For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Finding the best FireOffset for weapon viewmeshes

The section related to UnrealScript and modding. This board is for coders to discuss and exchange experiences or ask questions.
Deuxsonic
OldUnreal Member

Finding the best FireOffset for weapon viewmeshes

Post by Deuxsonic »

So far I've been doing this entirely by eye, trying to choose what looks best without any additional tools. Is there a more accurate way of finding the best settings for FireOffset that I'm not aware of?
Bleeder91[NL]
OldUnreal Member

Re: Finding the best FireOffset for weapon viewmeshes

Post by Bleeder91[NL] »

I think you can place the first person mesh in a map at vect(0,0,0), then align some actor to where it should fire from. These coords would then translate to the fireoffset.
Deuxsonic
OldUnreal Member

Post by Deuxsonic »

Interesting. Do you know the details of how to do it by chance?
Bleeder91[NL]
OldUnreal Member

Post by Bleeder91[NL] »

If you wanted perfect offset then the Automag would for instance give a Fireoffset of (x=0.4,y=-0.25,z=1.8).
What I did (and do) is this:
I place an actor at the zero point of a map (location=0,0,0) and give it the mesh of the PlayerViewMesh with the drawscale at PlayerViewScale.
Then I place a second actor at the same location and give that a different mesh (eg a sheet).
I change the PrePivot of that second actor so it will align to where the bullet should come out of like above; this value is your FireOffset.
The offset I gave above would make projectiles come out like this (DAmmo2 with 0.1 scale):
The big problem here is that the firstperson view is so small that shooting projectiles appear as if they came out of your face, though they will hit near your crosshair/centerscreen which helps a bit with some of the weapons.
Last edited by Bleeder91[NL] on Sun May 05, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “UScript Board”