For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Jazz Jackrabbit 3 Tech Demo save states

Here you can add and find information and help for other Unreal Engine titles. Currently for UE1 and UE2 based software.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Jazz Jackrabbit 3 Tech Demo save states

Post by luke11685 »

If many years ago tech demo of Jazz Jackrabbit tech demo was leaked online then what if in late 90's of XX century Jazz Jackrabbit 2 was made in 3D by Epic(Mega)Games such as Ubisoft's Rayman 2? I guess helicopter old outdated low poly early 3D animations would be very problematic,time consuming,but perhaps even worth of trying. Maybe it would fix saving game state in Unreal Engine/Editor 1998 final build. Adding Lori,Spaz,Jazz 2 enemies,Jazz 2 levels in 3D. Maybe it's Mandela effect,but I think I saw on jazz2online(every copy of it is personalized-Super Mario 64 creepypasta phenomenon hype) Jazz 2 in 3D. I'm not sure if something like that exist. I'm afraid some 3D Sky Boxes would have to putted outside main default middle level map sections. Does UE1 got something like image references in Blender? Retro nostalgic reverse engineering of what if Jazz Jackrabbit 2 would be released in circa anno domini of year of 1998,but in 3D instead of 2D.
viewtopic.php?f=34&p=98403#p98403
Speaking of this thread. I guess if early build of UE1 would be ready in 1995 then UE1998 would be considered to be UE2(but made way much earlier). Cutscenes in 3D,loading screens, online multiplayer servers,3D enemy animations...etc.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Re: Jazz Jackrabbit 3 Tech Demo save states

Post by luke11685 »

It seems I cannot this thread anymore. Including Unreal Script Programming. Adding new textures in Unreal Editor 1998 final build. It seems I cannot add this texture. By choosing New Texture->Properties->SourceTexture->Use it closes itself automatically.
This is Lab Rat cropped background texture from Lab Rat captured from Jazz Creation Station from Chapter Shareware Demo from Jazz Jackrabbit 2 The Secret Files.
Imgur wouldn't let me upload .bmp(I even have .pcx and .utx files) file with image size 256x256. I forgot which size is the right correct one for old outdated Unreal Editor 1.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

256x256 is acceptable, any size basically with powers of two but the engine will have trouble handling really big stuff unless its compressed anyways. You can also pre-scale the texture within unrealed with its properties, which is actually the reason why the big s3tc textures still work on surfaces without rescaling. This is an approach that unfortunately Unreal PSX didn't follow though, hence the need of the maps to be retextured and every surface rescaled.

Either way watch out for the colors though, if its not s3tc stuff you need to do 8bit colors per texture.

EDIT: Luke please stay focused and don't overcomplicate things. I know you can do it. Don't talk about everything that you possibly can in one sentence.

Are you aware that there is more than just one version of Jazz3D now? Like stuff way back from 2017 when I went to jazz2online? They didn't want to host those files in the end because of their policy (even though it was legit and not problematic at this point, legally speaking), but yea there was also a cd that bryan received that allowed the release of a jazz2 beta that had exe working under ms-dos even.

There really wasn't a 3d jazz2 as such, there might have been some fan remakes wip, although the document tim's log states in the uengine early licenses deals a possible 3d jazz2, so there is that, but I don't think it was even started as such in that phase and it could have been a typo/mistake too. There are of course also the 3d jazz2 stages that were unfinished. So I can tell you this much. Jazz2 as it was released was still basically beta, due to Unreal taking priority the developement got delayed and almost nothing happened for a year on jazz2. Its still basically a beta game with lots of unfinished stuff in it including the 3d stages.
EDIT2: Basically I did manage to get out majority of what remained unreleased for Jazz3d, another 400 version build and a 224 build with some swappable system files and maps and some loose files later. Few levels weren't found of some old screenshots but most of it was in the end, including the pyramidus levels and the whale belly levels.
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

I guess that unfinished Jazz 2 3D bonus levels that ones from Jazz 1. It looks like I cannot add this texture fragment from Lab Rat.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

luke11685 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:46 pm I guess that unfinished Jazz 2 3D bonus levels that ones from Jazz 1. It looks like I cannot add this texture fragment from Lab Rat.
There might be either a problem with the name of this texture or its colors, that's what I think it is but cannot tell for sure now. It might help posting editor.log or the lines containing the error at least because we don't need to see all the text from editor.log. Just the warnings.

