For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Generate playable area at runtime

The section related to UnrealScript and modding. This board is for coders to discuss and exchange experiences or ask questions.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Generate playable area at runtime

Post by gopostal »

I know this seems like a stupid idea but it's always nagged at me as being somehow possible. In fact I'm not even sure how to properly ask the question I want to ask.

I'd like the ability to create a room after the map has loaded. I can do everything else needed. I can populate the room, move players to it and back, set up my intentions, etc. but I can't figure out a way to cross that last hurdle and spawn the playable area.

Is this a thing like gravity that is just a Ued/Uengine 'law' and not really tweakable? It's easy to just say yes but for years it's been in my mind that I'm not thinking of something and that it may be legit somehow.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
TONI-M
OldUnreal Member

Re: Generate playable area at runtime

Post by TONI-M »

Create pre-models; that work like dlls; to which you give a value in real time. These values are stored in a file; in a menu.

I'll explain:
a library of rooms. This library is loaded only when a call calls.
Example call xx

Toni-m
I hope to be proved helpful. Hello
TONI-M
OldUnreal Member

Post by TONI-M »

Sorry if I misunderstood.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

That's not really what I'm asking. Let me simplify and rephrase my question...

I would like to generate a room that is 1024 cubed at a set location in "world" after the map has loaded. This room does not exist in the map. Is this possible?
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

it's theoretically possible with native mods as you can actually try to use the subtract & build functions in real time but realistically... it's not feasible. even if you could, the build times would be atrocious unless you could only build the new sections in some voided area at (-65535,-65535,-65535) and ignore all other bsp.

the best you can do without native mods and without massive delays on rebuilds is spawn a prebuilt brush and place it somewhere in the map, which is much easier said than done. you literally have to load another "MyLevel" from a package into yours and yank a brush from its level. not to mention the maps must already have space for what you want to put in it, otherwise you'll be out of world. I actually used this to have "perfect" collision in some mod I made years ago called TripBomb http://www.klankaos.com/TripBomb.u it seems i may have lost the original ucc imports but tl;dr

#exec obj load file=.\Imports\LaserCollision.unr PACKAGE=TripBomb

and some brush in there was some 32UU long rectangular box that I texture mapped and made transparent to simulate a "laser"

there's some ancient mod out there called "builder.u" that employs this method that basically allows you to create houses with BSP prefabs but it's extremely crashy on non-227 versions because of various GPFs

edit: be sure to be very careful looking at the default properties of that thing that uses the brush. pretty sure you have to really try to fake it into thinking you're spawning a brush with brush collision and not an actor with cylinder collision.
Last edited by []KAOS[]Casey on Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bleeder91[NL]
OldUnreal Member

Post by Bleeder91[NL] »

I wish you could load maps inside maps. I've made some custom warpzones that dynamically load another map's warpzone and link to that, and it does sorta work showing enemies 'n all that, but you can't go through. :(
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Thanks for the input guys. I guess if this is even possible it's outside the scope of my abilities.

I'm not sure if you all played any UT2004 but there was a series of maps in the "Command and Conquer' style that ended with the winning team being on a winner's stage. This is a screenshot example.   I wanted to attempt to bring in this functionality to any sort of map (and try something new at the same time).

I played around with running proximity checks on pathnodes during the game and attempting to find a large enough area to spawn something but it ends up that few maps have enough void space in them.

It's nice to know that I can place this firmly in the ideas discard pile.
Last edited by gopostal on Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TONI-M
OldUnreal Member

Post by TONI-M »

my idea of the library could be good. This is how Visual Basic works. A window can be sized in real time. Everything is created from data in a file. At the time I did something too. But you need to make the Unreal Compatible executable. I hope one day can be done. However, to do all this you need the Unreal source file

Toni-m
TONI-M
OldUnreal Member

Post by TONI-M »

Hello. I don't know the Unreal editor well. What I know I learned from youtube; from the advice of those who answered my questions; and from the guide.
But a certain way there is:
A nice real-time library.
If the editor allows things in real time it can be done

This library is always available; because it is loaded into memory.
instructions call it with a trigger and it generates your room ... but you have to modify Unreal.exe

Idea:
Transform all your room with various steps. Then turn it into a mover
I did it to remove holes, it works, see. If you want, I'll send you the environment ready. The whole cathedral. it is a monoblock

Now I'll send you the monoblock to try

Hi.
TONI-M
OldUnreal Member

Post by TONI-M »

As a last thought, because I believe I have misunderstood. But you can't ask someone to modify the editor executable; can't those of OldUnreal add this functionality to the editor?
Hello
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

I appreciate your input but you are answering with things that are not within the scope of what I want to do. Altering executables would for sure work but that's not it. I can generate everything within the play area, I just need the play area itself. If that can't be made with the default engine then it's not something I can do.
TONI-M
OldUnreal Member

Post by TONI-M »

Why is this area not possible to have it? What prevents it?
Can't change what would make more space possible?
Use something that can work around the obstacle?
Hello.

TONI-M

Return to “UScript Board”