For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Alternative way to create a shrinking zone

The section related to UnrealScript and modding. This board is for coders to discuss and exchange experiences or ask questions.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Alternative way to create a shrinking zone

Post by gopostal »

In this mod I'm working on I create a collapsing zone to force the players to come together. The game selects a random playerstart to be the zone center. It then finds the most distant playerstart from itself and converts that distance to drawscale and spawns a sphere that encompasses all of the play area. This sphere begins to slowly shrink and to go outside of it hurts you.

I cannot get the zone to work visually no matter what I try. It works just fine if you are facing the zone center but as soon as the center moves out of your line of sight (even behind BSP) it flickers off. I've rendered it in the HUD, forced replication, forced the location to the player via prepivot, everything. I just give up, I don't think it's possible. If it is then it's above my pay grade. I've thrown probably 30 hours at this problem.

My question to you guys is how could I simulate this another way. Would it create a ton of overhead to spawn a spherical web net of actors that shrink inwards to display the zone edge? How else can I portray to the players where the zone edge would be?

This is an early version but you'll get the idea:

Think of a winding DM map and that this zone will work it's way through the rooms of that map so it's going to need somewhat of an eloquent solution.

Please help...I have SO much work in this mod and without this effect it's nothing new.

Update: effect is fixed thanks to FeraliDragon. I didn't think it was possible but he found a really good solution. After the contest either he or I will be making a full write-up on how it works because it's incredibly useful to bypass the flickering meshes problem when you can't see the origin.
Last edited by gopostal on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day

Return to “UScript Board”