For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Doubt this is possible, but...

for Unreal & UnrealTournament
dustinechoes849
OldUnreal Member

Doubt this is possible, but...

Post by dustinechoes849 »

Sorry if I posted this in a weird area
Is there some way to get Unreal running on a Dell Chromebook?
I'm stuck with them at school, and it'd be cool to get Unreal off a USB stick on one.
Pretty sure the Chrome OS is some sorta Linix distro.

Thanks! [noparse]^^[/noparse]
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Re: Doubt this is possible, but...

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

google.com chromebook $YOUR_MODEL_NUMBER_HERE install linux
dustinechoes849
OldUnreal Member

google.com chromebook $YOUR_MODEL_NUMBER_HERE install linux
Don't think the school would be happy with me installing Linux on their laptops though. :D

EDIT: I mean, I would be happy with it. Linux>ChromeOS anyday.
I doubt the school would like dat doe
Last edited by dustinechoes849 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

I doubt that they would like you playing Unreal on the school equipment, almost as much as they would not like you to install a full Linux.
ChromeOS records and reports everything, so if the IT department are doing their job properly they will see everything you do on it.

Chrome OS is a cut-down Linux, designed as a web-box, not a full PC.
You would need to add the missing parts of Linux or replace the OS.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873561/google-just-made-it-easier-to-run-linux-on-your-chromebook.html
The more limited Android OS has the advantage that people have made distros that add the missing files (BusyBox), or add a whole Linux prepared for Android (Lil’ Debi, Debian Kit)

Your option is to choose a Linux distro you like and boot it from USB.
The various flavours of Mint Linux are very suitable for Windows users to try as they are very complete. The out-of-the-box experience from the USB boot is very functional.

However at the point you have a fully functional Linux, you may be better to emulate the Windows version.
dustinechoes849
OldUnreal Member

I doubt that they would like you playing Unreal on the school equipment, almost as much as they would not like you to install a full Linux.
ChromeOS records and reports everything, so if the IT department are doing their job properly they will see everything you do on it.

Chrome OS is a cut-down Linux, designed as a web-box, not a full PC.
You would need to add the missing parts of Linux or replace the OS.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873561/google-just-made-it-easier-to-run-linux-on-your-chromebook.html
The more limited Android OS has the advantage that people have made distros that add the missing files (BusyBox), or add a whole Linux prepared for Android (Lil’ Debi, Debian Kit)

Your option is to choose a Linux distro you like and boot it from USB.
The various flavours of Mint Linux are very suitable for Windows users to try as they are very complete. The out-of-the-box experience from the USB boot is very functional.

However at the point you have a fully functional Linux, you may be better to emulate the Windows version.
So, what you're saying is, that, I could boot Linux off a USB stick without having to put anything onto the computer? :-?
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

Unless you intend to mess with the installed OS, it is your only option.

Return to “Linux-Board”