For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Porting Levels

UnrealEd 2.1 (227i) and UnrealEd 2.2 (227j), for Unreal 227. With many additions, bugfixes and improvements. Ask mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks.
Thor110
OldUnreal Member

Re: Porting Levels

Post by Thor110 »

Just wanted to extend my thanks once more to everyone that helped and drop an update here for anyone to see that might be interested.

I decided to go with Unreal Engine 4 and might bring it into Unreal Engine 5 eventually

I am still thinking about modding it into UT2004 just for the all round experience and fun of it.

So anyway here are some updated screenshots.
What waits down this corridor?
corridor.jpg
Is it your equipment?
equipment.jpg
Or is it the embarkation room?
gateroom.jpg
Thor110
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Early Access of The Expanded Galaxy Project for KotOR 2 has been released on DeadlyStream and the ModDB page! Main <KotOR2 & KotOR1-Port> Port
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I personally think that UE2 version should exist because its still more similar etc and at the end of the day might require less work in total, but feel free to bring it to the newest engines too if that's what it takes or you find them easier to work with. My only gripe with most larger scale UE4 projects is that so many of them got discontinued (including epic's own ut game) and I don't like that most developers don't get rid of the basic UE4 shiny looks that make everything look like overly polished plastic or ceramic lol. I don't know if changing that look is necesary only in the native code or what (hence why most people didn't bother who are not experienced) but it did bother me over time to see that look in almost every project.

Its like someone using cleaning stuff on tiles in bathroom or kitchen for hours end and then you put that into a game on surfaces that don't look realistic at all with that kind of look lol.
Thor110
OldUnreal Member

Post by Thor110 »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:50 am I personally think that UE2 version should exist because its still more similar etc and at the end of the day might require less work in total, but feel free to bring it to the newest engines too if that's what it takes or you find them easier to work with. My only gripe with most larger scale UE4 projects is that so many of them got discontinued (including epic's own ut game) and I don't like that most developers don't get rid of the basic UE4 shiny looks that make everything look like overly polished plastic or ceramic lol. I don't know if changing that look is necesary only in the native code or what (hence why most people didn't bother who are not experienced) but it did bother me over time to see that look in almost every project.

Its like someone using cleaning stuff on tiles in bathroom or kitchen for hours end and then you put that into a game on surfaces that don't look realistic at all with that kind of look lol.
Yeah I can understand that, games have been far too glossy for years now.

If you know of a way to quickly repack entire packages in UE2 as opposed to importing each individual file and creating a package I would potentially be up for trying to recreate it in both UE2 & UE4 just for the fun of it.

Thor110
Early Access of The Expanded Galaxy Project for KotOR 2 has been released on DeadlyStream and the ModDB page! Main <KotOR2 & KotOR1-Port> Port
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

As a matter of fact I do. You can use editor commands/create a sort of a batch file. UCC has useful hidden options too. I can't list them right now, but what I've done when I converted dm-junkyard to u2xmp (you can find it on my moddb page) was that indeed instead of one by one importing I had it ready in a text file where only the names were copied to each. You can export/import staticmeshes as t3d too using ucc etc. I will ask yrex if he could give you the run-down of all the commands.

After you have the file with list of editor commands you can simpl execute something like
exec importmeshes.txt and it will parse ALL the editor commands inside that file!
Thor110
OldUnreal Member

Post by Thor110 »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:10 pm As a matter of fact I do. You can use editor commands/create a sort of a batch file. UCC has useful hidden options too. I can't list them right now, but what I've done when I converted dm-junkyard to u2xmp (you can find it on my moddb page) was that indeed instead of one by one importing I had it ready in a text file where only the names were copied to each. You can export/import staticmeshes as t3d too using ucc etc. I will ask yrex if he could give you the run-down of all the commands.

After you have the file with list of editor commands you can simpl execute something like
exec importmeshes.txt and it will parse ALL the editor commands inside that file!
So essentially I will need to list the compression ratios and directory / structure of the original packages and write out a list of commands to get them imported.

