For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

SDL2Drv & SDL2Launch

for Unreal & UnrealTournament
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Re: SDL2Drv & SDL2Launch

Post by GreatEmerald »

Hmm, maybe you should ask on the libsdl forums or so, then. I'm sure there ought to be a way to do all that; after all, a lot of engines do exactly that (Unity and UE4 being prime examples).

By the way, see this post by Martin Gräßlin, which explains just how terrible traditional mode switching is, especially for KDE: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec ... 00003.html This was a comment on Sam Lantinga's original proposal; he dropped it later on and implemented SDL_WINDOW_FULLSCREEN_DESKTOP instead.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

I spent some time this morning to work this out. I found a corresponding function (SDL_RenderGetLogicalSize) which would be the answer for one of the problems. Nevertheless it wouldn't work, because as assumed already, the scaling won't work due to being no SDL_CreateRenderer is being used but "manually" OpenGL. It looks like this would be to much of a hassle right now to modify the old OpenGL renderer to work like that. If I ever can finish my OpenGL3 renderer its an option though.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

So, any progress on the other issues? Especially the issue with SSR crashing? Or should I just give up on finishing my LP of RTNP for now and go start Unreal II instead?
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

lol, no need to give up on anything, just didn't find the time yet for checking that.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

All right, good to know. I need to start a new LP series on the 1st, so I guess if it doesn't work out until then I'll just start something else entirely, so as not to mess up the timeline.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

I'll give it some priority
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

ok, made some tests with it, the error message was absolutely not helpful, so I started it with UnrealLinux.bin -log to get more information, with that additional parameter it started up fine
./UnrealLinux.bin -log

Creating root window: UMenu.UMenuRootWindow
1161.5ms Loading: Package UWindowFonts
[SSR-GLInject] Warning: glXSwapBuffers called without existing frame grabber, creating one assuming window == drawable.
[SSR-GLInject] [GLXFrameGrabber 1] Created GLX frame grabber.
[SSR-GLInject] [/dev/shm/ssr-channel-smir/video-2207821110-23753-glx0001-UnrealLinux.bin] Created video stream.
[SSR-GLInject] OpenGL version = 3.0 (3.0 Mesa 9.2.5).
[SSR-GLInject] [/dev/shm/ssr-channel-smir/video-2207821110-23753-glx0001-UnrealLinux.bin] frame size = 800x600.
OpenAL: playing flyby Flightcastle (Impulse Tracker 2.14v3 IT 1.00)
appRequestExit(0) Closing by request: QUIT
No localization: SDLLaunch.General.Exit (int)
strange enough, it seems to work without any trouble and always if starting like that. Could you try it?
shoober420
OldUnreal Member

Post by shoober420 »

It was very wise to go with SDL2, since like you said, its cross platform. NVIDIA has recently released drivers that support Wayland, which is a big step for everyone migrating to Wayland. X.Org is so old and has many security vulnerabilities, that Wayland is the future for the Linux desktop. SDL2 now defaults to Wayland, so its a great decision to stick with SDL2.

By the way, what is the state of Unreal using SDL2?
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

its quite annoying right now, I am having a couple of problems with screen resize and handling currently. But in the last weeks I was fully busy with windows builds and xopengl (which is working in SDL2 too), so things may have changed already in between.
REA
OldUnreal Member

Post by REA »

What's the current status of the project? How can I test it on Linux with UT and Unreal? There is also a SDL Compatibility Library that translates SDL 1.2 into SDL 2.0, however as UT uses SDL1.1, it doesn't function with UT.

https://github.com/MrAlert/sdlcl
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

It's pretty stable and almost fully functional aside some minor glitches and it's integrated in the latest Unreal 227j build, which is available only internally so far for the betatesting.

I have no direct plans at the moment to build it into UT, since it's codebase is ancient and only updating the Linux build for SDL2 doesn't make much sense- or rather- I lack the time to right now.

Return to “Linux-Board”