For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

227 Skeletalmesh Functions

The section related to UnrealScript and modding. This board is for coders to discuss and exchange experiences or ask questions.
Stead-Z
OldUnreal Member

227 Skeletalmesh Functions

Post by Stead-Z »

Howdy all,

I've been messing around with Skeletal Meshes for a project I'm working on at the moment and I've been wondering about some features I know are possible through 227's skeletalmesh functions as stated in Actor.

The biggest one for me is the possibility to "mix" animations - I'm wanting to have my character(s) be able to run facial animations over the top of other animations for example. Now I know that in the Harry Potter games this is done through what they call anim channels, however I don't see any thing in 227 that looks similar to this but I know it's possible as Qtit/Enzyme showcased animation mixing in an example video from a few years back.

Another thing I've been wondering about is what the difference/advantage of using SkelPlayAnim over the usual PlayAnim/LoopAnim/TweenAnim is. Is it more efficient/optimal to use this function over the traditional ones?

These points aside, any sort of documentation on how these new skeletalmesh functions can be used would be a godsend as there are literally 0 released projects that actually make any use of them and no resources available online - unless of course the 227 implementation is basically the same as the UT2004 in which case I shall scour that codebase for relevant info.

Cheers
SZ
.:..:
OldUnreal Member

Re: 227 Skeletalmesh Functions

Post by .:..: »

Well 227j has a whole set of new skeletal mesh features. 227i ones are a little wonky.

Well to answer the question, SkelPlayAnim is not faster then PlayAnim/LoopAnim, so you should only use it to play a sub-tree animation (like upper torso animation for player model).

227j adds IK solvers support (kinda like UE3) where you can use it to make character head look at something, or feet stretch out to floor height. Also it adds skeletal mesh hitbones to make projectiles/bullets hit only bodyparts. And for SetBoneRotation/Offset it adds a bone space parameter which can be used to specify transformation space of the rotation/offset (whetever it should be local bone space, actor space or world space).
It also now supports having multiple Animation sets for one actor, incase you want to merge multiple animation trees with one mesh.
1823223D2A33224B0 wrote:...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD :P
(ಠ_ಠ)

Return to “UScript Board”