For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Need help with conversion brushes to static mesh

Questions and tools for modelling.
SkaarjRPG
OldUnreal Member

Need help with conversion brushes to static mesh

Post by SkaarjRPG »

Is it possible to convert UnrealED subtractive(?) brushes to static mesh, don't know how to explain so I've made a screnshot:

If I select both brushes it just converts to static mesh but the yellow section is not "cut out". Is that even possible
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: Need help with conversion brushes to static mesh

Post by Hellkeeper »

Subtracts cannot be turned into static-meshes, a static-mesh can only be solid.

You can make the whole assembly solid by intersecting the construct and converting the intersected brush into a static-mesh. Beware though, the brush will probably have weird cuts. Since lighting on static-meshes is based on the vertices, it might be hard or impossible to have correct lighting. In your case, however, this will probably not be too problematic, as you geometry is simple.
You must construct additional pylons.
SkaarjRPG
OldUnreal Member

Post by SkaarjRPG »

Subtracts cannot be turned into static-meshes, a static-mesh can only be solid.

You can make the whole assembly solid by intersecting the construct and converting the intersected brush into a static-mesh. Beware though, the brush will probably have weird cuts. Since lighting on static-meshes is based on the vertices, it might be hard or impossible to have correct lighting. In your case, however, this will probably not be too problematic, as you geometry is simple.

Don't know if I am doing it wrong as I no clue, it doesnt matter if it's gonna be solid or problems with lighting, I just need the yellow sections cut out and all piece converted to static mesh. Tried reading a bit on the wiki and what you said, but it still converts to mesh without holes
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Make the red brush large enough to contain your whole assembly and position it so it contains the brushes completely. Then use the Intersect button [img]http://hellkeeper.net/images/UEDInterface/ModeIntersect.jpg[/img], the red brush will take the shape of your whole assembly, with cut-outs and all as a single brush.

Then convert the resulting brush (either the red brush itself, or add the red brush and convert the created brush) to static-mesh.

As you can see, the second brush is all-blue, with the cut-out included. That's the one you want to convert. Any subtractive brush (yellow) will be turned inside out by the conversion.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

This does work Skaarj. I've been doing a bunch of conversions for my coop server by converting to static mesh and editing with blender.

If you want I can meet up and walk you through doing one.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
SkaarjRPG
OldUnreal Member

Post by SkaarjRPG »

It did work guys ! Just not in empty space (?) I just moved what I need a bit so no other brushes were in the way and made it as Hellkeeper said.
I have very limited knowledge with UnrealED, and I needed meshes for remake.
Thank you !

Last edited by SkaarjRPG on Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

It did work guys ! Just not in empty space
Because the "void" in UnrealEd it actually not empty but solid matter.
The Intersect operation makes the active red brush conform to everything solid inside the brush (while the Deintersect conforms the brush to all empty space). So by doing Intersect into empty space, you were conforming the red brush to nothing.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

This ^ guy editors.

The subtractive nature of ed is not discussed enough. I think if new people understood the concept that the void isn't a void at all it would make everything easier to grasp. Great explanation.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

By default a new map in Ued will produce a solid void, but you can also create an open void I think by selecting the option under new "New Additive".
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard

Return to “Modelling”