I knew something like this would have been possible but am not so familiar with UCC / the commandlet anymore.

There must be some documentation or a list of existing commands somewhere, I will take a look around. Or I can probably just run UCC help. or commands / list. Or something like this.

What I will do is finish up getting every level / package loaded into UE4 then double back round and give it a try in UE2 sometime in the near future as well.

Thor110
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

The problem is that not all of it is documented, some commandlets have to be invoked the hard way.

There is a provision for t3d export of staticmeshes even though there are problems with sheet-like surfaces becoming practically invisible if you don't import it from ASC or whatever.

ucc editor.batchexport package staticmesh t3d ..\tmp\

for example should work. But then importing is another thing and since you already have exported t3ds I recommend indeed making a text file with import lines for the staticmeshes. for the junkyard level (the original warfare version) I had zeur write a script that in the end put all the exported t3ds I had in one file.

https://www.moddb.com/games/unreal-ii/a ... e-junkyard

The problem is I don't recall the exact import commands now, unless I wrote them down in the readme (you can check) or the other conversions. I have no clue anymore. I should have the altered file somewhere on the unix machine where all the lines were meant to go to, but I don't know where it was anymore as I did that before I lost the roof above the head thanks to my "mom" and now she keeps doing it again and again and she's only "nice" when i'm sick in bed otherwise she spun a story of me being abusive bastard when each time i tell her some criticism she turns it around or spins it around and says those words to other people. strategy was right when he said I should consider myself an orphan and that was years ago. She managed to do so much damage since by manipulation.

I mean the first time it was because she left us in that flat where the owner had plan of selling the flat because of problems with his bank. We tried to find a new flat and she chose one with abusive owners with a camera at front door and shared meter she doesn't have acess to and a "barricaded" door so otherwise nearly shared facilities. She got burned hard by that experience ended up in a legal fight with them, that is why we didn't want to move in, but the arrogant bitch caused me to get in argument with her on the bus having the bus driver throw us out so we had to walk all the way home back from the "visit" of the new place. Then we entered back and she had her things gone already and packed away. So yes she left us there, its not like she suddenly now claims "we wanted to stay there" that's BS. So eventually after the owner was in prison or something and incontactable suddenly one day the dept collector came to "evict" anyone from the flat and take all things away to a temporary storage because it was like emptying order. It wasn't about our depts or her depts specifically it was about the owner. But she moved over time all things belonging to her or nearly all so she had no less and she had no time to worry. And I do not trust some of her excuses anymore because she's psychotic or outright psychopathic now. She just lies or tells half truths, discusses private matters in public without the full story, tries to bully us all the time and extort stuff from us. Its been quite enough. I mean now a week ago it was when she caused an ukraine guy to beat me up downstairs which was after she demanded that we take our things from the flat downstairs. Then suddenly she turns around and when i come down, she doesn't want to talk about anything and getting agressive. So I took some time off and waited for her to calm down but this time she became almost hysterical again saying I am agressive to her (this is what I mean with taking originally my argument and using it against me later). Well, that ukrainian guy that kept nosing around heard it and he threatened me so I told him to fuck off upon which he brutally attacked me and if there weren't any people around I believe he would have tried to kill me, because he just stood on me and kicked me without stopping, kicked away my phone, etcetera and pushed me out of building after he was done with me telling me to "take a walk". He also tried to pull down my partner when he came down after hearing my screams but it didn't work because of his larger body size than mine. This ukrainian himself was more than two meters tall and quite muscular.

And we get accused of disturbing the peace in the building? Its okay and peaceful to beat someone up but its not ok to scream when you're beaten up? They should lock them all up as far as I am concerned.

the tregedy is indeed that the covid situation only made/helped this happen in the first place and made me way more dependend on her than I would have ever liked. You know its funny how she ranted and raved to the police that they are throwing a sick person out back last year in february when she does the same to me and worse now because i'm even more ill by this point....
Thor110
OldUnreal Member

Post by Thor110 »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:35 am The problem is that not all of it is documented, some commandlets have to be invoked the hard way.

