For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

[SOLVED]Unreal 227i - can't start, missing Core.so (but the file IS in System)

for Unreal & UnrealTournament
Trydi
OldUnreal Member

[SOLVED]Unreal 227i - can't start, missing Core.so (but the file IS in System)

Post by Trydi »

Hi,

Long time no see :) My english becomes rusty, so forgive me if something is hard to read or understand  :-X

I've just installed Unreal and 227i with native Linux files. But there is small problem, game not starting, because:

Code: Select all

Unreal/System/UnrealLinux.bin: error while loading shared libraries: Core.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
But:

ls | grep Core
Core.dll
Core.int
--> Core.so
Last edited by Trydi on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unofficial Linux Installer for Unreal (227f): http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... 41027403/0.

Happy Linux User :-)
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: Unreal 227i - can't start, missing Core.so (but the file IS in System)

Post by Smirftsch »

really hard to say this way, sure you have 32bit libs installed? Also did you check the timestamps if all files have been updated correctly?
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Trydi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Trydi »

Well - my system is Fedora x64 and when I typed

linux32 ./UnrealLinux.bin
Game started and zero problems with missing Core.so. Now game starts even without typing linux32 (anybody using it today?). But there is a chance, that previous reboot solved my problem - i just don't know  ;)

I don't know what caused my problem, but after system reboot or started with linux32 - game running just fine  ::)

I should check this before creating new thread - sorry ::)
Last edited by Trydi on Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unofficial Linux Installer for Unreal (227f): http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... 41027403/0.

Happy Linux User :-)
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

good good :)
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
tne

Re: [SOLVED]Unreal 227i - can't start, missing Core.so (but the file IS in System)

Post by tne »

For your information, the reason was almost certainly that you didn't set the current working directory correctly: the game really expects it to be the System directory.

You can set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to $GAMEDIR/System and run the executable from anywhere, but then the process would crash for other reasons (starting with missing INI files) -- again because the game searches for all its files relative to the current working directory, and does not change it to that of the executable (which would be System) automatically. It probably should, but it doesn't.

TL;DR, bash shell:

(cd $GAMEDIR/System && ./UnrealLinux.bin)
Instead of:

$GAMEDIR/System/UnrealLinux.bin
TL;DR, freedesktop-compatible environment (GNOME, KDE, ...) .desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Unreal
Path=path/to/System
Exec=path/to/UnrealLinux.bin
Type=Application
Instead of:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Unreal
Exec=path/to/System/UnrealLinux.bin
Type=Application
It might give you a headache, so let me point this out already: It looks like the game copies argv[0] (the executable path) to a 32 bytes buffer somewhere, and most likely truncates it to 31 bytes for a cstring delimiter. When it uses it later, if the path is truncated (its length is more that 31 characters, if encoded in ASCII), it segfaults.

I have absolutely no expectation that this be fixed ever, but it's pretty confusing and difficult to track down.

Anyway, I recommend placing a link or symlink with a short name (say unreal) somewhere on your PATH, then you'll be good to go. Even better is a tiny wrapper script that changes the working directory before executing the game:

#!/usr/bin/env bash
cd path/to/System && exec ./UnrealLinux.bin
So then it becomes:

bash shell:

unreal
.desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Unreal
Exec=unreal
Type=Application
'Hope it helps the next guy.

By the way, I too use Fedora x86_64, and I confirm that you don't need to use setarch/linux32.
Last edited by tne on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Linux-Board”