For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

.t3d files import in blender

Questions and tools for modelling.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

.t3d files import in blender

Post by luke11685 »

Is there any plugin for Blender to import .t3d map files from Unreal Editor 1?I can't find it in google so I'm asking you.
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Re: .t3d files import in blender

Post by Krull0r »

Actually there’s is no tool for importing .t3d into blender. But you can simply convert all brushes you like to edit in blender to a static mesh, export it as .obj and import the .obj into blender :)

I use this method a lot for editing terrains or creating uv unwrapped BSP.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Thanks.So how to convert these brushes?Is it at least possible to open .unr map files in Blender?I mean import.
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Post by Krull0r »

You can't import maps into blender.

Select all brushes or the brushes you like to convert to static mesh, rightlick on your selected bruches and convert -> to Static Mesh
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

I have toyed with the idea of a t3d importer/exporter for Blender but the way texture coordinates are handeled is so drastically different from what Blender uses that it would only be a one way process without triangulating all the surfaces. And if you would accept having to use only triangles you might as well just convert to and from static-meshes. Other than for terrain I don't really recommend using Blender for making BSP anyway.
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

Other than for terrain I don't really recommend using Blender for making BSP anyway.
Some world geometry can't be made without a 3d modeling tool, that goes for more than just terrain, including when it's necessary to use such a tool to apply some specific UV mapping to a brush.

@Luke

If you can, try to use UnrealEd 2.1 which comes with 227i (so far the latest public release) for Unreal Gold, and as Krullor said convert the selected brushes to static mesh (.obj models) by using Convert > To Static Mesh from the right mouse click dialogue menu while hovering the mouse over the wireframe representation of the brush.

After you have converted it into a static mesh into mylevel (sometimes used as a temporary package or a buffer package which Unreal understands as something to save into the level file itself every time you save the map), you then have the opportunity to export it to an .obj static mesh somewhere on your hard drive (Blender is able to import .obj files) from the File menu in the mesh browser.

After you have imported the .obj file into blender and made your desired adjustments (before you turn the mesh back into a brush, the .obj model MUST be a mesh volume [in other words it must be a sealed and continuous exterior mesh surface with no holes, which will automatically represent as a mesh volume, and have correct collisions on which parts you intend to be 'solid' when converted back into .t3d]), now you must export your model from Blender into a format called .ase with the ASCII scene exporter plugin (the download can be found below).

After exporting your brush model to an .ase file, you can then convert it back into a .t3d brush model using this tool: ASEtoT3D

Also sorry for not replying to your threads/posts earlier, I've felt somewhat drained lately.

ASCII Scene exporter plugin:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8zoy9vus9ry3 ... 1.zip?dl=0
Last edited by Kajgue on Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

Little tip for checking if your mesh contains any holes: While in edit mode make sure noting is selected (press A twice) and then press CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+M. Blender now selects all parts of the mesh that arent continuous. Fix those and keep repeating this until everything stays unselected.
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Thanks for help,but how can I convert .unr map files to .ase files and then to .t3d?Before I use this asettot3d application.Btw does someone got ascii importer for Blender 2.79?
Last edited by luke11685 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Actually there’s is no tool for importing .t3d into blender. But you can simply convert all brushes you like to edit in blender to a static mesh, export it as .obj and import the .obj into blender :)

I use this method a lot for editing terrains or creating uv unwrapped BSP.
Do you know how to convert these brushes?Should I do this in Unreal Editor 1,2 or Unreal Tournament 4 Editor?How can I convert t3d map file to .ase with this converting tool that I can download on this forum in Downloads section?Can I use UT4XConverter instead?There's only one problem with this tool it keeps loading 10% for too long over 4 minutes.Could it be some sort of bug?
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

Hey Luke,

Yeah, to convert brushes to static meshes, select all of the brushes you want to carry over to Blender from wireframe mode of any of the level viewports from within UnrealEd 2.1, then right click on one of your selected brushes (make sure all of the brushes you want to convert are selected) and then scroll down to 'Convert' > and then choose 'To Static mesh', from which a 'convert to static mesh dialogue' should appear. Make sure to enter 'Mylevel' as the package name if you just want to have the mesh on a temporary basis, name it and then drag the detail scale below to '1' (drag that horizontal marker left until it's as far left as possible).

After converting it to a static mesh in the dummy per level package called 'Mylevel', open the mesh viewer from the editor, select the mylevel package from the dropdown dialogue, then look for your model on the dropdown dialogue below the package dialogue and make sure it's selected, (but the one you just converted to a static mesh should be the only one if you have never done it before). After selecting your model from within the mesh viewer (if it's selected then the static mesh you converted from a brush should appear in the meshviewers viewport), then click on File in the meshviewer window, and then click on 'Export mesh frame (.obj)' and save that .obj model to a file somewhere on your harddrive.

After saving the .obj file somewhere on your harddrive, you can then import that .obj model into a .blend file, by going to File > Import > Wavefront (.obj) .

Krullor also has a tutorial on this topic (or more specifically how to export Unreal terrains/brushes to Blender after converting to .obj files to edit them from there). I'll link that tutorial here when i find it.

