For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Running Unreal 1995 Tech Demo in Windows 10

Here you can add and find information and help for other Unreal Engine titles. Currently for UE1 and UE2 based software.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Re: Running Unreal 1995 Tech Demo in Windows 10

Post by luke11685 »

Oh okay.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Anyway I have some new errors running ue95. I downloaded that ue1 earlier multiple builds.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I give up, its no use.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Wasn't I listening to you? Did I say something wrong? Did I insult you?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Its too tiring besides I can't really test it myself and help you debug.

The graphic error one is related to what I said before though, you need to first run unreal.exe of the corresponding version, don't try it with the september 1995 version as that one is not fully compatible. It expects some files to be in the windows directory hence the missing graphic error. Then you can try again but I'd recommend against it anyways. Not with the september version imo. Again as I said, this works differently than release unrealed...it takes the last unreal alpha or beta you ran and works with it.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Anyway I don't have that september build of Unreal Engine 1 prototype. So I won't use it.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I linked to it in a previous post:
viewtopic.php?p=98520#p98520

the "edit" line has it

Also, its possible its still required by the edior mode later just couldn't recall it. Maybe yrex could post a step by step way or something to make it clear what to do from getgo.
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

How to edit maps in November and December 1995 Unreal builds:

- Run unreal.exe as admin and close it (so it registers as the "current" version).

- Download Alternative UnrealEd: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3724

- Extract, copy dlls from "Wrappers\Unreal November 95 alpha" to the main directory.

- Open "AlternativeUEdSettings.ini", remove everything and paste this:

Code: Select all

compat cameraupdate=open
backups=off
backups timeminutes=5
startup lastmap=off
startup log=hide
startup camera=off
editing deselect actors on polyselect=off
editing actoradd on classselection=on
editing cameramove on brushbuild=on
editing actormove cameramove on actorselection=on
checkbrush=on
compat textureupdate=off
editing rtclick menu=on
compat u95=on
startup lastmappath=
playmap path=
playmap prearg="
playmap postarg="
viewports=none
asksave=on
texbr=families
soundbr=families
musicbr=0.867
resbr=u95
startup gamma=3
startup usegamma=on
compat actor duplicate=off
- Copy GRAPHICS.UNR, BACKDROP.PCX and perhaps PALETTE.PCX to System32.

- Start the editor and have fun.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Thanks, if that wasn't clear for him then I don't know what will be.Now I guess with the reader he'd only be confused further so if anything he should try just making maps for now, even though there are no ready texture packages for unreal 1995 and everything was in the maps themselves.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Is Unreal Tournament4 forum dead due to Fortnite? Because I can't login anymore.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

The game is dead, not sure about the forum.....but yea the game is dead mostly due to fortnite but it had already some bad decisions in the developement prior to the halting of it all.

But what has that to do with Unreal 1995?
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

It looks like I can be easly simply loggedin here than in different forum dedicated to different Unreal game series(related to online multiplayer arena shooter genre).
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

You really make little sense dude, really, sometimes you're just way too random.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Is there some unofficial patch fix for Unreal (circa anno domini of year of)1995 Level Editor because I want to put Doom 2 game mod Jazz(Jackrabbit) is in Doom from Id Tech 1 into Unreal Engine 1995 Tech Demo PC conversion.
I need some help with it here.
Retro reverse engineering stuff(nostalgia in nutshell).
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

luke11685 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:44 pm Is there some unofficial patch fix for Unreal (circa anno domini of year of)1995 Level Editor because I want to put Doom 2 game mod Jazz(Jackrabbit) is in Doom from Id Tech 1 into Unreal Engine 1995 Tech Demo PC conversion.
I need some help with it here.
Retro reverse engineering stuff(nostalgia in nutshell).
You'd have more luck modding the 1996 versions honestly (the ones that are avaiable and that was thanks to some people from cyberlore still having the unrealed builds they used to built emissary from).

But yes, I told you use yrex's alternateed. Did they erase your mind somewhere again? Did you forget?
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Who exactly would erase my mind? Anyway maybe perhaps I ignored and not reading all previous comments carefully and accurately. I just created multiple threads so it's hard to say which one should I read entire whole text.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Okay this is what happened after I tried to run AltEd. By the I can't find I was trying Googling it ue95readerplus tool patch/version(for this old outdated game engine earlier build of UE1). Where can I find it? Any download link?
Maybe user EvilCleric cast a spell for amnesia on me like in Harry Potter series.
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

Download U95 Reader

UnInterfaceWrapper.dll (along with the other dll) is located in Wrappers -> Unreal November 95 alpha
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Thanks pal. I'll try it to see if that's gonna work or not.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:20 pm The game is dead, not sure about the forum.....but yea the game is dead mostly due to fortnite but it had already some bad decisions in the developement prior to the halting of it all.

