For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Faster Response of Lighting on Meshes

To find and remove the bugs we needed every bug known in current 226. You can still review them here.
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Faster Response of Lighting on Meshes

Post by Shivaxi »

I hope its not to late to post about this :P

Anyway, i dunno if anyone else has ever noticed...but the imported UT weps...the lighting that is cast on them...is like so much better than any other meshes in the game...somehow the lighting is like real time on them.

I was wondering if we could make every mesh like monster and player meshes into the type of meshes that the UT weps use? :-?
Image  Image
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Re: Faster Response of Lighting on Meshes

Post by Turboman. »

I hope its not to late to post about this :P

Anyway, i dunno if anyone else has ever noticed...but the imported UT weps...the lighting that is cast on them...is like so much better than any other meshes in the game...somehow the lighting is like real time on them.

I was wondering if we could make every mesh like monster and player meshes into the type of meshes that the UT weps use? :-?

both games use the same method to trace shadows on meshes, unreal and ut use gouraud shading for shadowing effects on meshes.

what you're talking about is the infamous bug which "breaks" meshes when you export and import them with wotgreal/utpt.
basically the exporter splits verticles up depending on the smoothing groups and uvw map, while this does give a better effect ingame (sharper looking shadows), it has a DEVASTATING effect on performance as the polycount is tripled in amount (due to aggressive splits).

the consequence of applying this method is: a 300 poly weapon model could visibly look the same (except for the shadows) however its polycount would reach in the 1200's

besides i should mention the shadowing effects caused by exporting are HIGHLY undesired on round organic meshes, it does not recognise smoothing/uvw very well and will often break smoothing between organic surfaces, causing tears among the mesh (particulary noticable on models with agressive LODPARAMS STRENGTH).
Last edited by Turboman. on Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

anyway my idea is, would there be a way to fix the shading issues which currently occur with meshes?
meshes have highly inaccurate shadows in general, they seem to be dependant on player view rather then enviromental, example: move around a barrel and notice the shadows actually chase you rather then a logical lightsource nearby.

iirc someone tried to fix this issue for deus ex and ut (but hasn't succeeded yet)
http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/
Last edited by Turboman. on Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shivaxi »

wow...didnt know it was so complicated :P
Last edited by Shivaxi on Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image  Image

Return to “Report Bugs in Unreal 226 versions”