For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Is it possible to run Commandlets without ucc.exe?

The section related to UnrealScript and modding. This board is for coders to discuss and exchange experiences or ask questions.
Leon0628

Is it possible to run Commandlets without ucc.exe?

Post by Leon0628 »

Hey, I'm modding for the game Star Wars Republic Commando from 2005 which runs on a modified version of the Unreal Engine 2.

My problem is that I want to create a subclass of a class that extends Object but the thing with this editor is that if I create a new class in the actor browser it says that there is no script to edit. However, there is a workaround: I simply place an object of the class I want to extend in the map and click "Class->New from selection" but obviously this only works for subclasses of Actor.

So I had the idea to create the script externally as a uc file and then compile it into a package. The problem is though, that this game shipped without the ucc.exe. So is there another way to execute the make Commandlet?
han
Global Moderator

Re: Is it possible to run Commandlets without ucc.exe?

Post by han »

I have another idea, if there is no script, why not add script?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U ... gine_games
You could start off trying to use the script for the Core out of some game using a (similar or same) Engine build. Maybe use UE Explorer to fine tune it, etc.

Place the core script in the usual locations.
Create a new ImportCoreScript.exec file in your system dir with following content:

Code: Select all

NEW Editor.ClassFactoryUC PACKAGE=Core Name=Object File="..\Core\Classes\Object.uc"
NEW Editor.ClassFactoryUC PACKAGE=Core Name=Subsystem File="..\Core\Classes\Subsystem.uc"
NEW Editor.ClassFactoryUC PACKAGE=Core Name=Commandlet File="..\Core\Classes\Commandlet.uc"
NEW Editor.ClassFactoryUC PACKAGE=Core Name=Time File="..\Core\Classes\Time.uc"
NEW Editor.ClassFactoryUC PACKAGE=Core Name=Locale File="..\Core\Classes\Locale.uc"
Afterwards exec this file out of the editor log window:

exec ImportCoreScript.exec
Maybe this shuts up the script is missing warning if you just want an Object subclass.
HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

This works in 227j, and presumably UT. Your mileage may vary.

class ctest extends actor;

function PostBeginPlay()
{
local Commandlet c;
local class c_class;

c_class = Class(DynamicLoadObject("Editor.MakeCommandlet",class'Class'));

c = New(Outer) c_class;
c.main("make");

}
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

The game that Leon is modding for is the only game running on that specific modified version of the engine, if I recall. But maybe I'm wrong, if I am it will make things easier :P
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
Leon0628

Post by Leon0628 »

Hey, thanks a lot for your fast answers :)

@han
THANK YOU!!! that does exactly what I want. It creates new editable scripts

@[]KAOS[]Casey
I once tried a similar approach. Do I simply have to place this actor in a map and play it? Because that just crashes the game without creating a package :/
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

you have to place it or spawn it otherwise

I figured it might not work, but it was worth a try
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by BobIsUnreal »

so , if you were both clever and retarted, you could in theory... build a unreal package that re compiles itself
(using writelogfile etc to create the code?) and this code to recompile itself into another new package, and morphs every time its executed? WTF
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Isn't that a really basic theory of how Deep Mind works? I think you guys just laid the groundwork for a version of UGoogle.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day

Return to “UScript Board”