But what has that to do with Unreal 1995?
The fact (not random anymore I gathered my thoughts right now) I want to say that due to hardware limitations and game development complications poor bad business decisions we never saw in Unreal Engine 1995 something similar to Nintendo's Metroid Prime series similar to Jill of the Jungle series,but in 3D. Years later Jazz Jackrabbit series, Unreal/Tournament/Championship series were forgotten. So nowadays Epic Games are focused on technological improvements and Fortnite/Save the World/Creative/Battle Royale. Well Sega was also delaying their first 3D Sonic games.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Yes its really sad. We still don't know the full story about Metroid Prime though. The rumor is that they could have had unreal engine license before nintendo approached them and it was hushed the fact that the game is clearly somehow based on the unreal tech still. There was probably a connection with the cancelled n64dd port of Unreal, it was basically the same team behind the canned unreal engine hired guns game (psygnosis/dma).

Its possible they were the secret developers that were contacted by nintendo to try n64 metroid and then retro got involved after possibly having some kind of ue2/earlier license. The N64 Unreal Engine could instead have been later repurposed for the DS game Metroid Hunters. I noticed some oddities while playing the game back in 2013, like certain graphical glitches being similar while switching modes to the late 1996 unreal engine (the n64 version forked around then, early 1997 or so). Even more so the fact that I was able to confirm the game does use Movers in fact, yes the DS game Hunters uses Movers as a matter of fact and the game data had it reflected even though I couldn't see it raw. Next I looked at developer screenshots, tracked down from some LDs I found that worked on the game. I found that the editor they used had viewports and options reminescent of the Unreal Engine but changed and with more options (which would again fit with the n64dd port story of them significantly re-writing the engine).

I contacted the guy and talked for a bit, but after I brought up the unreal engine stuff and these things, the guy fell silent like he either never realized this or obviously he got scared because of the hush-hush matter.

Basically its layers over layers and nintendo probably didn't want anyone to reveal the truth as it was most likely covered by these and these separate deals. Not the first time something major would be hushed though, there's enough even in the various recovered files and documents. But the Nintendo stuff wasn't really that much talked about there as it was a separate matter and went on in the years after.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:24 pm Yes its really sad. We still don't know the full story about Metroid Prime though. The rumor is that they could have had unreal engine license before nintendo approached them and it was hushed the fact that the game is clearly somehow based on the unreal tech still. There was probably a connection with the cancelled n64dd port of Unreal, it was basically the same team behind the canned unreal engine hired guns game (psygnosis/dma).

Its possible they were the secret developers that were contacted by nintendo to try n64 metroid and then retro got involved after possibly having some kind of ue2/earlier license. The N64 Unreal Engine could instead have been later repurposed for the DS game Metroid Hunters. I noticed some oddities while playing the game back in 2013, like certain graphical glitches being similar while switching modes to the late 1996 unreal engine (the n64 version forked around then, early 1997 or so). Even more so the fact that I was able to confirm the game does use Movers in fact, yes the DS game Hunters uses Movers as a matter of fact and the game data had it reflected even though I couldn't see it raw. Next I looked at developer screenshots, tracked down from some LDs I found that worked on the game. I found that the editor they used had viewports and options reminescent of the Unreal Engine but changed and with more options (which would again fit with the n64dd port story of them significantly re-writing the engine).

I contacted the guy and talked for a bit, but after I brought up the unreal engine stuff and these things, the guy fell silent like he either never realized this or obviously he got scared because of the hush-hush matter.

Basically its layers over layers and nintendo probably didn't want anyone to reveal the truth as it was most likely covered by these and these separate deals. Not the first time something major would be hushed though, there's enough even in the various recovered files and documents. But the Nintendo stuff wasn't really that much talked about there as it was a separate matter and went on in the years after.
Well in past in circa Anno Domini of late 1980's(80's of XX century)and early 1990's Nintendo and Sony had originally intended to work on SNES CD(hardware add-on,but was rejected,unreleased,unfinished,scrapped),Nintendo Playstation(prototype) and N64DD(MOTHER 3,Quest 64 II,Conker's Twelve Tales(Conker 64),Dinosaur Planet,Metroid 64,Super Mario 64 II(Super Mario 128),Luigi's Mansion,Superman 64,Ura Zelda...etc. By the way I want to make IdTech 1 conversion of Doom 2 game mod Jazz is in Doom to Unreal 1995 Tech Demo eventually I could maybe do Jill of the Jungle 3D remake(or something like that). Something more fantasy than science-fiction.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Did you lost your patience by helping me try running UE95 on Win10 already? Hashtag emoji facepalm. Okay jokes aside. So should it be right version. I heard some builds might and won't work properly. Not that I'm still confused,mindblown,but something is still wrong. I think I have the right file(build). Can you tell me what's the difference,please?
It looks like I didn't listening,reading carefully.
I was just following user yrex's steps. Is it like that I still have wrong old,outdated build that won't work?
Let's you know how to solve it guys. It didn't help unfortunetely.
I just tried to done what he'd asked me to do.
Are these right builds downloadable in tcrf.net?
Which one should it be november 1995 build,but not september 1995,right guys?
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

Wait, if I wasn't clear enough, the wrapper dlls have to go into the same folder as the editor (not the game).
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Oh okay.

Return to “Unreal Engine 1 and 2”