Also please take a look at the last edit of my previous message as I'm not sure you're aware of this stuff.
EDIT: Yes the unfinished 3d bonus levels were kind of like the jazz ones, if that's what you mean. The sprites and maybe even some functions, for the 3d stages exist in the game and its dev builds...
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Does it this texture have to be named differently?

Yeah it's open source unofficial fangame project. Of what if Jazz Jackrabbit 2 was made in 3D instead of 2D by Epic(Mega)Games in circa anno domini of year of 1998.Speaking of retro nostalgic reverse engineering.
I guess you had that early JJ3D earlier builds download links in older interface of old unreal forums.
Usually old outdated Unreal Engine 1 games in Unreal Editor 1 got displayable automatically level maps nowadays.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I haven't watched the video just seen the preview picture so I can't clearly see it but it seems like it displays completely black. You might need to convert the image then, via programs like bright or if you don't feel like bothering with that, you can try decreasing colors in programs like irfanview (it can do basic image editing as well and some fancy filters/effects).

As for the rest:

btw again reverse engineering is something completely else, reverse engineering is not making a 3d game remake from scratch, reverse engineering is for example if you manage to get bits of source code out of compiled program or hack the program to do something else.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

I guess reverse engineering is related only to 2D games not stuff in 3D.
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

- It's strange how a 256x256 BMP weighs exactly 104KB. Perhaps it's RLE-compressed or misnamed or corrupted?
- Using the same Package and Group name sounds like a bad idea. BTW, Package and Group correspond to the second and third dropdown menu (not the "Browse" one), also Group can be None.
- What does "Blur the texture" even do?
- Then you create another texture with the same name/package/group, overwriting the original one. BTW, you should only use the "create texture" option when making fire/wet/etc textures, not for "normal" textures.
- Then there's a 104KB UTX file? I don't even know what is going on.
Last edited by yrex . on Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

luke11685 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:08 am I guess reverse engineering is related only to 2D games not stuff in 3D.
No. But I suppose you will see it more often with old 2d games that lack source code release etc.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

I'm recreating level map from Jazz Jackrabbit 2 The Secret Files Carrotus Castle Training Tutorial Room in 3D in UE1(final build) and I can't import this texture. Anyway maybe I took wrong name approach of this thread topic if it sounds confusing for anyone here.
I took it from Jazz Creation Station.
I scaled this texture so it might me looking more like this.
As you see here I've recolored it.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

I'm recreating level map from Jazz Jackrabbit 2 The Secret Files Carrotus Castle Training Tutorial Room in 3D in UE1(final build) and I can't import this texture. Anyway maybe I took wrong name approach of this thread topic if it sounds confusing for anyone here.
I took it from Jazz Creation Station.
I scaled this texture so it might me looking more like this.
As you see here I've recolored it.
How to add music in level map? But since it's started as unofficial open source fangame project game mod work in progress thread name.
Should I check older forum to download that older earlier builds of Jazz Jackrabbit 3 Tech Demo?
Scaling brushed meshes in quite very frustrating. If I would or someone would recommend me Blender. To make some things easier. If I would finish making level map later all I need in UE1 is to import brushed level map,right? Should it be .obj or .dae?
Would it be too long file name? I named like that because maybe someday in future jazz2online would try porting Jazz Jackrabbit 2 The Secret Files in 2D to Unreal Editor/Engine 1 just like someone did it within Unreal Engine 4 somebody from Jazz2Online Forum/Server Community.
By the way I couldn't save in Adobe Photoshop this texture.

As you see here below guys.
Last edited by luke11685 on Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

"unofficial open source fangame project game mod work in progress thread name."

That is the best sentence ever. LoL

Either way all the jazz3d demos and content so far are here:
https://www.newbiesplayground.net/downl ... pfb-cat-93
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Well thanks. Or Just Jazz Jackrabbit 2 in 3D(Work In Progress)Unreal Engine 1998 Final Build.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Why is camera spinning with 360 degrees in this 224 Patch Jazz Jackrabbit 3 Tech Demo?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

You can toggle that if i recall correctly, but it shouldn't be "spinning" all the time. Also it is not 224 patch its just built on version 224, just like the version you used is one of the 400 ones. Also, save games do work on the 224 version.

also...what the heck, you do realize you need to add a playerstart actor in order to be able to play a map right? It is under navigationpoint
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Yeah,but things got complicated.

