For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Weather types scripts

The section related to UnrealScript and modding. This board is for coders to discuss and exchange experiences or ask questions.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Weather types scripts

Post by luke11685 »

Maybe Unreal Tech Demo 1995 was never finished,but at least we have finished build Unreal Engine 1(1998 build). How to make weather types such as sunny day,stormy clouds,night,falling rain,windy cloudy day & night cycles,snow falling...etc.? Did IdTech 1 share game engine had any in common similarity towards Unreal 1995 Tech Demo guys?
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: Weather types scripts

Post by Hellkeeper »

luke11685 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:41 pm How to make weather types such as sunny day,stormy clouds,night,falling rain,windy cloudy day & night cycles,snow falling...etc.?
Lighting and Weather effects.
luke11685 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:41 pm Did IdTech 1 share game engine had any in common similarity towards Unreal 1995 Tech Demo guys?
No.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Hellkeeper wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:20 pm
luke11685 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:41 pm How to make weather types such as sunny day,stormy clouds,night,falling rain,windy cloudy day & night cycles,snow falling...etc.?
Lighting and Weather effects.
luke11685 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:41 pm Did IdTech 1 share game engine had any in common similarity towards Unreal 1995 Tech Demo guys?
No.
I guess both were slightly different game engines.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

I guess both had nothing in common.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Hellkeeper wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:20 am I guess both had nothing in common.
I guess both were just in past(in case of Epic Games maybe that's what their initially originally planned intention)to compete with other. As rival game engines. More like inspirations.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Quake and Unreal indeed were set to compete egainst each other especially during 1996. There were even some instances where one team stole/copied stuff from each other or by hearsay. In 1996 this got reflected when Tim tried to recreate the quake water algorythm and funnily named the effect "StolenQuakeWater". Lol. But this 1995 version doesn't really have anything in common except that a very early alpha of quake was supposed to also have you shoot fireballs just like this tech demo of Unreal. And some indidental creature design but that's where the similarities end. They didn't have actual code shared just that during 1996 some of the quake level design style was kind of carried over, without the gameplay being similar to Quake that much though. But then by 1997 halfway to the year they started to kind of carry over the quake gameplay style too (still present even in the released game). So there. It was a continuous battle/effort and I think you might have heard that in 1997 id software stole the idea for "bald guy and ponytailed woman" as main two characters, prompting epic to create new ones in the process upon quake 2's release.

Many people found it stupid or nonsensical, however it is true that Unreal had the models and early skins for those two characters ready already by start of 1997 (we don't have those very first versions apart from a screenshot of the original female 1 face). And of course they weren't called male1 and female1 back then but simply male and female, because until quake 2 stole the idea and was showcased with it, they didn't think of creating more player models. Its funny how things like that can lead into more content creation.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:04 pm Quake and Unreal indeed were set to compete egainst each other especially during 1996. There were even some instances where one team stole/copied stuff from each other or by hearsay. In 1996 this got reflected when Tim tried to recreate the quake water algorythm and funnily named the effect "StolenQuakeWater". Lol. But this 1995 version doesn't really have anything in common except that a very early alpha of quake was supposed to also have you shoot fireballs just like this tech demo of Unreal. And some indidental creature design but that's where the similarities end. They didn't have actual code shared just that during 1996 some of the quake level design style was kind of carried over, without the gameplay being similar to Quake that much though. But then by 1997 halfway to the year they started to kind of carry over the quake gameplay style too (still present even in the released game). So there. It was a continuous battle/effort and I think you might have heard that in 1997 id software stole the idea for "bald guy and ponytailed woman" as main two characters, prompting epic to create new ones in the process upon quake 2's release.

Many people found it stupid or nonsensical, however it is true that Unreal had the models and early skins for those two characters ready already by start of 1997 (we don't have those very first versions apart from a screenshot of the original female 1 face). And of course they weren't called male1 and female1 back then but simply male and female, because until quake 2 stole the idea and was showcased with it, they didn't think of creating more player models. Its funny how things like that can lead into more content creation.
Do you think changes could be made possitive ones and Unreal fans could anytime unofficially as open source fanmade game engine project finish Unreal 1995 tech demo even if publically, officially it was never finished, never released? No matter how many years later have passed?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

There was a guy who reverse engineered the 1995 stuff and published everything, many years ago, however he was nearly sued or something, not from Epic, but I don't know how true it all was. If it was true then Digital Extremes was the party persuading that strtangely enough. However his work has led to some good stuff I believe even yrex took notes from his research.

Making a full game out of reverse engineering the UE 95 engine is only looking for trouble though. There will be less chance of a lawsuit if the leaked source code is being worked on in effort to fix things etc, than doing this reverse engineering stuff. No kidding. Nobody was legally persuated for the leaks or modification of source code for fixes. But for that other stuff yes obviously.

This is why I find it not such a problem if someone would have written stuff like an audio driver for the UC2 PC leak (with the provision that the source csounds would be put into uax files so it would skip the xbox audio stuff), but I was swiftly ridiculed by delacroix who also claimed it would be riscy and that he has spoken to someone who writes actual C++ code. Well, I don't write it because it requires all kind of bloat for it to compile, but I can still read C++ code and understand what is going in general. Some less, some more, it depends. I am not a 100 percent expert but I do understand the topic, but I am not "just" understanding the concepts like he wanted to spin it out.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:34 am There was a guy who reverse engineered the 1995 stuff and published everything, many years ago, however he was nearly sued or something, not from Epic, but I don't know how true it all was. If it was true then Digital Extremes was the party persuading that strtangely enough. However his work has led to some good stuff I believe even yrex took notes from his research.

Making a full game out of reverse engineering the UE 95 engine is only looking for trouble though. There will be less chance of a lawsuit if the leaked source code is being worked on in effort to fix things etc, than doing this reverse engineering stuff. No kidding. Nobody was legally persuated for the leaks or modification of source code for fixes. But for that other stuff yes obviously.

This is why I find it not such a problem if someone would have written stuff like an audio driver for the UC2 PC leak (with the provision that the source csounds would be put into uax files so it would skip the xbox audio stuff), but I was swiftly ridiculed by delacroix who also claimed it would be riscy and that he has spoken to someone who writes actual C++ code. Well, I don't write it because it requires all kind of bloat for it to compile, but I can still read C++ code and understand what is going in general. Some less, some more, it depends. I am not a 100 percent expert but I do understand the topic, but I am not "just" understanding the concepts like he wanted to spin it out.
So should I stop thinking and talking about? Because it's copyright infridgement DMCA and NDA violations?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Nobody's asking you to stop thinking, in fact I think you should do some more thinking on your own....
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:48 am Nobody's asking you to stop thinking, in fact I think you should do some more thinking on your own....
Oh okay?

Return to “UScript Board”