For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

breadthPathFrom : findPathToward Crash

To find and remove the bugs we needed every bug known in current 226. You can still review them here.
asgard12000
OldUnreal Member

breadthPathFrom : findPathToward Crash

Post by asgard12000 »

I recently got a bug report from Hyper regarding my spinner class where it had crashed during state hunting.

I went over the script and dont see any problems (well obvious ones). The spinners state hunting is more or less the same as scriptedpawns code anyway.

The spinner crashed while calling FindPathToward() .

I searched the forums here and found an identical crash from the gasbag during victory dance.

Are you able to shed any light on this smirtsch? as to what might be causing this?  I believe its an engine crash but why not all the time? Under what circumstances might it crash?

Both logs below

Cheers

Code: Select all

DevNet: Join request: :5555/Index.unr?Name=spraycan?Class=UnrealShare.MaleThree?Skin=Male3Sneaki.Sneaki?Team=255
JCoopZ: Team 255
JCoopZ: Login: spraycan
JCoopZ: Incoming Player named spraycan desired MaleThree and got jzMaleThree
Warning: Failed to load 'Male3Sneaki': Can't find file for package 'Male3Sneaki'
Warning: Failed to load 'Texture Male3Sneaki.Sneaki': Can't find file for package 'Male3Sneaki'
JCoopZ: Logging in to The Black Raven Inn
Log: Possessed PlayerPawn: jzMaleThree illhaven_3.jzMaleThree0
JCoopZ: All inventory from spraycan is accepted
JCoopZ: LOGIN COMPLETE: spraycan -- IP Address: 68.116.61.37
JCoopZ: PostLogin(): Score entry added: 0 spraycan
JCoopZ: Current Score Table contents:
JCoopZ:     0: spraycan
DevNet: Join succeeded: spraycan
Nephthys: 2007/04/09 16:55:15: In: 68.116.61.37:1058: spraycan  spraycan
JCoopZ: ** Player: spraycan -- LocalID: -693755057 -- PlayerUID: 1240637002
JCoopZ: Client corrections applied to: spraycan
Nephthys: 2007/04/09 16:55:25: Dropping invalid data from 68.142.232.33:27243
ScriptWarning: Krall illhaven_3.Krall0 (State UnrealShare.ScriptedPawn.Patroling:021F) TweenAnim: Sequence 'Waiting' not found in Mesh 'KrallM'
ScriptWarning: Krall illhaven_3.Krall0 (State UnrealShare.ScriptedPawn.Patroling:02BD) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Waiting' not found in Mesh 'KrallM'
ScriptWarning: Krall illhaven_3.Krall0 (State UnrealShare.ScriptedPawn.Patroling:02BD) PlayAnim: Sequence 'Waiting' not found in Mesh 'KrallM'
ScriptWarning: Krall illhaven_3.Krall0 (State UnrealShare.ScriptedPawn.Patroling:021F) TweenAnim: Sequence 'Waiting' not found in Mesh 'KrallM'
Critical: APawn::breadthPathFrom
Critical: APawn::findPathToward
Critical: AActor::ProcessState
Critical: Object maiden illhaven_3.maiden1, Old State State Spinner.Spinsp.Hunting, New State State Spinner.Spinsp.Hunting
Critical: AActor::Tick
Critical: TickAllActors
Critical: ULevel::Tick
Critical: (NetMode=1)
Critical: TickLevel
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: MainLoop
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: appExit
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 04/09/07 16:55:35

JCoopZ: ** Player: [)ANNY -- LocalID: 900349455 -- PlayerUID: 383290069 
JCoopZ: Client corrections applied to: [)ANNY 
ScriptWarning: lsaber Eldora.lsaber2 (Function Saber.lsaber.BecomePickup:0029) Accessed None 
ScriptWarning: lsaber Eldora.lsaber2 (Function Saber.lsaber.BecomePickup:0031) Attempt to assigned variable through None 
ScriptWarning: lsaber Eldora.lsaber2 (Function Saber.lsaber.BecomePickup:003A) Accessed None 
ScriptWarning: lsaber Eldora.lsaber2 (Function Saber.lsaber.BecomePickup:0042) Attempt to assigned variable through None 
Critical: APawn::breadthPathFrom 
Critical: APawn::findPathToward 
Critical: AActor:rocessState 
Critical: Object Gasbag Eldora.GasBag1, Old State State UnrealShare.ScriptedPawn.VictoryDance, New State State UnrealShare.ScriptedPawn.VictoryDance 
Critical: AActor::Tick 
Critical: TickAllActors 
Critical: ULevel::Tick 
Critical: (NetMode=2) 
Critical: TickLevel 
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick 
Critical: UpdateWorld 
Critical: MainLoop 
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError 
Exit: appExit 
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down 
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 04/13/07 06:15:23 

Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: breadthPathFrom : findPathToward Crash

Post by Smirftsch »

outgoing from these logs i can give no explanation for it either- i have some idea's, but can only tell if i can reproduce this error
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
BOZO
OldUnreal Member

Post by BOZO »

You may want to look at what its Target variable is set to at the crash time. I have noticed that if Target is set to none or if it is pointing to something that is about to be destroyed that you get flaky operation that can lead to crashes.
Darn Floppy Feet!!
{KDS}BOZO/BOZO/LordBozo
Zombie
Administrator

Post by Zombie »

If it is what's referenced to Target causing the problem then it being 'None' doesn't seem to be the cause. The ScriptedPawn.VictoryDance state has a check when Target is none where the function is used and there still was that crash.

function PickDestination()
{
      local Actor path;
      local vector destpoint;

if (Target == None)
      {
            WhatToDoNext('Waiting', 'TurnFromWall'); 
            return;
      }
Maybe the object referenced to Target is flagged 'bDeleteMe' just before, but I don't think that's it either.

The FindRandomDest() crash can occur in illhaven_3 too. Perhaps there is a similarity to what causes the processes of that function to crash, and what's happening with FindPathToward(). The illhaven_3 map could be used for trying to reproduce this crash. A buggy map must have an effect with this just as it does with FindRandomDest().

-Zombie
.:..:
OldUnreal Member

Post by .:..: »

I had this problem with 1 my map a while ago, when I looked in editor at the paths.. 1 path went though half of the map (walls and everything) by some unknown reason. I simply just defined paths again and problem was solved.
1823223D2A33224B0 wrote:...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD :P
(ಠ_ಠ)
asgard12000
OldUnreal Member

Post by asgard12000 »

The spinner checks actor none and bdeleteme in its state hunting so thats not its prob. I even set playerpawn to bdeleteme during a game while it was hunting me and no crash.

It may not be that hard to see if the pathing is causing probs (in this case) as the only place in eldora that has gasbags is at the end of the level. (or check with editor) and that part of the level is tiny.

Maybe its prossible to replicate the crash by making a slow moving gasbag that you summon behind the big rock in that level and then run the opposite side of the rock or down the well etc causing the gasbag to go hunting. (havent tried it yet). Might take a lot of attempts tho, until it choose the crashing path.

What does breadthPathFrom do? Does it for example call the trace function to see if the paths are clear?

Return to “Report Bugs in Unreal 226 versions”