There is a provision for t3d export of staticmeshes even though there are problems with sheet-like surfaces becoming practically invisible if you don't import it from ASC or whatever.

ucc editor.batchexport package staticmesh t3d ..\tmp\
For that to work I would likely need the original editor and ucc / commandlet. But I have the meshes in .psk format which can be imported into UE2 no problem.

I'm sorry to hear about all of that, hopefully you feel better soon and things settle down.

I will take another look at importing it into UE2 sometime, probably once I have finished getting all of the maps set up / imported into UE4.

Currently 42/72 maps are loaded in and I still have 23 packages worth of models to assign materials to, but I am getting there slowly.

Thor110
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Yea then if that's the case you will just need to adjust the import command for the psk. But really, for bulk imports it is good to have a text file with all the commands in row so you can do "exec textfile" in the editor log/prompt. Then it starts importing everything.
Thor110
OldUnreal Member

Post by Thor110 »

Ok thank you again, I will make sure to check back here when I decide to try it in UE2.

Finished loading every level into UE4 though I still have 23 packages containing hundreds of StaticMeshes in each package that I still need to assign materials to.

Unfortunately the terrain didn't port across but umodel extracted the terrain as heightmaps so I shouldn't have any trouble there.

Another screenshot.
secret.jpg
Thor110
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

There are ways to port terrains over to non UE2 stuff but it gets a little more complicated, even though it was explained to me once via someone who had the information from .:..: I believe, I never actually tried it sucesfuly. But that was more like porting it to bsp.
Thor110
OldUnreal Member

Post by Thor110 »

The program I used to convert the T3Ds I thought would handle terrain but it seems in this case it did not.

Unfortunately the extracted heightmaps are absolutely tiny and don't import very nicely at all.

Realistically recreating the terrain from scratch wouldn't be too much work anyway as not very many of the levels even have terrain.

Thor110
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Ah so its missing the coordinates etc? Hmm...what about tha tables editor/utpt anything that can view properties in theory? I mean it should be stored in the terraininfo.
Thor110
OldUnreal Member

Post by Thor110 »

I can view the TerrainInfo in UE Explorer which should be helpful.

