For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Anyone who has Usaar33's convertion tutorial?

Questions and tools for modelling.
pattetheswede

Anyone who has Usaar33's convertion tutorial?

Post by pattetheswede »

Hi, I'm the new guy, or, new again, I should say.

I'm looking for Usaar33's tutorial on how to convert q/q2/h-l models to ut99.

Does anyone know where I can download it?

And, for the record:
Yes, I am the swede that converted Dr Freakenstein, Gibbed, Thor and many other models, back in the day.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Re: Anyone who has Usaar33's convertion tutorial?

Post by Victor Delacroix »

Found on Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Concerns Half-Life models.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gizzy
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gizzy »

Here's some stuff I wrote up about 10 years ago that might help for converting models from goldsrc games. Should still be mostly relevant

This is a tutorial on how to convert any model from the goldsrc engine ie. Half-Life, Day of Defeat etc to Unreal 1\Unreal Tournament
Games running on the Source engine will require a special program called MDLDecompiler (Which also requires that you have the SourceSDK installed)

This tutorial assumes you know how to set up and use ucc to compile packages for the game. This is out of the scope of this tutorial so if you don't know, there are plenty of tutorials around on the internet

You will need:
- Unreal patched to 227i
- FSMapTools
- gcfscape
- Registered copy of Milkshape 3D/3dsmax
I prefer to use Milkshape purely because it's quicker to navigate the ui and generally more "nnob friendly" than 3dsmax, but those proficient in the latter can use that with the actorx plugin and .smd import plugin.
  • Use gcfscape to open any goldsrc engine game file and export the .mdl files you want somewhere on your pc
  • Then use milkshape to decompile the .mdl file (in the tools menu) and select everything but the .qc option. Drop the decompiled .smd files into a directory somewhere on your pc (Eg: C:\SMDFiles)
Then run the following command in Unreal 227i's ucc.exe:
ucc.exe FSMapTools.ModTest <Path, like "C:\SMDFiles">
Eg: ucc.exe FSMapTools.ModTest C:\SMDFiles (Will output a list of fixed .smd files)
  • Import all the ref files into into your modelling program as a reference file, then export it as a .psk file.
  • Then open a new file in your modelling program and import a seq file as a sequence file and click no if it asks you to append (but only for the first file!). Note the anim frames and write out the appropriate mesh import sequence and then continue to import the rest of the sequences. Once all the seq files have been imported, you can export it as a psa (You may need to build the psa file manually if using 3ds max. Read up on ActorX tutorials if you're using 3dsmax)
  • Then write up the rest of the import sequences like sounds and textures, set up ucc, compile your project and hopefully it should compile. Open Unreal and et voila, the models will be there.
  • You might need to mess with the texture meshmap import lines to get the textures in order but I usually set the textures in the mesh browser, remember the skin settings and fix the .uc file accordingly.
pattetheswede

Post by pattetheswede »

Thanks alot, both of you!

/me goes back to finding models to convert :)

Return to “Modelling”