For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

PowerMac testers needed

Other old Topics
Smirftsch
Administrator

PowerMac testers needed

Post by Smirftsch »

as some of you maybe have seen here:
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1269715987

I bought some older PowerMac G5 and made a Mac Port of 227g. On my Mac it runs without any problems so far, while I just don't have the time to test everything.
In short, I need testers.

There is no Intel Mac based port yet since I can't afford such a machine.

PM or message me.

~Smirftsch
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
BrakeDanceJ
OldUnreal Member

Re: PowerMac testers needed

Post by BrakeDanceJ »

I have an old iMac with OSX on it; more than willing to lend a hand testing!

Also, my girlfriend has a new Mac Book, I'd be willing to test a build out on that as well!
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

for now it will only work on PPC based Macs, as said above.
Will create a package with the next internal 227g release then :), but message me via ICQ/MSN/IRC please.
That was fast, lol
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shivaxi »

I have access to macs every day......in school that is...dunno if I could sneak Unreal on there and give it a go lol...maybe...

I don't remember what version they are...they're from last year though. And I know Peanuts has a mac laptop. I'll see if he's up to it.
Image  Image
Tyronesdaddy

Post by Tyronesdaddy »

I have a Powermac G4 dp 867 running 10.4.11 and 9.2.2 and would like to beta test v227.  
Last edited by Tyronesdaddy on Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

The husband if my sister has a brandnew MAC system and ill ask him if he is willing to become a tester and register here. But i cant make a promise it will work. But cant harm to make a serious request :)

Not to mention the danger that is involved if i visit them and and """"accidentelly"""" kill the damn MAC  ::)

Yeah i had to post this as well: [url=http://www.unrealtexture.com/Media/Pictures/4165.jpg]4165.jpg[/url]

:)

But seriously, i will ask him to do lots of testing and ill make it clear to him its important and have him post the results here.
Last edited by DieHard SCWS on Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
OldUnreal Member

Post by [§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ »

[url=http://www.unrealtexture.com/Media/Pictures/4165.jpg]4165.jpg[/url]
LOL
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

I asked my inlaw, but unfortunatelly he told he doesnt have the time to go do that. So that ends there, i am gonna provide him a copy of Unreal anyway just in case he might change his mind. But maybe its smart to post the request on MAC games forums to ask if people are willing to do testing.

In the meantime i did make a request on the BeyondUnreal forums to come forward if you got a Mac.

And since i dont know much about it. Do you mean people need to use the Mac Unreal that was released by Epic, or do they need to install a 224 Unreal on something like Bootcamp that simulates a Windows environment?
Skw

Post by Skw »

I have old iMac G3 indigo with Mac OS X Panther and 768MB SD ram.

Specs: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_500_indigo.html

Works great! I want to be a tester.
Last edited by Skw on Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

I asked my inlaw, but unfortunatelly he told he doesnt have the time to go do that. So that ends there, i am gonna provide him a copy of Unreal anyway just in case he might change his mind. But maybe its smart to post the request on MAC games forums to ask if people are willing to do testing.

In the meantime i did make a request on the BeyondUnreal forums to come forward if you got a Mac.

And since i dont know much about it. Do you mean people need to use the Mac Unreal that was released by Epic, or do they need to install a 224 Unreal on something like Bootcamp that simulates a Windows environment?

Well, if he has a new Mac it won't work anyways, since the current port is for PowerMacs only and not for Intel based macs. But thanks for the try.

As requirement any version of Unreal should be fine, since only the game content is needed, the patch provides all necessary system files.
However, I still have some problems with OpenAL and due to my bad condition (nothing serious, just feeling not so well) and a lot of work in the last days I wasn't able yet to create a full testing package.
Guess until the end of the week I can provide one.
In question is still if and what response I get from Epic about some installer environment.

But great to see some activity here now :)
Last edited by Smirftsch on Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Bad news folks.
Epic denied me a release of the Mac version. So I have no choice but to drop it.

Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

Thats some really bad news, especially with all the work you put in it.
I would have loved to see a version of unreal able to run on osx, so many games got ported to it i don't understand why epic denies unreal that.

Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

It seems that they can't leave up this decision to me but don't want to spend the time (and maybe money and lawyers for legal stuff with their licensees) to do it themselves.
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

Thats a pitty, but what can you do.....
Gizzy
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gizzy »

Damnnnn, that really sucks :(

At least you got a Linux port working :P
Tyronesdaddy

Post by Tyronesdaddy »

I don't understand this. Epic allows development of v227 for the pc environment but will not allow it for the Mac?
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

My understanding is that smirf was allowed for "windows patches" only initially. Linux support is a given since all that stuff is free, no licensing and craziness.
agrund

Post by agrund »

I run Unreal in OS X (10.4.11) using the Unreal Tournament release Unreal Tournament X 1.0pr3. That was the last preview release allowing UT to run in OS X. Runs okay, but no music. The Unreal OS X file is actually a hacked version of this. If you add Oldskool to the UT release, you can also run Unreal as well as all the extra maps, campaigns etc. that  have been  created. They all run fine on my G4. You may have to play with the .ini file to get everything to run the first time. Check .ini resolution settings.

I don't know if there are problems using these files with 10.5.

Use http://homepage.mac.com/lorna/.Public/UnrealOSX.zip for direct download of the Unreal OS X file.

For the UT preview help files - http://www.pure-mac.com/action.html#unrealt.

For last Mac UT update: http://www.skaarjmonuments.com/Downloads/Patches/ut436update.sit

Direct download link for UT preview file - http://infiltration.sentrystudios.net/INFManual/utxp3.sit

For more info:

http://forums.macnn.com/77/gaming/282995/unreal-os-x-no-audio-imac/

I find this info about a Mac-PPC 227 version amazing. Does this mean I finally get music back under OS X after all these years? Wow.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Music and Sound is working fine. Also OpenGL with all features.
But thing is, Epic told me to trash it, so I will be never able to release it to the public.
agrund

Post by agrund »

Arrgh!

Stop torturing me. :'(
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Ain't my intention nor my decision...
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

The only thing you could really do is email epic saying you would buy this particular port of Unreal on mac steam, but I don't foresee that working without a LOT of people emailing about it.

Return to “Archived Topics”