Code: Select all

begin object name=TerrainInfo5 class=TerrainInfo
    TerrainMap=Texture'NewTerrain2.HM2A_2'
    TerrainScale=(X=448.0,Y=768.0,Z=64.0)
    Layers[0]=(Texture=Texture'M02Tex.M02_gr_rocks_02',AlphaMap=Texture'NewTerrain2.AM02A_20XY',UScale=2.0,VScale=4.0,UPan=0.0,VPan=0.0,TextureMapAxis=0,TextureRotation=0.0,LayerRotation=(Pitch=0,Yaw=0,Roll=0),TerrainMatrix=(XPlane=(X=14287470.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0,W=0.0),YPlane=(X=0.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0,W=0.0),ZPlane=(X=14287470.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0,W=0.0),WPlane=(X=0.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0,W=0.0)),ZPlane=(X=0.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0,W=0.0))
    Layers[1]=(Texture=Texture'M02Tex.M02_gr_grass_01',AlphaMap=Texture'NewTerrain2.AM02A_21XY',UScale=1.50,VScale=1.0,UPan=0.0,VPan=0.0,TextureMapAxis=0,TextureRotation=0.0,LayerRotation=(Pitch=0,Yaw=0,Roll=0),TerrainMatrix=(XPlane=(X=14287470.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0,W=0.00000000240),YPlane=(X=0.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0,W=0.0),ZPlane=(X=14287470.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0,W=0.0),WPlane=(X=0.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0,W=0.0)),ZPlane=(X=0.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0,W=0.0))
    Layers[2]=(Texture=Texture'M02Tex.M02_gr_grass_02',AlphaMap=Texture'NewTerrain2.AM02A_22XY',UScale=1.0,VScale=1.0,UPan=0.0,VPan=0.0,TextureMapAxis=0,TextureRotation=0.0,LayerRotation=(Pitch=0,Yaw=0,Roll=0),TerrainMatrix=(XPlane=(X=14287470.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0,W=0.0),YPlane=(X=0.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0,W=0.0),ZPlane=(X=14287470.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0,W=0.0),WPlane=(X=0.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0,W=0.0)),ZPlane=(X=0.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0,W=0.0))
    Layers[3]=(Texture=Texture'M02Tex.M02_wall_mine_06',AlphaMap=Texture'NewTerrain2.AM02A_23XY',UScale=1.0,VScale=1.0,UPan=0.0,VPan=0.0,TextureMapAxis=0,TextureRotation=0.0,LayerRotation=(Pitch=0,Yaw=0,Roll=0),TerrainMatrix=(XPlane=(X=14287470.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0,W=0.0),YPlane=(X=0.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0,W=0.0),ZPlane=(X=14287470.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0,W=0.0),WPlane=(X=0.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0,W=0.0)),ZPlane=(X=0.0,Y=0.0,Z=0.0,W=0.0))
    QuadVisibilityBitmap=/* Array type was not detected. */
    EdgeTurnBitmap=/* Array type was not detected. */
    Level=LevelInfo'LevelInfo0'
    Region=(Zone=ZoneInfo'ZoneInfo1',iLeaf=13,ZoneNumber=7)
    Tag=TerrainInfo
    PhysicsVolume=DefaultPhysicsVolume'DefaultPhysicsVolume4'
    Location=(X=2815.3830,Y=2381.6080,Z=-7604.0)
    DrawScale=33.0
object end
The terrain info also exists for the t3d's converted by UnrToT3D but not when converted to UE4 through UT4X converter. Though it is supposed to handle terrain but unfortunately not in this case.

I haven't really taken a serious look at the data yet as I still have other things that are just as important that need setting up first. ( 23 packages still remain and I also need to reimport each level after another round of editing the T3D data to point towards the new locations for assets that were packaged within each map, but before I actually do that I need to go through the assets and remove or clear out duplicates as there are many throughout the packages )

Thor110
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Ok but for the UE2 version this should help with the terraininfo.

Either way I did find the example line of how to import the staticmeshes, here it is:

STATICMESH IMPORT FILE="PATH" NAME="name" PACKAGE="MyLevel" GROUP="GROUPNAME"

for example

if you make a text file with all those and issue the "exec textfile" command, that will help things greatly. It will import it all at once.
Thor110
OldUnreal Member

Post by Thor110 »

For the UE2 version the terrain info itself imports fine but will need the heightmap for it to be generated which requires that I set up all the packages correctly.

Thanks for the info, will definitely give it a try once the UE4 version's maps are built.

So far I have been trawling through the UE4 T3D's and fixing any remaining errors.

I have 37 levels imported almost flawlessly that only really lack terrain and a few engine meshes / textures that I need to import before I adjust the directory in the T3Ds and then I can reimport the final version of these levels.

35 left for me to analyse and fix the t3d data for and I still have those 23 packages worth of models to assign materials to but it's getting there.

Thor110
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

That's good, best of luck there.
Thor110
OldUnreal Member

Post by Thor110 »

As I had a few messages from people regarding what they had seen of the project here I wanted to post a little bit of an update.

While I haven't really worked on it all that much for a little while, I do have everything imported and set up properly in UE4.

I did not attempt to import it into UE2 again but I might try again soon using Star Wars Republic Commando as a base, because it is another UE2 game I like and have worked with a little though it's likely just going to be a bit of fun in the long run, the same as the UE4 version.

