For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

How to export Rune assets (or most anything else)

Dash through horders of enemies and slay your way to valhalla.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

How to export Rune assets (or most anything else)

Post by gopostal »

I'm going to be out of action until next week sometime but I offered to a couple of people to teach them how to export assets from the Rune demo when I get back. This would also apply to just about any unreal engine game and even a bunch of other engine games. I'll show you how to export a mushroom from Rune and import it as a placeable actor in Unreal. It's not hard and aside from a texture conversion program all the tools are free and I'll link everything ahead of time. (I use PS so I'm not sure if paint/etc will do targa to bmp?)

As a bonus if there is interest I'll walk you through the process of exporting a PSK/PSA asset from Rune and bringing that into Unreal in fully usable form. I'm not going to get into the coding part but I'll show you how to go from Rune asset to a compiled unreal asset that has a model with working animations.

I run a private teamspeak and I'll do it there so PM me back if you are interested. Full credits for this knowledge goes to Bob and Gizzy who taught me the process. It's insanely fun to grab assets from other games and use them. You should see the Portal level that Bob did. Without the HUD you'd be hard pressed to tell if you are in a Valve game or an Unreal game. It's that good.

Anyway if there is interest I'd be glad to do it. BTW, I know the legalities of actually doing asset grabbing. I'm only teaching the 'how' part. Implementing that knowledge is up to you. That's why this will be private.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
dustinechoes849
OldUnreal Member

Re: How to export Rune assets (or most anything else)

Post by dustinechoes849 »

(I use PS so I'm not sure if paint/etc will do targa to bmp?)
savin' a BMP out of a targa using Paint.NET

sounds cool!
:)
This would be really useful for me personally, as I'd like to get better at porting stuff into Unreal. :D

Though I don't have Rune, is the demo free?

are the psk/psa files like the ones you get in umodel? I've always wondered how to use those in Unreal
Last edited by dustinechoes849 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rubie
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rubie »

Strange we have several topic about same question ?
[url]http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1474153034/1#1[/url]

Greets,Rubie
I have no signature :)
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

The psa/psk files are converted by umodel from the specific Rune-Only format. The psa/psk files are the skeletalmeshes first used in ps2 UT and UT patches with bonuspack 4, the xan 2/warboss is using the psk stuff for example.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

I'm back home but I'm a mess. It's going to be a few days before I feel good enough to do much. To show you what I'm going to do with you interested people I spent about 30 minutes doing a *very* rough import/conversion/scripting on the giant crab and plugged it into the pupae. Here's the result:

I know there are numerous problems with it because I just don't feel like polishing any more than this demo needs to show you (this wore me out). I want you to see that games may contain a proprietary format but like I said before assets are assets and when I show you a couple of tricks I've figured out playing with this stuff you'll see how easy it is to import a shit-ton of content from any number of games or engines.

Give me a couple more days and we'll start getting something together.
Rubie
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rubie »

I'm back home but I'm a mess. It's going to be a few days before I feel good enough to do much. To show you what I'm going to do with you interested people I spent about 30 minutes doing a *very* rough import/conversion/scripting on the giant crab and plugged it into the pupae. Here's the result:

I know there are numerous problems with it because I just don't feel like polishing any more than this demo needs to show you (this wore me out). I want you to see that games may contain a proprietary format but like I said before assets are assets and when I show you a couple of tricks I've figured out playing with this stuff you'll see how easy it is to import a shit-ton of content from any number of games or engines.

Give me a couple more days and we'll start getting something together.

lol big chunks hahahahaha realy funny, btw recover fast take care
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Yeah, I didn't bother with scripting a carcass class or any supporting stuff. This is just the default pupae code with the crab model and the closest animations substituted for the ones in the pupae code. It really needs a full day of tweaking the animations and behavior to look good but this serves the purpose that I wanted to show it's not only possible but rather easy once you know the process.

I'm slowly getting back up to speed. Put my servers back online but it will be the weekend before I'm 100%. I can be in my teamspeak on Sunday morning to answer questions and show you via teamviewer how to do this stuff if anyone is still interested.

