For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

"Start Room", is this possible?

The section related to UnrealScript and modding. This board is for coders to discuss and exchange experiences or ask questions.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

"Start Room", is this possible?

Post by gopostal »

In the game I'm using as a guide for my current project the dynamic is that you start on "Spawn Island" where there is a countdown of a minute or so and then everyone is placed into the cargo plane to ride over the island. You then pick a spot and parachute out.

I can't really do any of that because the majority of the DM maps won't have nearly enough room. However I am intrigued by the idea of some sort of ready room. Is it possible to create something at runtime that might work? I don't think it is, I've never seen this done that wasn't already in a map. I thought I'd ask though on the off chance that someone might have messed around with this idea before.

To be clear I'm asking if it is possible to insert a 1024 cube room into the mod code that is created at runtime. Normally I'd not ask such a weird thing but knowing you guys someone has already tried.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
Feralidragon
OldUnreal Member

Re: "Start Room", is this possible?

Post by Feralidragon »

I am intending to do something similar for a weapon-ish mod I am planning to do in the future for both Unreal and UT99, since it benefits from one.
After a bit of time considering the best way to do it, the conclusion I reached was that the best way to do that is with a completely separate map.

In other words, you can create a specific map just for that, and then the transition would go like this:
Staging map (waiting) -> Playing map (playing) -> Staging map (waiting) -> ...

So after the match was finished, you could change the map to that specific one, then from there you can change the map to the one to play and start the match.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

I tried to find where I had read it but I remember seeing someone testing a single server being able to host multiple instances and I thought maybe someone had tried dynamically loading two levels and switching players between them. I can't remember if that was dots or wormbo (my apologies to both).

If I had more mapping skill I'd just make a series of 15-20 maps and use a consistent spawn island across the series and just hard code everything. That's just a lot more work than I want to put into this and also my mapping skills are not at all on that level.

I am pretty intrigued on the idea of a between map though.
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by BobIsUnreal »

I tried to find where I had read it but I remember seeing someone testing a single server being able to host multiple instances
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1286137891

Feralidragon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Feralidragon »

Why though?

You don't need to host multiple server instances, and you don't need to create multiple maps either.
Like I mentioned, you can, very simply, have a single map as the waiting room/island, and then change the map (server-side) to the playing map, and once the match ends, change back to the waiting room.

Of course, you could also have a dedicated server only for the waiting room, as the server being broadcasted to the master server, acting as a hub, and then send players to the actual playing server(s) as they queue up in the staging area, and while this sounds cool, for the time being it seems that would be complicating something which can be done in a far simpler manner.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

I added this to my "come back around to it" list. I really need a couple of people to play the beta version when it's done to tell me if this is a needed thing or if I'm overthinking as I am prone to doing. I'd like to have it but my guess is that the rounds will happen so fast that it has the potential to just bog everything down. I still really like the idea though and I'd love to do it since it's not been done in this method before.

Return to “UScript Board”