For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Tribes Vengeance

Here you can add and find information and help for other Unreal Engine titles. Currently for UE1 and UE2 based software.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Tribes Vengeance

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Wow well I only watched a partial playthrough and speedrun, but wow this game. It uses Unreal Engine 2, a version refered to as the Vengeance engine...

but it has so much stuff in it, some of the artwork is obviously inspired by the unreal titles developed around the same time, but holy shit why wasn't there a singleplayer Unreal game with this scale? Tribes was always primarily multiplayer except for tribes extreme (cancelled) and the removed singleplayer stuff for Tribes 2. With this game it was different but they really did an impressive job imo and they got screwed over by Vivendi too and the magazines skimmed on this one. One thing I don't care about are those colloseum etc matches, which is pseudo multiplayer stuff. So this game is kind of opposite of Unreal Championship 2 with its singleplayer campaign having bits of pseudo singleplayer content.

But really, it seems to have vehicle sections that work and don't seem too forced, basically like singleplayer version of many of the better things about the UT games (especially since 2kx), I can perfectly imagine this game having a makeover with unreal content instead of tribes and it would work as well. The beginning is similar to what I imagined Unreal 3 could start as, too.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: Tribes Vengeance

Post by Hellkeeper »

I have it somewhere. Played most of the SP fifteen years ago, it was subpar. Tribes in entirely a multiplayer game.
You must construct additional pylons.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Hellkeeper wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:47 am I have it somewhere. Played most of the SP fifteen years ago, it was subpar. Tribes in entirely a multiplayer game.
I think it has a SP potential. I am not saying its not rough around the edges but what I saw was good except for the colliseum matches. The scale of the maps is great and it feels quite dynamic. For Unreal 3 I imagined the beginning to be on a ship in space where stuff would collapse, entire floors where you'd have to slide down. Something similar happened here although not as good as I imagined for Unreal 3 and so on. It feels a lot of the Vengeance stuff is just content swap for Unreal stuff. Like that CogCity map from the Unreal Warfare leak...its like that one "training" map past the ship is like a content swapped copy in a way, part of it is from not playable area of the original but they obviously got inspired and since there was no unreal warfare being released at that form I can imagine them basically taking heavy inspiration and just redoing the staticmeshes themselves and using a similar layout. I bet they just played around in the original map (I did port it to u2xmp btw) and found it not bad for tribes stuff.

It definitely looks something like I'd enjoy playing and I wouldn't mind if there was an Unreal game in this similar direction or a spinoff.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

You can always try it, it costs less than 10€ on Amazon and as usual with the Unreal Engine, it'll run on anything
It has aged visually the same way U2 has, acquiring with the years a certain oldschool charm.
I was somewhat disappointed by the game itself. I can't blame it for anything it may have done wrong. I used to play Fallen Empire: Legions at the time and I found Tribes to feel slow and clunky compared to it (Tribes Ascend came out a few years later and was the definitive follow-up to the series).
You must construct additional pylons.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Weird that the reviews on Ascend were way worse than this and there was nothing further. But reading about the background for Vengeance, it wasn't advertised properly due to some office idiot at sierra, was only announced when it was reportedly way in developement, had all kind of other issues that conflicted with what the higher ups thought. Plus the patch they basically finished was never released because Vivendi put a final stop to it (and its a wonder the game even got released because with the acquisition they closed down most projects). It reminds me a bit how Legend was also closed down, it seems all those acquisitions and business "decisions" were common around that time, similarly retarded ones. I think despite all this the developers put their heart into this.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

I played Ascend when it was new, it used to be good, but then Hi-Rez added a bunch of p2w or instead you could grind for weeks, then made the game slower to be more "accessible" to new players then stopped updating it. More or less every patch after a month after release just made it worse. Dropping the speed requirement down to make it easier for new players removed the entire reason some people even played the game -- to go fast. You could just play different classes if you didn't want to go fast or couldn't go fast...

oh well. missed opportunity by them for sure. it was fun while it lasted.

Return to “Unreal Engine 1 and 2”