For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Server Logs

for Unreal & UnrealTournament
RUSH
OldUnreal Member

Server Logs

Post by RUSH »

Can anyone tell me what program they are using to read servers logs. I have Windows and I am using notepad and its works perfectly when running Unreal on the windows platform.

Where I am having issues is I rent a few servers that are Linux based and when I try to read the log there are no breaks in the text and the font is double spaced.

I tried notepad ++ and it somewhat worked but it doesn't seem to work all the time.
RUSH
OldUnreal Member

Re: Server Logs

Post by RUSH »

A little more information to add. It's not just the log its also .ini files
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Linux servers don't handle line breaks like windows does and so the text ends up coming out as a block if you load a notepad doc into a linux server then pull it back off. A quick fix is to copy the block of text to Wordpad and that should fix the spacing back. Always save an original of anything you upload to the server as you can depend on the server to ruin the file as far as you being able to edit it again once it lives there for any length of time.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

The log is also in UTF-16, and hardly anything can read that. You'll just have to look around for a text editor that can. Some of the programs that seem to be doing it correctly are Geany and Firefox (read-only). KWrite can do it after you specifically tell it that it's UTF-16. LibreOffice Writer only works properly if you add a BOM first (Unreal logs don't have one). nano doesn't support it.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

the perl editor [url=http://padre.perlide.org/]padre[/url] is the best choice I found so far. Designed for Perl coding its a nice texteditor as well. Usually I prefer Notepad++, but this is not able to read UTF16 or 32.

PS: Welcome ;)
Last edited by Smirftsch on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

certain distros have a modified vi which works, but if that doesn't try vim.

3 second tutorial on vi/vim

type :i to edit, escape to cancel edit mode

:q to quit

:sq to save and quit

edit: obviously this is inside linux on an SSH shell. For windows uhh.... I don't know
Last edited by []KAOS[]Casey on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
RUSH
OldUnreal Member

Post by RUSH »

Ok, I didn't realize what I was getting into but I see I have a few choices here. I will play around and see what works best for me.

Thank you all for your help

Return to “Linux-Board”