For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

UnrealLinux 227i crashing after upgrade from 227h

for Unreal & UnrealTournament
Post Reply
User avatar
usaar33
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:12 am

UnrealLinux 227i crashing after upgrade from 227h

Post by usaar33 »

I just updated to 227i, and now I can't run UnrealLinux.bin (or even ucclinux.bin).

Crashes very early:
Starting program: /opt/unreal/System/UnrealLinux.bin
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x0804dfc7 in FArray::Num() const ()


I performed the patch by running the installer in crossover, patching my 227h directory. (I install via wine and just play out of the directory directly in linux).

Running on ubuntu 12.10 64-bit
User avatar
Smirftsch
Administrator
Posts: 8836
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 1998 10:00 pm

Re: UnrealLinux 227i crashing after upgrade from 227h

Post by Smirftsch »

hello old friend ;)

Any luck getting some info when starting with -log parameter?
Also sound is often causing trouble, so a try with -nosound could reveal if that's the cause.

In the help directory there is a package called lin_convenience_libs.tar.bz2
which contains the dependency files, for fmod, openal and such.


Missing 32bit libs...but then 227h wouldn't run as well.
The ini settings...did you take over the old ini or did you use a fresh one? But I'm very sure you know what you are doing there :)

Other than that...hard to say yet...need more input.
This output doesn't ring any bell yet for me.

What are the system specs?
Last edited by Smirftsch on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
User avatar
usaar33
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:12 am

Re: UnrealLinux 227i crashing after upgrade from 227h

Post by usaar33 »

I see nothing with -log; instead segfault.
-nosound doesn't help.

All the .so are updated from the convenience libs.

I think most telling is that ucclinux.bin fails; something in the lowest-levels of the engine is not working right.

I'll email you the core dump.

It fails on two computers; both Intel CPUs and with NVIDIA cards.

User avatar
Smirftsch
Administrator
Posts: 8836
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 1998 10:00 pm

Re: UnrealLinux 227i crashing after upgrade from 227h

Post by Smirftsch »

thanks, will investigate.

Kinda weird that it fails on 2 computers for you, it runs for me and a few other Linux testers pretty flawlessly. Question is then- what is different for yours- except the distro maybe. Guess this will be a tough one.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
User avatar
usaar33
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:12 am

Re: UnrealLinux 227i crashing after upgrade from 227h

Post by usaar33 »

thanks, will investigate.

Kinda weird that it fails on 2 computers for you.
I did just copy the entire patched with 227i UnrealGold from one computer to another. So I accept I may have done something funky with the installing..


User avatar
Smirftsch
Administrator
Posts: 8836
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 1998 10:00 pm

Re: UnrealLinux 227i crashing after upgrade from 227h

Post by Smirftsch »

Would speak for my idea. Just responded to your mail. I think it could be some issue with the installer.

For anyone with the same problem: When using the installer without having a language selected (there is an empty field on top) it messes up the Language= setting in the UnrealLinux.ini , replacing it with something like Language=so. This is causing some trouble in Windows with the advanced preferences, but for Linux it is obviously fatal.

The fix is to change it to Language=int in section [Engine.Engine]
Last edited by Smirftsch on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Linux-Board”