For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

very bad reverb fmod

for Unreal & UnrealTournament
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

very bad reverb fmod

Post by Skywolf »

fmod seems to have some problems on my ubuntu laptop with reverb. it sounds like every sound gets played on top of each other making a very loud and annoying noise. is there something in the unreallinux.ini file i need to change? or is this a bug and do i have to disable reverb entirely?
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Re: very bad reverb fmod

Post by GreatEmerald »

Does it happen with OpenAL? What FMOD version are you using (the one in the convenience libs or distro-provided)?
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

There are a couple of things you can try. Sound on Laptops seems to be always a bit tricky.
Most promising is probably to use ProbeDevicesOnly and see what output devices are usable for your chosen DefaultDevice. Also you can try with different DefaultDevices, although ALSA should be best nowadays it is possible that OSS produces still better results on your system.

Yet you can try to use OpenAL or SWFmod too, both are having different ways for sound output and maybe don't suffer this problem as well.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

the problem with open al and swfmod is that unreal can't start with it. it always says that it could't load some package even when everything is installed. i am using the convenience libs in case that matters. i installed everything like i did before [url]http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1349366793[/url]
Last edited by Skywolf on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

No luck with the ProbeDevices or OSS?

But I see...
Well, from my experiences it may cause trouble if your are using some biarch system, in that case it might be that your system lacks some 32bit libs, which would explain why OpenAL and SWFMod is not working.
In case your system provides them, check for 32bpp libs version of openal-soft( libopenal.so.1.12.854 or maybe newer) for OpenAL and FModEx(44006 I think it was, or maybe newer) for SWFMod.

Last edited by Smirftsch on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
iLikeTheUDK
OldUnreal Member

Post by iLikeTheUDK »

Do you think you can get OpenAL to support at least EAX3 features, if not those from later versions of EAX AHD? It feels primitive sticking to features of the old version from almost 15 years ago.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

OpenAL actually uses EFX not EAX, but in short: no. Unfortunately CreativeLabs is not willing to give out these things for free (despite the fact that it wouldn't work in Linux, which EFX does).
Last edited by Smirftsch on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iLikeTheUDK
OldUnreal Member

Post by iLikeTheUDK »

But does EFX have features of EAX versions beyond 2?
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

It does sound like it could be an issue with missing libraries. What package does it say that it can't load, exactly?

EFX supports all EAX features as fas as I know, but only the proprietary version and not the open-source one (despite the name "OpenAL").
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

lol, the oldunreal habit to go offtopic strikes again XD

just installed windows xp on the laptop and it seems that this problem also occurs then. so its just the hardware in my laptop.

i still prefer ubuntu seeing the age of this laptop (unreal also runs better in ubuntu) so it would be nice if i could get it working.

the logs says that unreal failed to load the package for ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem or SwFMOD.SwFMOD (depends on which i try).
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

lol, yeah

Well that log only means that either the lib or one of its dependencies can't be loaded. So something is definitely missing there.
omer666
OldUnreal Member

Post by omer666 »

Just a quick reply to let you know that I have problems with fmod audio drivers and reverb too. OpenAL works flawlessly, though.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

hmm, it seems that it also occurs on my desktop pc. not sure but as far as i remember did it work fine on 227H. going to try it out.

EDIT: confirmed, fmod didn't have this problem in 227H. what i did was patching 227I by running the 227H patch.

EDIT2: tried the "ProbeDeviceOnly" option which didn't solve the issue. changing the FMODOutputs to something else didn't help either. i couldt find the ALSA thing on my Computer (which is running Windows 7) but i will try it on my Ubuntu laptop.
Last edited by Skywolf on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

windows doesn't have ALSA :)

you could try different settings for BufferSize maybe. That you have the same problems in Win and Lin is indeed a bit strange, the output system is as different as it can be.
But maybe its related to some fixes in functionality for reverb, it didn't always work as wanted, so maybe it didn't happen on your system because of this before.
If nothing helps only the option to disable reverb remains- but then again I am wondering if this happens in OpenAL in Windows too on your laptop?
Last edited by Smirftsch on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

OpenAL works fine on the laptop when running Windows XP.

edit: using OSS doesn't help.
Last edited by Skywolf on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Linux-Board”