For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

227 i Unreal 1 w/EDM small trouble

for Unreal & UnrealTournament
oZ_INF
OldUnreal Member

227 i Unreal 1 w/EDM small trouble

Post by oZ_INF »

Hello,

I was hoping to get some info on Linux 227 i servers, how are they? Do they run well? any bugs that I should know of?

I made an exact duplicate of my server in 227 i , edm inf, running in linux and same for windows.

Some maps will NOT run, for instance UT Weapons and such.

All the files are in place I made 200% sure of this, file for file every one is there.

for some maps it just says a3text cant find file in the log, even though its the SAME exact file same size and everything.
oZ_INF
OldUnreal Member

Re: 227 i Unreal 1 w/EDM small trouble

Post by oZ_INF »

Also, what are the pro's and con's of using Linux 227?
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

about your trouble- hard to say, I'm running 2 servers on Linux right now without any issues, I am also entirely sure that f.e. UT Weapons definitely work. Take care that Linux is a case sensitive OS, maybe that's causing it, although I made it searching files case insensitive for the most part, but maybe some path?

Advantages are maybe from administrative side, as well as server requirements. On Linux you can run a server entirely without graphical interface, f.e. over ssh. Commands to the server can be entered directly into console then. One of my testservers is currently running on a Pandaboard, which doesn't eat up 20W overall, try this on windows :)
General stability and performance equals pretty much the windows version, although it slightly acts a bit more bitchy in 227i yet if crappy compiled mods are used (such as UED massacre recompiled and recompiled mods with hundreds of circular dependencies).
However, I was able to improve performance and stability quite some for coming 227j release, so servers will do even better in Linux especially on low end machines.
Configurations however you have to do manually in ini as Linux is not having advanced options, that's maybe one of the biggest con's.
Other than that its nothing more than a personal choice, I prefer usually Linux in any case for server purposes due the advantages this OS is having in security questions.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
oZ_INF
OldUnreal Member

Post by oZ_INF »

ty

Return to “Linux-Board”