It seems I couldn't send previous comment(felt into dark abyss digital dark oblivion being terminated for good permanently) because I was waiting for video upload on YouTube so have I type new comment now?
Darn token.
I lost this comment for good forever. It was very important to me. In old Unreal Engine Forums. Unfinished comments had backup. I don't have it.
I guess that's what happens if someone like me download and install manually Jazz Jackrabbit 3 Tech Demo Version 400 within JazzGruff's 1.3C Unofficial Fanmade Patch.
Just testing if it's working.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Why I cannot run Jazz3D.exe? But I used Player Start. Now that long named level map in UE1 is empty,blank I didn't delete it. Anyway how to extract JJ2 textures from JCS and importing to UE1 textures properly so Unreal Editor 1 won't close automatically itself. I guess hoverskate flying skateboard(like in Back to The Future-from circa Anno Domini of year of 1984/1985,Disney's version of Treasure Planet from 2002)setting anti-gravity would it be very difficult?
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

I guess I will have to import scripts for springs jumping from Sonic Adventure. Which port should I use? PC,Sega Saturn,Sega Dreamcast,PS3,Xbox 360,PS2 or Game Cube version? To Unreal Editor 1998 final build. Same goes for shield items from Sonic Adventure 1,Sonic Adventure 2(game engine names are not known for me). I guess it's gonna be complicated I mean complexed. I'm not sure if files gonna be supportable for Unreal Editor 1. I will need some help guys. Tutorials were very helpful. How I'm gonna export/import level map designs 3D modelling from Blender to Unreal Editor 1? Does Unreal Editor 1 got background images adding images feature such as Blender? There are links,some websites where you can see entire whole all foreground 2D platform landscapes in case of for instance Rayman 1,classic Sonic the Hedgehog game series(from 1991)Jazz Jackrabbit 1,Jazz Jackrabbit 2,Jazz Jackrabbit Advance. Anyway how to add music to level map same as PlayerStart in Unreal Classess?
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

I used some level map 2D tilesets preview(not landscape)back then I was playing Rayman Advance(which was release for original Rayman 1 PC)for GameBoy Advance(it helped me collecting all cages to complete the game). Retro nostalgic stuff.
How to export level map in Blender to Unreal Editor 1 as .ase file format extension. I don't have that large enough PC monitor like monitors at cinemas to take one big screenshot picture to for instance as an example to put/import it to Unreal Editor 1. What happened with his body textures of Jazz Jackrabbit?
Hm strange I deleted attachment link.
How can I be correctly importing/adding textures? Not from any Unreal Engine 1998 final build PC made games.Custom ones. Made by someone like me.
How many polygons UE1 would support for 3D low poly cutscenes? Undertale 64 was looking amazing,but it was fanmade not by Toby Fox.
Should I use old JJ3D 3d model,3d animations or from JazzGruff's patch(new unfinished Jazz 3d model-more photorealistic view especially eyes more human-like speaking of furries)? Or brand new look?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Same goes for lizard in mesh viewer.
Should it be saved as 24-bit .bmp I chose Paint because Photoshop don't let me using red paint color.
Could it be low disk space?
Work in progress in Blender.
Same for Lizard mesh.
It's also by mysterious reasons untextured. How to fix it?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Please just slow down. Just take it one step at a time. It's a good advice, I had to learn it myself.

Your overly chaotic way of working is not helping things right now.

You cannot import scripts from sonic games. That's not possible. You could take inspiration from them but not import them as such. And there's probably already some jumppads and such in the jazz3 codebase that you can use instead and if not you can use a script from ut or whatever. The Sonic games do not use unrealscript either. You just cannot mix it like that.

This is all advice I can give you for now....I might be gone for very long now depending on what happens next.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Oh okay. Let's slow down my problems just a little bit to discuss everyone of them. Separately. Less chaotic. Or absolutely no chaotic.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Should I split(multiply)this thread into multiple several parts?
Sooner or later I would need to test this map recreation from Jazz Jackrabbit 2. Maybe there's no need to rush,but I can't test it. I clicked Play Level(in older another version I mean it didn't work as far as I remember correctly) in UnrealEditor.exe and here's what happened another error.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

It looks like I cannot edit my previous comment. I just want to know at least only one last thing before I go making level map design. Blender has no support for .t3d files fomat extensions,right?
https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/blend ... t3d/115477
It looks like plugin couldn't be even loaded. I just completely forgot to mention it to talk about it yesterday. I'll do my best at least try not talking after this comment at least for a while.
http://www.clintons3d.com/plugins/wip/index.html
https://github.com/Siccity/t3dImporter Instead of Blender it's Unity. Mind blowing stuff.
https://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:T3D_File
https://fileinfo.com/extension/t3d

Return to “Unreal Engine 1 and 2”