For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Struggling with trying to make a multiskin model...

Questions and tools for modelling.
スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

Struggling with trying to make a multiskin model...

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

Could anybody with experience with Blender or any modelling program take a look at this and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/458 ... imat.blend

I have 3 materials and 3 UV maps but Blender only seems to want to assign one UV map to the whole model and not assign per face... Do I really need to split this thing into three objects? I hope I don't...

I also can't unwrap this model without it looking extremely ugly with insane angles all the time. This is all giving me a massive headache and I might just abandon this idea altogether if I can't make any progress further past this point.
“I am the dragon without a name.”
Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñïght.: / κυνικός Δράκων / スマイル・ドラゴン / Draco Nihil
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Re: Struggling with trying to make a multiskin model...

Post by Krull0r »

Hey There.

I opened your model in Blender. Only the bottom part of your model is unwrapped.

I imported it as .obj file in Unreal 227 (static Mesh). The bottom part is still correct but if I set different skins to the other parts the skins are infinite down scaled .

After unwrapping all faces of your tank all skin parts are displayed correctly.

If you want to import this model as .3ds and generate .a_3d and .d_3d files you have to load it in to "wings3d" and export it again as .3ds.

This fixed for me the issue with the infinite down scaled skins.

スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

Re: Struggling with trying to make a multiskin model...

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

Actually, I have all parts of that model unwrapped, there's 3 UV map objects in Blender but it will only allow me to use one at a time.

I don't know how to get Blender to use more than one UV map on a object. If this is impossible then I guess I need to approach this problem differently.

I also when editing UV coords in Blender I snap them to a 128x128 image, is this what Unreal's 3D format has for a limitation? Because if I don't snap UV coords I get strange results importing...
“I am the dragon without a name.”
Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñïght.: / κυνικός Δράκων / スマイル・ドラゴン / Draco Nihil

Return to “Modelling”