For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Running Unreal 1995 Tech Demo in Windows 10

Here you can add and find information and help for other Unreal Engine titles. Currently for UE1 and UE2 based software.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Re: Running Unreal 1995 Tech Demo in Windows 10

Post by luke11685 »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:11 pm Run it as administrator, if doesn't work please post error message. There are actually three winnt3.x unreal 95 versions floating out there, four if you count the broken distributio with the missing map. The most known one has basically just maps while the other one has monsters and another one the 1995 unrealed...
He told me I could report bugs/errors. So UedFix4 won't be needed? Did I forgot to download and install manually only one more thing which would explain why it's not working,not running properly still?
I guess it's still not obvious for me,but I'll try again to learn. Humans learn from their entire life. Right guys?
So is this gonna be working fine now? This build?
I think I finally get it now.
But new problems arrived,approached. When I run original ue95(it's just a shortcut)I was expecting running it correctly without any errors,but I wasn't expecting with such unexpected spin turn of events.
It was very important to me to show you that old editor at the my first time. I was just expecting that it's gonna be working fine. But something is still wrong guys. It was never finished before after all being just old,outdated tech demo after all.
It was my awful attempt of trials and errors. Finally it's running,but with some errors at the first glance time I mean.
Is that what you were talking about yrex?
It's working somehow.
I guess I've finally started reading carefully even listening too.Right guys?
AltEd and UnrealReader95 turned out to be very helpful tools,but it looks I cannot open UE1(1995 early build).unr file format only any level map(s).
New problems arrived,arose,approached,showed up right now.
Let me quote it right now.
Are you gonna help me guys anyone,please?
Thanks for tools btw.
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800706BA): The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)
at System.RuntimeType.ForwardCallToInvokeMember(String memberName, BindingFlags flags, Object target, Int32[] aWrapperTypes, MessageData& msgData)
at Unreal.UnrealEdServerClass.Exec(String Cmd)
at UnInterfaceWrapper.UnInterfaceWrapper.Exec(String cmd)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters)
at AlternativeUEd.UnDllLoader.Exec(String cmd)
at AlternativeUEd.UnWrapper.MapLoad(String file)
at AlternativeUEd.SingleWindowInterface.btnOpen_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.MenuItemData.Execute()
at System.Windows.Forms.Command.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Forms.Command.DispatchID(Int32 id)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCommand(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at AlternativeUEd.SingleWindowInterface.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.9151 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
AlternativeUEd
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///F:/Unreal95/AlternativeUEd.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.9149 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.9149 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
UnInterfaceWrapper
CodeBase: file:///F:/Unreal95/UnInterfaceWrapper.DLL
BrushBuilderBase
CodeBase: file:///F:/Unreal95/BrushBuilderBase.DLL
StandardBuilders
CodeBase: file:///F:/Unreal95/BrushBuilders/StandardBuilders.dll
Interop.Unreal
CodeBase: file:///F:/Unreal95/Interop.Unreal.DLL
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I've also discovered finding this thing(tool).
My misunderstand was just part of curiousity.
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

The RPC server is unavailable
That sounds like the editor is trying to talk to Unreal, but the game isn't running for some reason (crashed?).

BTW, there's no need to merge the editor's directory with game's directory. Perhaps that is causing trouble?

Also, the "SYSTEM\System" stuff isn't necessary. That looks like something for final Unreal (which has little in common with those early versions).
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Well it finally worked yesterday. How unfortunate that this early build was never finished so there are no video tutorial documentaries in circa Anno Domini of year of 1995 speaking of the past. Tim Sweeney CEO and Founder of Epic Games never finished this early build he made just tech demo of Unreal Engine 1 earlier builds.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

So is there really no text article tutorial documentations for this earlier UE1 build guys?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

NO!

There is some documentation with later versions/whatever came with the source distribution.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:51 pm NO!

There is some documentation with later versions/whatever came with the source distribution.
Oh okay. Relax dude. I get it. But it might be useful and adequate. It wasn't even finished after all. In past it was just a tech demo.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Wasn't there a .hlp file though(I know, those are difficult to open on modern windows)? Also I wasn't really angry, I was just acting a little bit, like those videos with "NO!" etc reactions.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:04 am Wasn't there a .hlp file though(I know, those are difficult to open on modern windows)? Also I wasn't really angry, I was just acting a little bit, like those videos with "NO!" etc reactions.
Like Doctor Robotnik from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

That's not what I was thinking of but yea... "NO! Everything will be just fine..."
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:57 pm That's not what I was thinking of but yea... "NO! Everything will be just fine..."
Not like in Mega 64 YouTube video Unreal Engine 5 when Epic Games founder and CEO Tim Sweeney got mad. Shouting. Angry American Stereotypical Nerd.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

You do realize that it wasn't really real either right? That even Tim acted there. But I suppose you would have noticed if you watched closely, because it had to be setup upfront with the TV screen and stuff.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:21 am You do realize that it wasn't really real either right? That even Tim acted there. But I suppose you would have noticed if you watched closely, because it had to be setup upfront with the TV screen and stuff.
Were they spying him? I guess they almost would leak Fortnite source code. Possibly they violated NDA.

Return to “Unreal Engine 1 and 2”