Speaking of a bit of fun, I recently went through the same process for Star Wars Republic Commando for the fun of it. ( Getting it over to UE4 that is )
Unreal Engine 4 SWRC.png
UE4-SWRC.png
RAS-03C.png
And for anyone interested in toying around with the whole process themselves I also wrote a rough guide / tutorial for doing so over on ModDB. ( should be up in a day or so once it's authorised )
https://www.moddb.com/games/star-wars-r ... /tutorials I also provide access to the edited SWRC T3D files here : And for anyone interested in the SGA T3D files they are also here : If anyone wants to help out feel free to reach out to me on Discord, I am much more active there. : https://discord.gg/7sNXNugsJd The guide should provide an overview for how to get most things setup as well as editing the T3D files accordingly for those that might want to repeat the process or try it out on a different UE2 game.

Thor110

my thanks again Leo, getting to explore the maps has been a lot of fun ( I think for the most part that's what a lot of people want out of the games leaked files, just a good chance to look around at what could have been ) hopefully I will be able to continue to work on it. Playing it through on an emulator or real hardware just isn't an option due to how hard it lags and crashes, though I did manage to play it through like that I would never try to do so again.

My playthrough on YouTube :
Thor110
OldUnreal Member

Post by Thor110 »

Wanted to drop in with yet another update to this project.

I have now automated the majority of the process of porting both Stargate SG-1 : The Alliance and Star Wars Republic Commando's levels over to UE5.

This video isn't very interesting but it shows the latest stage of the project for Republic Commando in specific.

Since working on these I have expanded my horizons and I have been looking at doing this for all UE1/2/3 & UDK Games via an entirely automated process.

I returned in hopes that I could request your assistance yet again.

Would it be possible for you to add the ability to pass command line options to the program?

I also wonder if it would also be possible to integrate more engine specifics for various games in the way that you did for Stargate?

Thanks again for your help before, if this isn't a possibility I can continue slugging through T3D files and manually exporting maps via editors.

Thor110
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I will take a look at it later one our main connection works again...however I can't really myself compile native code and such and if I inserted code it would be kind of bland so I'd rather if someone else does it who is experienced with C++. I mostly do stuff in UnrealScript.
Thor110
OldUnreal Member

Post by Thor110 »

No worries and no rush, is the source available for it then? I could take a look at it, but the more and more I look at the overall situation, the more I realise that it might be a little crazy for me to pursue packaging the entire project into a single program because it would require that I re-roll UnrToT3D, UModel and the UT4X converter into a single program, or at the very least add command line parameter options to the UT4X Converter and UnrToT3D.

Currently UModel extracts everything fine and the UT4X converter can convert T3D levels, but it gets all the Texture/StaticMesh locations very wrong.

UT4X Converter
Texture=/Game/Converted/RO-Arad-UT2004/Arad_T_SkyandFog_FogRingColor_Mat.Arad_T_SkyandFog_FogRingColor_Mat

My Corrections
Texture=/Game/Materials/Arad_T/SkyandFog/FogRingColor_Mat.FogRingColor_Mat

Until the past few days I was correcting this manually with a well planned series of find & replace operations, but that still took a solid amount of hours to do for most games, so I wrote an overly complicated batch script to correct them for me, which currently works perfectly, but takes many hours to finish correcting the T3D files because it has to cross reference the extracted packages category names as folders with the line in question when it comes across it as I could see no other way of doing it with what information I have available to me throughout the course of the current process.

It is however a lot more efficient than doing it manually where if I make a single mistake I have to start again, or tab through each file in notepad++ and press undo on each file.

The idea of re-rolling all three programs into one is a bit of a daunting task and I am not sure it's worth the time and effort.

If there is a specific set of values that you take from a specific script and replace in the existing program?
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

Source: https://geocities.ws/yrex/mojunreal/Unr ... 40227b.zip

I also added some command line support. Not sure if that's what you want, I kinda forgot about this thread.
My work | contact: ampoyrex at wp dot pl
Thor110
OldUnreal Member

Post by Thor110 »

yrex . wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:55 pm Source: https://geocities.ws/yrex/mojunreal/Unr ... 40227b.zip

I also added some command line support. Not sure if that's what you want, I kinda forgot about this thread.
Thank you! No worries, I'll see how I get on with it all.

Return to “UnrealEd 2.x, the Unreal 227 editors”