity set on it
claytonhannah

Re: Encroach Damage: custom MomentumTransfer ?

Post by claytonhannah »

Thanks KAOS,

I've never used anything other than spawnpoints and creature/thingfactories to spawn things and could use a lot of pointers in general. All the scripting tutorials are mostly geared toward weapons in Unreal Tournament, not scripted events in Unreal 1. Know of any good ones? It looks like the mover class has the code governing the velocity of chunks spawned due to encroach damage. But I don't really want to change anything about the mover class actually because it's so far up in the tree.

I was thinking if I could just make a simple actor that when triggered (repeatedly), spawns another actor who's only effect is a hurtradius of 24 and a huge momentumtransfer. Then place them all around the perimeter with a spacing of 48. That would do what I want. Probly not elegantly... but that would do it.
I tried turning the explosionchain and smokegenerator classes into some kind of messy class that would achieve the desired effect but.. nope.
I also tried bumpeffects and zoneinfo stuff with the mover.

Return to “UnrealEd 2.x, the Unreal 227 editors”