Edit:

Here is a link to that tutorial.

https://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1542836499
Last edited by Kajgue on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

thank you
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Kajgue wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:38 pm Hey Luke,

Yeah, to convert brushes to static meshes, select all of the brushes you want to carry over to Blender from wireframe mode of any of the level viewports from within UnrealEd 2.1, then right click on one of your selected brushes (make sure all of the brushes you want to convert are selected) and then scroll down to 'Convert' > and then choose 'To Static mesh', from which a 'convert to static mesh dialogue' should appear. Make sure to enter 'Mylevel' as the package name if you just want to have the mesh on a temporary basis, name it and then drag the detail scale below to '1' (drag that horizontal marker left until it's as far left as possible).

After converting it to a static mesh in the dummy per level package called 'Mylevel', open the mesh viewer from the editor, select the mylevel package from the dropdown dialogue, then look for your model on the dropdown dialogue below the package dialogue and make sure it's selected, (but the one you just converted to a static mesh should be the only one if you have never done it before). After selecting your model from within the mesh viewer (if it's selected then the static mesh you converted from a brush should appear in the meshviewers viewport), then click on File in the meshviewer window, and then click on 'Export mesh frame (.obj)' and save that .obj model to a file somewhere on your harddrive.

After saving the .obj file somewhere on your harddrive, you can then import that .obj model into a .blend file, by going to File > Import > Wavefront (.obj) .

Krullor also has a tutorial on this topic (or more specifically how to export Unreal terrains/brushes to Blender after converting to .obj files to edit them from there). I'll link that tutorial here when i find it.

Edit:

Here is a link to that tutorial.

https://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 ... 1542836499
In case of Unreal Tournament or Unreal 2 The Awakening? It's quite confusing because ZZT(for Tim Sweeney for him ZZT was Unreal Engine 0 according to one of his Twitter accounts)in circa Anno Domini of year of 1995 in past we had tech demo unfinished prototype early build of Unreal Engine 1 aka Unreal Engine 0.83 according to user Leo T.C.K. I was thinking more about cancelled Jazz Jackrabbit 2 /Holiday Hare '98(Christmas Chronicles)/The Secret Files sequel Jazz Jackrabbit 3 The Adventures of Mean Green Hare made by Dean Dodrill(creator of Dust An Elysian Tail,Never Stop Sneakin'). Should I port this JJ3D tech demo to UE2 from UE1998(final build)?
Even if Blender have no or can't support .t3d it's not working somehow.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

It looks like I forgot to show you a proof that this plugin is at least visible working partially as import only. It looks I cannot edit previous comment.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

It looks like I forgot to show you a proof that this plugin is at least visible working partially as import only. It looks I cannot edit previous comment.
.Ase Blender plugin is not working.
Isn't my one finished,but untextured yet map way too small? From 2D transition into 3D.
How would you recreate this level map from Jazz Jackrabbit 2 The Secret Files from circa Anno domini of year of 1999 into 3D if you could be people such as just like me? Any another helpful tip,advice? Guys? I'll be very thankful,happy and pleased.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

It seems everything went to normal after installing manually some patches.
By the way how to make invisible transparent glass-like textures in which Jazz won't fell into bottomless dark pit?
I swear(I'm not lying) it's miracle(maybe impossible to you),but I was able to download & install even .t3d plugin for Blender newer the latest current recent(not so daily)versions.

Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

luke11685 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:36 pm It looks like I forgot to show you a proof that this plugin is at least visible working partially as import only. It looks I cannot edit previous comment.
Isn't my one finished,but untextured yet map way too small? From 2D transition into 3D.
How would you recreate this level map from Jazz Jackrabbit 2 The Secret Files from circa Anno domini of year of 1999 into 3D if you could be people such as just like me? Any another helpful tip,advice? Guys? I'll be very thankful,happy and pleased.
Hi Luke, your brush model is missing a material, which is why it's giving you that error.

Like you've been told before, I don't think anybody on this forum has any experience with Jazz3d ...
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Kajgue wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:54 pm
luke11685 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:36 pm It looks like I forgot to show you a proof that this plugin is at least visible working partially as import only. It looks I cannot edit previous comment.
Hi Luke, your brush model is missing a material, which is why it's giving you that error.

Like you've been told before, I don't think anybody on this forum has any experience with Jazz3d ...
I guess you might be right. I guess I'm afraid I will have to figure out this myself. It was cancelled PC game after all.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

How unfortunate it's just only import not including export.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

That's correct, i don't know if there's a plugin to import .t3d , but i doubt it.

Just to ask, you mentioned not being able to edit your post, on your forum view does this button show up?

If it's broken and not showing up I'll report the issue to Smirf, probably an a problem with the forum migration if so.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Kajgue wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:20 pm That's correct, i don't know if there's a plugin to import .t3d , but i doubt it.

Just to ask, you mentioned not being able to edit your post, on your forum view does this button show up?

If it's broken and not showing up I'll report the issue to Smirf, probably an a problem with the forum migration if so.
Right now I cannot edit these posted comments anymore. It's only limited time period,temporarily.
I think if you want you can report that .ase import/export Blender plugin,.t3d import import/export Blender plugin,.a_3d & .d_3d import/export Blender plugin are not working properly.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Kajgue wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:54 pm

So in that where and who should I ask? Somewhere outside Old Unreal Forums?
medor
OldUnreal Member

Post by medor »

Some save files if that can help http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=&search=t3d+blender&search_mode=f

Return to “Modelling”