If you'd rather it was done privately that's no problem. Message me here or use my email (agutgopostal at gmail dot com) and I'll work out a time that fits us both.

Just a quick word about content ownership: it never hurts to ask. Before I went exporting the entire Rune asset catalog I'd request permission from the content owners first. You'd be surprised at how much some groups will allow if you ask nicely and explain what you are doing. Most of these guys are gamers and nerds and they understand the mod culture. Back when I was wanting do the Postal Babes mod for UT I emailed Running With Scissors and asked if I could do it. I got an email back from the owner. He spent the first two paragraphs threatening me with lawsuits and legal action. In the last one though he said "Just fucking with you! Hahaha!" and he told me they were happy I was asking and they were interested to see what I'd come up with. The guy was a huge nerd fan and totally understood our shared interests. I got to do the mod without worry and that's why there is a small badge with the RWS logo in the mod. They didn't ask for that, I did it as thanks for them letting me.

Anyway, try asking. I think you'd be surprised.
Rubie
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rubie »

problems = there is no site with support for this game that works lol.
Finally mailed to this address gamerzcity.co.uk but after some search this is death too hehe

Will do a META search soon :)

Found this and did mailed them info@humanhead.com
Last edited by Rubie on Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

That's the spirit Rubie! There's some good content in this game, very usable for Unreal and UT.

I'm working on a demo of the SnowBeast, the crab just wasn't very good as a project presentation. A better monster might get more people interested. I'll post up a vid when I get it done.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

This kind of approach used to work, but I am foremost interested in contacting humanhead studios due to their deal back before Unreal was finished, you see all the beta content someone might have...but so far there isn't any working contact and a friend told me that all communication with them he tried went nowhere, which kinda put me off it. Though it was not Rune-involved.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Here's a quick demo of the usable SnowBeast, exported and textured:

I didn't code anything for him I just rigged the mesh to a bunch of my goGo dancers to show the animations. The sounds are all various rips from the SnowBeast sounds.

There's enough material in Rune that it shouldn't be forgotten. We could for sure use these monsters and I know the MonsterHunt community would be all over it. Hopefully permission comes through. Got my fingers crossed Rubie...
dustinechoes849
OldUnreal Member

Here's a quick demo of the usable SnowBeast, exported and textured:

I didn't code anything for him I just rigged the mesh to a bunch of my goGo dancers to show the animations. The sounds are all various rips from the SnowBeast sounds.

There's enough material in Rune that it shouldn't be forgotten. We could for sure use these monsters and I know the MonsterHunt community would be all over it. Hopefully permission comes through. Got my fingers crossed Rubie...
That's pretty neato :D

If making that into a fully functional monster, would you code it so when its health is low, to change to that bloody/cut up/damaged skin?
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Yeah, you could even sub-divide the textures into sections on the model and determine if it was an arm or leg that got hit and bloody up only that limb. There's a ton of stuff that can be done, including adding breath mist if it's cold etc.

When I wanted to make Godzilla I was going to do this exact thing and show damage per area hit. I just cannot get over that hump and learn modelling. No matter how much time I spend on it the procedures to animate a skeleton remain opaque to me. I wish I lived somewhere I could take a class or something.
Rubie
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rubie »

Yes the beast looks realy nice, we could add this to my project, also the running anims looks great, if he would be bound by chains, (movers) and then release the beast lol.
Good Job Mr GoPostal

greets, Rubie
Ohiohd

Post by Ohiohd »

It's Great. The Snow Beast has always been one of my favorite low poly models.
Last edited by Ohiohd on Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dustinechoes849
OldUnreal Member

Rubie
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rubie »

For converting image files you can download a good program from my dropbox.
the one you can find on the net has a virus, thisone not!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpmra626mcdd5 ... r.rar?dl=0

Have fun it converts everything sofar I know that is an image to pcx or bmp or wathever you want that is listed in the program

Greets, Rubie
Last edited by Rubie on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rune”